Why become a member? ×

2 amps 2 headphones all sounds 🤷‍♂️

Swaffle88

Can anyone advise me how to get 2 amps hooked up to 2 sets of headphones?

I stay in a flat and want to be able to have a mate round for a jam without disturbing the neighbours.. would it be possible to play 2 amps and hear both amps in both earphones?

Do I need a small mixer for this? If so does anyone know a cheap mixer that I could get

I take it both amps have line outputs? If one is for guitar, hopefully the line out includes some form of  speaker modelling to remove the harsh treble.

My old band used to rehearse all plugged into a mixer, me using a VT Bass pedal or similar, the guitarist using a Roland practice combo with amp models built in, plus an electronic drum kit and vocal mic. We then ran a 4-way headphone splitter cable straight out of the mixer, surely not the ‘proper’ way, but it sounded great and we all had decent volume!

Something like a Behringer Xenyx 502 would probably do the job.

Most mixers are not designed to accept plugging guitar or bass straight in however. The impedance is not high enough, which results in a really dull sound. Although you could still get by, it just wouldn’t sound great. If you have any pedals you can go through, that would improve matters. Also, bass usually sounds pretty decent direct, but guitars sound very bland direct without some kind of amp sim, so see what your guitarist has available, like a multi-fx unit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Most mixers are not designed to accept plugging guitar or bass straight in however. The impedance is not high enough, which results in a really dull sound. Although you could still get by, it just wouldn’t sound great. If you have any pedals you can go through, that would improve matters. Also, bass usually sounds pretty decent direct, but guitars sound very bland direct without some kind of amp sim, so see what your guitarist has available, like a multi-fx unit.

So guitar - Fx pedal then mixer should sound better? 

23 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I found better audio quality from a headphone amp like Behringer HA400 (about £20) versus the very cheap passive double adapter type.  Another advantage is independent volume controls.

I had a look at this and there’s only headphone inputs, how do you mean I should set it up? Sorry if it’s obvious 😂 I need it simplified a bit more 🤤

Yes, pretty much any pedal will convert the signal to the kind of impedance that will make the mixer happy. If the pedal has a buffered bypass (e.g. anything by Boss) you won't even need to turn the pedal on, just power it up.

The HA400 is for splitting a headphone out to 4 people with individual volume controls, it can be used as part of the solution, but not by itself.

Running the line output (or FX send) of one amp into the aux input of the other amp is a good shout if your amps can do that, all you'd need is the correct cable plus a headphone splitter.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1