Why become a member? ×

Spector Rebop

Fernando Cruz

On 31/03/2019 at 10:59, WHUFC BASS said:

I've not played a Rebop but I'm tempted to try one out. Are they much different to the neck-thru basses both sound-wise and playability?

Mine had a very light body which unfortunately resulted in very poor balance. It just felt odd. But it sounded wonderful. Spectors generally do :biggrin:

I started climbing the Spector ladder so to speak about 8 or so years ago, starting with a Performer (unusually with the curved body), then on to a NS2000/4, finally on to a ReBop Dlx. 

The Performer was great. I bought it used for £150 and couldn't fault it, so when I saw the NS for £225 I had to buy it. I figured if the entry level bass was so good, the next step up would be even better. 

It was! The NS is really something special and not just for the price. Beautiful construction, sounds awesome and plays great. So, thinking along the same lines as the step up from Performer, I saw the ReBop, guessed it would be another step up and be unbelievable. 

It wasn't.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great bit of kit, really well built, great sound etc etc. but... It found itself permanently living on its stand with the NS always taking preference as my go-to bass. I eventually sold it and can honestly say I haven't missed it at all.

That was about 6 years ago and in the meantime I've owned and sold another NS2000, a few Warwicks (I've kept my 90s Corvette), Fender P & Jazz's, a Sire (meh), a Maruszczyk (awesome just not for me) and eventually hit on Sandbergs, which are, for me, better than anything else I've owned. 

Truthfully, the ReBop put a stop to my Spector journey. Had I loved it I would have likely gone on to try the US basses, but unfortunately it had the opposite effect. 

As with all these things, every bass is different so I may just have bought the "wrong" one (the other NS2000 I bought and sold didn't tickle me as much as the one I've kept, I've also had a Sandberg KT Basic that didn't do it for me either), but it just didn't feel particularly special. 

It did look awesome on its stand though :)

IMG_0590.JPG

• Like 3

I had one of the Zebrano topped Rebop DLX 4 models years ago, that I bought from Sound Control in Preston for £549 brand new. Yes, they were great value for money at the time and it was an exceptionally good bass in every respect. Amazing tone and so easy to play. Long since gone, but fondly remembered. 

• Like 2

I've got a Euro 5LX and a Doug Wimbish Signature Spector which is the reason I am curious about the Rebop. I've heard a lot of stories about neck-dive on them and also, not sounds as good as the LX basses.

I first bought an NS2000 which really didn't do it for me at all, weighed a ton and was very anaemic sounding. Could possibly bought a duff one but that put me off Spectors for a while.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

I owned two Spector Rebop 4mm’s and loved them but didn’t find them as versatile as the Euro4lx so I moved them on. Build quality is brilliant. 

The neck bias is minimal and easily tuned out by a good strap.

Czech Spectors really are amazing value and quality. I finally got a US NS4 last year and that’s a bit more versatile in that it does the Spector sound and others too.

• Like 1

I've owned a Spector Rebop 5-string since 2015 and it's my first and only 5-string in over 35 years playing bass.

I love the core tone of this bass, the looks (mine is gloss black flame maple), the light weight and I get on fine with the 35" scale.  And Spector basses aren't exactly a popular choice among bands on my local covers band circuit, so I guess its just nice to be playing something a bit different. 

My only criticism of this bass is the 17mm string spacing at the bridge.  I think I'd get on better with the standard 19mm spacing.  Problem is I haven't found another 5-string bass with 19mm spacing that also ticks enough other boxes for what I like or must have on a bass - so the Rebop is staying.

Edited by Krysbass

• 3 weeks later...

Rebops are great, but they are not a Euro. They are a very different beast. 

They are significantly lighter, have a much thinner (front to back) neck, and can be a little unbalanced, but I don’t find it an issue. 

Due to having passive HZ’s along with being bolt on, they are much tamer than a Euro, and I have TI flats on mine which gives it an amazingly mellow sound. I have used it to play blues and country and is a much better fit than either of my euro’s are. 

My only gripe is that they don’t put genuine Schaller tuners on the rebop, and it also has a plastic nut in lieu of brass which can make them a feel a little bit cheap. I fixed this by putting a set of USA hipshot ultralites. 

If you aren’t a Spector junky like me, I’m sure you could argue your way out of a rebop, they may look like a Euro, but they are quite different. There would be a multitude of other basses out that might be suitable for your needs.

For me though, I love the NS shape, so to have a bass in that shape with a slightly different tonal pallette than a Euro, I’ll never get rid of mine and absolutely love it!

• Like 2