Why become a member? ×

Which Aguilar cabs?

SamPlaysBass

Hi guys,

In the next few months, I’m looking to upgrade my TC RH 450 and two RS112s to something a bit more Aguilar shaped. Ideally, an AG700 or TH500 head on top of two 1x12 cabs.

Sonically, what are the qualities (or differences) between the lightweight SL series and the DB series? I see GS cabs floating about the classifieds as well, how do they stack up?

My priorities lay with size as I have limited storage and transport space. Weight is less of an issue - modern 1x12 cabs don’t weigh tonnes and I won’t be moaning about a few kilograms.

Or any other cab suggestions entirely? I can hear the ‘just be done with it and buy Barefaced’ but I’ve been down that route and it’s not for me. I’m pretty set on Aggie but unless someone can suggest otherwise. 

I play an American 5 string Professional Jazz trying to sound like Paul Turner (with 1% of the talent), with lashings of MM StingRay and a P bass with flats. I play an even split of DI to FOH with cabs for monitoring vs playing old social clubs and bars without any PA support. 

I`ve only used the SL cabs at the London Bass Guitar Show, so not in a band setting or in a loud setting (aside from all the slap-fiends in the background of course). My thoughts were they sounded pretty lightweight to match their actual lightweightedness, I wasn`t very impressed at all.

The Ag' GS cabs are less bright and deeper/larger than the newer - SL or DB - ones, so reputed to have more bottom end. There's a guy selling a pair that look to be in good nick on eBay at the moment. In Basingstoke and collection only, so a bit of a trek from S Wales, but they look nice.

12 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I`ve only used the SL cabs at the London Bass Guitar Show, so not in a band setting or in a loud setting (aside from all the slap-fiends in the background of course). My thoughts were they sounded pretty lightweight to match their actual lightweightedness, I wasn`t very impressed at all.

I had exactly the same experience and had exactly the same thoughts! 

IMO two 112 cabs can make a great sound.

Many years ago, I had 2 GS112 cabs and sold them because, while they weren't particularly heavy, the single handle and deep box shape made 42lbs a very heavy and awkward one-handed lift.

I've been using Aguilar amps for a few years now, TH500/AG700, and they are just a great sound. I haven't been back to Aguilar cabs but would recommend Bergantino cabs. They just worked so well with Aggy amps and now I use Barefaced cabs. IMO another step up.

The rs 112 cabs are great little cabs, well built with great sound!!...In the passed i have tried and owned many others and in truth i don't think you would gain that much

I think the weak link is the amp (never liked the tc amps)  how about trying some different amps first. 

• Thanks 1

I've just moved on my Aguilar equipment. I have one SL112 left to shift now.

I played using two SL112s powered by two TH350 heads. I thought they were okay at the time but the new stuff I have is far better in my opinion.

While the SL112s are very, very lightweight, it comes at too much of a cost in my opinion.

The weight/sound ratio is perfect on my new Trickfish TF112 cabs.

I have a pair of SL112s.  I think the expression I'd use is that they're very hi-fi, smooth and honest (in that they're only going to be as good as what you squirt into them).  Conversely, my Barefaced Big One is rude, loud and aggressive by comparison.

The SL112s look lovely...my wife prefers those being out compared against the Barefaced, which is why the Barefaced is out all the time.

• Haha 1

On 01/04/2019 at 13:03, ebenezer said:

The rs 112 cabs are great little cabs, well built with great sound!!...In the passed i have tried and owned many others and in truth i don't think you would gain that much

I think the weak link is the amp (never liked the tc amps)  how about trying some different amps first. 

I’ve had this experiende myself - I bought the RS112s years ago from Thomann when they were cheap. Kept them as backups but they always had more use than any barefaced or Ampeg cab I had and sold on. They’ve always stayed. Maybe I should try an Aguilar shaped head first... 

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

The SL112s look lovely...my wife prefers those being out compared against the Barefaced, which is why the Barefaced is out all the time.

I like the cut of your jib sir !

• Haha 1