Why become a member? ×

Comments/Discussions on Sales Threads

Mykesbass

4 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Fair point. Perhaps helpful and constructive. But "a good guy to do business with" (to quote chris_b's example) is not something I would call constructive. Too easy for someone's mates to post that sort of stuff. The one other thing I really object to is "bargain". Some on here are not that experienced/new to the game and could be influenced by that. I've seen used stuff advertised on here at almost new price and not everyone will necessarily be aware of that. If "bargain" or "good price"  is acceptable, so should "too pricey" be.

Difficult isn't it. I disagree with your first point but agree with the second. Glad I don't make the rules 😎

This is why I suggested for classifieds, no comments. Other forums do it like this. Its difficult to tell if a post is genuine/positive, or just a bit of a bump, or negative and possibly likely to damage a sale. So, why should the mods be put into that position?

A serious buyer will PM rather than conduct their business in public anyway....so there really is no value in letting everyone post into the for sale thread.

• Like 2

Comments are fine, even just a ‘nice bass’ doesn’t cause any harm, it just bumps the thread. Don’t know why anyone would want to ban comments like that, nobody is making you read them and often some really interesting discussions can evolve. 

Comments on price are of course best kept private, the general rule being people can sell for whatever they like as its theirs - obviously any fraudulent or proper piss taking can and should be reported but I don’t know that I’ve ever seen that happen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

If "bargain" or "good price"  is acceptable, so should "too pricey" be.

No. The price is none of your/my/anyone's business. The seller should not have to face trolling over his price.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

No. The price is none of your/my/anyone's business. The seller should not have to face trolling over his price.

One man's "trolling" is another's fair comment. If you put something up for public sale, it is everyone's business. If it was advertised privately, you might have a point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

One man's "trolling" is another's fair comment. If you put something up for public sale, it is everyone's business. If it was advertised privately, you might have a point. 

I’m not sure about your distinction between a public and private advert? 

And no, negative comments on price are not acceptable. If the seller wants £XYZ for it then that’s up to them. If it’s too high it won’t sell. The market regulates itself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

perhaps if an item is bumped by the OP then instead of the poster of the last post being shown in the right hand column it changes to 'bumped'  so you don't go and look at it thinking that someone whose opinion you maybe trust/like/value has added to the thread and so it's clear that it's just the vendor pushing it to front of the shop window (again)

Ped once advised me that one shouldn't bump until your post gets beyond page 5 because buyers generally look that far back, browsing rather than using search, for something they really want but at the moment with people bumping every 48 hours and so many unsold items that can easily happen in a couple of days and so many sales seems to be driven by shiny object GAS rather than need/want or informed desire

Re the OPs item for sale I don't think I have even looked at it so it's either something I don't need or want or more likely I couldn't afford even if I did, but GLWTS

I like comments on threads.

One experience I had recently was in respect of an item I had listed.  I got a PM from one of our 'glass half empty' members saying it was over-priced and could be bought new for virtually what I was asking.

I thought, OK fair point let me do more research.  So I did, decided this person was wrong, listed it elsewhere and ended up selling the item for more that I was asking originally.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, ped said:

obviously any fraudulent or proper fosters taking can and should be reported but I don’t know that I’ve ever seen that happen. 

Only one time I ever saw some seriously dubious stuff:

There was a guy here who was pretty active in the marketplace. One time he put something up for sale which I'd very recently seen on eBay. Checked it out, same item, sold to this guy 24 hrs or so before he put it up for sale here. Problem was, the item was in the USA and no way it would have been over the pond and in his hands by the time he advertised it here as 'the pride of his collection'.

Anyway, he's gone now. 

Edited by skankdelvar
edited for profanity filter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Its that old warehouse of Skank's again.  Comes in useful.

It pains me to inform my Honourable Friend that I had no direct involvement in the malefactor's disappearance. There is more than one deserted warehouse within driving distance of the forum and I am not the only dispenser of hard justice to be found among our number. 

If it were anyone, it might have been a chap here who styles himself The Crimson Wasp. He's got a warehouse similar to my own but uses a meat tenderiser rather than a sawn-off Rizzini .410

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Its that old warehouse of Skank's again.  Comes in useful.

'It's that old warehouse of Skank's again' is now in my head, sung to this tune...

Edited by Cato
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2019 at 21:28, ped said:

Comments are fine, even just a ‘nice bass’ doesn’t cause any harm, it just bumps the thread. Don’t know why anyone would want to ban comments like that, nobody is making you read them and often some really interesting discussions can evolve. 

+1 ^^

Edited by Al Krow

my 2 cents.

It's OK to ask questions about weight, hardware etc, but if you think it's way over or under priced, I feel a PM is best here.

saying "Gorgeous bass, GLWTS" is fine too.

No pointing out that your Jazz is better than the P for sale, it's not on.

Coming in just to say you hate that bass or amp is not on either

Nor is it OK to comment on an effects for sale ad "I don't use effects" lol, yet people do

• Like 2

On 30/03/2019 at 21:28, ped said:

Comments on price are of course best kept private, the general rule being people can sell for whatever they like as its theirs - obviously any fraudulent or proper fosters taking can and should be reported but I don’t know that I’ve ever seen that happen. 

Hmm. This 'Ped' makes a lot of sense. Maybe humans aren't that stupid after all. 

4 hours ago, bazzbass said:

my 2 cents.

It's OK to ask questions about weight, hardware etc, but if you think it's way over or under priced, I feel a PM is best here.

saying "Gorgeous bass, GLWTS" is fine too.

No pointing out that your Jazz is better than the P for sale, it's not on.

Coming in just to say you hate that bass or amp is not on either

Nor is it OK to comment on an effects for sale ad "I don't use effects" lol, yet people do

True. Weight is an often asked but not always given.

5 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

True. Weight is an often asked but not always given.

I think it's often the way it's asked, if someone asks "any idea of the weight as I hear some of these are quite heavy?" or "could you possibly provide the weight?" Is much more likely to get a response than "weight?"!

I often see the latter & think it's a tad rude, that said a comprehensive for sale ad would probably include the weight from the get go! Nice pictures & complete info really improve the sellers chances I think.

9 minutes ago, bassace said:

If I see an ad for a piece of gear that I own, or have owned, I see no harm in putting up a favourable comment if it deserves one. If I’ve had a contrary experience I keep quiet. I see no problem with that.

No problem with that approach at all. I believe that is within the spirit and letter of the rules. The "issue" is others putting negative, irreverent or  unhelpful comments in sale threads.

• Like 1

• ped locked this topic