Why become a member? ×

Showing my ignorance here.....

Baxlin

I went to see the BBC Concert Orchestra last night, and noticed that all the Double Basses had an extra 'appendage' alongside the head.  Although I was in the second row, I wasn’t close enough to count the strings, but is this for a 5th string?

Good explanation. As a jazzer I’d certainly like to get down to Eb, not too bothered about the lower notes. I wonder whether those extensions are more prone to damage with regular gigs.

One further thought: my perception is that extensions are favoured in UK orchestras while in Europe (whoops) five stringers are the norm. I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, bassace said:

Good explanation. As a jazzer I’d certainly like to get down to Eb, not too bothered about the lower notes. I wonder whether those extensions are more prone to damage with regular gigs.

One further thought: my perception is that extensions are favoured in UK orchestras while in Europe (whoops) five stringers are the norm. I could be wrong.

Hipshot makes a drop D thingy for double bass @bassace. Looks cool.

I have a C extension on my new double bass. Since I am a C extension virgin I got some advice on fitting a new string. Extended strings are more expensive. This was a £60 string. I took just over 2 days to take up the tension...you have probably guessed by now that it broke on the last turn......grr

• 2 weeks later...

Some people love those extensions.  Better than a 5 string as you keep the string spacing and the neck width of a  4 string plus can still really DIG IN to a fat bottom E ( most often the lowest note you need).   Drop tuners are an option but when you deploy them, all the other strings go out of tune.  There is a lot of classical music that needs bottom D or C so mostly we retune to D A D G or C G D G between pieces.  It's a pain and smaller basses suffer string flap when tuned down so low.  an extension is probs the cure ... But UGLY, can't bring myself to adulterate my bass with one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1