Why become a member? ×

Has Scott Devine become insane ?

Hellzero

Nice response from Scott, you could see he was narked by some of the personal criticism ( and why not ) but you also could feel his enthusiasm for what he has created and what he is trying to share with the bass playing community.

Him and Geoff came to the first Yorkshire Bass Bash I  ran in the Ian Clough Hall in Baildon many years ago: he offered to run a seminar on his journey up to then, it was fascinating and probably just prior to setting up SBL? 

I'm glad he took the opportunity to respond to the OP's points in the way he did: it's very easy to get misinterpreted by the written word.

• Like 2

@yorks5stringer : clearly as he didn't understood what I was claiming for which is the granted total access to all SBL content that was stated when I subscribed. He just changed the rules without notice. That's my complaint, but it seems nobody can read.

I'm proud of what he did, never begrudged him for earning money with that and certainly NEVER criticised his marriage. Again, it's a question of interpretation and I was only giving facts.

I once started a thread called "Stop posting without reading", all I can see is that nothing has changed.

In fact, my complaint made him even more publicity and that's a good thing as he's got the balls to do it (his way). So hats off @devinebass as he deserves it for what he's done for the bass community.

These will be my last words here.

12 hours ago, Hellzero said:

@yorks5stringer : clearly as he didn't understood what I was claiming for which is the granted total access to all SBL content that was stated when I subscribed. He just changed the rules without notice. That's my complaint, but it seems nobody can read.

I'm proud of what he did, never begrudged him for earning money with that and certainly NEVER criticised his marriage. Again, it's a question of interpretation and I was only giving facts.

I once started a thread called "Stop posting without reading", all I can see is that nothing has changed.

In fact, my complaint made him even more publicity and that's a good thing as he's got the balls to do it (his way). So hats off @devinebass as he deserves it for what he's done for the bass community.

These will be my last words here.

I was not criticising your original point but he seemed ( to me) to explain why he was charging  for the GW seminar outside of the SBL Academy. It was the section where he told of the costs around $40,000 just to do the GW piece? I appreciate above is your last words but happy to hear them elsewhere...!

• Like 3

@devinebass Thanks for taking the time to do that video, Scott, I even watched it right up to the end. Good work: with explanation of the whys and wherefores of charges and YT generally; keeping it together and not going on a rant; keeping it friendly and often amusing (for me anyway).

Pino would be a massive score for SBL, but if you look at his low interview count and how diffident he is when rarely on camera, I think you’ve got your work cut out, but I remain hopeful. 

• Like 3

I'm a SBL member, I really need to use it more though. I should spend more time with it, particularly when I'm traveling for work. This thread has really left a sour taste in my mouth, this is an embarrassment to Basschat.

Is his YouTube stuff clickbaity? Undoubtedly, yes. However, I consume most of my video content via YouTube and have seen this happen to a lot of the channels I watch over the past few years - the algorithms and culture of YouTube means a lot of channels have to do this stuff, it's all driven by the way data is interpreted and used to boost or hide channels depending on how users interact with it. I do think that Scott's free stuff on YouTube is great though, once you get past the "6 reasons six string basses suck" title and thumbnail and you realise that actually the video is 6 ways to better utilise a 6 string and avoid some common pitfalls, as one example. It's good and useful info packaged in a way that helps generate interest on an extremely crowded platform. He is a great player and a great teacher, but if you don't like his content on Youtube, then don't watch it - it's free and didn't cost you anything.

I think the stuff on SBL is great for the price and I don't begrudge him the opportunity to charge extra for certain courses - he is running a business and if he thinks some elements should be monetised outside of the normal academy stuff, then I suppose he is better positioned than any of us to weigh up the cost and risk to his business.If I had guessed the production costs, I'd have guessed low and that doesn't even factor in editing.

I do think though, love him or hate him, that going through companies house to see how much the business earns is a touch crass, even if it is info available to the public. However, bringing his wife, the state of his marriage and the division of shares between himself and his wife really is appallingly crass. Pretending it's not a veiled criticism or jibe doesn't cut it, there is no reason to bring that into the discussion except for making backhanded remarks and insinuations. Really, really poor form and I don't blame Scott for making a video in response. It's embarrassing to read. Personally I think he is owed an apology.

Edited by Mastodon2
  • Like 25

Can only agree with the comments from Mastodon.

I have watched the video reply from Scott and from using both his YouTube and SBL content (I'm a member) I can believe he is more than a nice guy in real life.

Like the hat (me being follically challenged as well) and the wrist watch by the way Scott.

• Like 1

Wow, this makes me cringe.

The guy has a product that, clearly, plenty of people like and pay for.

He's built it up from nothing and clearly put in vastly more work than people who make bigger fortunes from streaming crappy videos of their children or pets misbehaving.

It's clearly absurd to assume that buy buying a specific product you should assume the right to a slice of everything he produces.

I enjoy the videos I've seen, but buying into something like this is probably not for me, just because of the way I learn and where my interests lie, but the pricing and product seem fair from where I'm sitting.

Must say I am impressed by his response; most people would have just walked away and waited for the fuss to die down.

P.S. Scott you are bit of a waffler but so am I.... 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

I do think though, love him or hate him, that going through companies house to see how much the business earns is a touch crass, even if it is info available to the public. However, bringing his wife, the state of his marriage and the division of shares between himself and his wife really is appallingly crass.  Personally I think he is owed an apology.

Agree - as someone who has been on the receiving end of such criticism and stalker like detective work I also feel that this is a bit next level and quite unseemly. 

• Like 4

• ped locked this topic