Why become a member? ×

I bought a new bass for £3,000 but got it wrong...

Al Krow

Just now, therealting said:

I miss my Bravewood 56. Lost all hope of the thieving bastards getting caught now 😔

Awful people.

looking through my Instagram, apparently I sold this to get a custom shop jazz which I swapped for a Sandberg and a stingray...

stupid. See.

35 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Stupidity is my reason for moving gear, seeking the holy (none existent) grail of bass

My job is to accurately define software solutions before resource is devoted to their development or purchase. ( so funds aren't wasted !)

Can I define what I want / need in a bass - not a chance - it changes from minute to minute !

I think I've probably had my holy grail more than a dozen times and then sold it as I've seen something new and shiny.

• Like 1

Not basses, but as somebody with a few hobby rooms / cupboards full of "stuff", I'll say this:

1) If it gives you pleasure - you're winning. (if it gives you more grief / stress / worry than pleasure - you're doing something wrong).

2) It's usually easier to acquire stuff than it is to, um, decquire stuff.

3) He who dies with the most toys - wins.

4) See #3

5) See #3

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

3) He who dies with the most toys - wins.

Or in my case my sons and grandchildren win. And a couple of friends who also have specific guitars / basses named to them in my will. They'll never forgive me if I sell anything they're looking forward to inheriting (not that I would, as it's all gear that I use and love). 

That's one of my excuses and I'm sticking to it 🙂 

21 minutes ago, josie said:

Or in my case my sons and grandchildren win. And a couple of friends who also have specific guitars / basses named to them in my will. They'll never forgive me if I sell anything they're looking forward to inheriting (not that I would, as it's all gear that I use and love). 

That's one of my excuses and I'm sticking to it 🙂 

I need some better family / friends. 👍

• Like 1

On 26/03/2019 at 22:33, LukeFRC said:

And of course there's often a bit of crazy thinking in people's sale prices, or they got it cheap and are flipping it or something. I was offered a bass for £1700 recently that the buyer had bought the year before for £650 on Basschat. They obviously think I can't use google to search the site! 

Are you saying that, because someone got a bass for a silly low price in the past, they have to pass it on for a silly low price?

If you wanted it for £650 you should have bought it when he did. The selling price of anything can be based upon many factors,  including dropping the price out of desperation to get money.

As an example: selling a pink Ferrari. It would have cost more than a red one when new. When selling it on it might take a while to find a buyer, or you could drop the price silly-low to make it acceptable to more folk. Dropping the price doesn't mean if it worth less. The alternative is to wait for longer until the right person comes along. Some folk don't mind waiting; others can't wait.

Edited by Grangur

1 hour ago, Grangur said:

Are you saying that, because someone got a bass for a silly low price in the past, they have to pass it on for a silly low price?

If you wanted it for £650 you should have bought it when he did. The selling price of anything can be based upon many factors,  including dropping the price out of desperation to get money.

As an example: selling a pink Ferrari. It would have cost more than a red one when new. When selling it on it might take a while to find a buyer, or you could drop the price silly-low to make it acceptable to more folk. Dropping the price doesn't mean if it worth less. The alternative is to wait for longer until the right person comes along. Some folk don't mind waiting; others can't wait.

No - I'm saying that the intention matters. There's a difference between folk who buy and sell to try things and will tend to buy cheap and try and get the most when they sell... and folk who just buy to flip for a profit. 

Selling and buying online are visual acts, which is odd given that a bass is there to make a nice sound and audios/videos are just as easy to create, but high end basses seduce with their gorgeous finishes. It’s just paint or veneer but a stunner sells quickly.

• Like 1

I think many of us are just swayed by wanton lust for basses, I know I certainly am. 🙄

Sometimes your tastes change, sometimes your body changes and what you hope will be the last bass you'll ever buy turns out to be just another bass.

As other members have commented it's all good clean fun and if a buyer (of a new bass) goes into the purchase with their eyes wide open knowing that they're going to take a hit if it doesn't work out, fair play to them. If buying used, you can just move it on for the same price you paid for it. Happy days!

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:19, ead said:

Just to note that all of my custom ACGs (and I'm a frequent flyer) have cost less than a Fender Custom Shop bass.  In fact a number have cost less than a US Professional series.

Likewise, my Shuker custom 5 cost me less than a bog-ordinaire Stingray 5 would have done.

• Like 1

My philosophy is not to buy something that I wouldn’t complain if I got stuck with. 

Even if it’s just to try I work out the value to me on that basis, and factor in if I would be able to move it on into how much I spend.

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

OK.. so you only buy things you would complain about if you got stuck with?

Seems an odd way of doing things, but your choice!

I reserve the right to put so many double negatives in sentences that they make no sense to anyone! :) 

• Haha 3