Why become a member? ×

Has Scott Devine become insane ?

Hellzero

He seems to be doing okay, however I am not a subscriber and also I no longer watch his Youtube videos. For that reason, I can't really comment further on his style. The reason I stopped watching them was that the title/headline would seem interesting/topical, but the content didn't really deliver the same punch. I hesitate to use the word "clickbait" because its a bit mean to do so. Regarding not posting on here any more, I suspect he decided that it was a no-win situation - he could get embroiled in a discussion and it consume a lot of time, with no real positive outcome. Also I imagine, unlike many on here where we have a regular job and bass playing is a hobby, his "job" is bass playing (/making videos, teaching, marketing, etc etc) and his free time is taken up by unrelated hobbies or family/etc matters.

I personally don't get involved in forums related to my profession!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Machines said:

Thanks a lot for this @Machines. Scott is making a lot of money and a huge mistake : he is only owning 50 % of the shares, so can be discarded and loose everything quite easily. Hope everyting is well with Lisa.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Thanks a lot for this @Machines. Scott is making a lot of money and a huge mistake : he is only owning 50 % of the shares, so can be discarded and loose everything quite easily. Hope everyting is well with Lisa.

This is getting weird, he owns the company with his wife only and now you are casting doubt on his marriage?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

There's a lot more than just fact in there, and it's distinctly unfriendly. It doesn't bother me, but seems at odds with your liking of basschat because it is open and friendly.

I do not think we need to get into discussion on this as it is derailing the thread, but at most you could state that to you - in your opinion - it comes across as distinctly unfriendly.

My attitude towards SBL is actually not overly negative (more ambivalent, some good content but too loud, too much form over function for me to want to spend time on there); clearly you have already reached a definitive conclusion on my intent unilaterally rather than asking what the intent behind the comment was. Fine with me, but lets take this up over PM if you want instead of derailing the thread further. 

Just now, HazBeen said:

I do not think we need to get into discussion on this as it is derailing the thread, but at most you could state that to you - in your opinion - it comes across as distinctly unfriendly.

My attitude towards SBL is actually not overly negative (more ambivalent, some good content but too loud, too much form over function for me to want to spend time on there); clearly you have already reached a definitive conclusion on my intent unilaterally rather than asking what the intent behind the comment was. Fine with me, but lets take this up over PM if you want instead of derailing the thread further. 

I'm only judging on what you have actually said in this thread, what else can be done?  I'll leave it there though, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

3 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

Scott hasn't been on here since June 6th last year when he posted or reacted to the thread about SBL, and he didn't come back to tell the story of the stolen bass recovery either - I guess he decided not to waste any time or emotional energy on here getting/dealing with negative reactions and concentrate on doing what he needed to in the 5 days a week he spends on SBL whilst also spending time with his family and moving home etc...

Talking with Mark at Bass Direct recently he said he doesn't come on here or other bass forums - I guess he meant TB, either, probably for the same reasons

given the vitriol that sometimes seems to pour forth on here I can understand why; it's partly why I don't do facebook instagram, twatter or other types of social media they are home to too many toxic people.  When I first came on here (from Google search looking for information) it seemed pretty chilled and friendly but I'm not so sure now and it seems a lot of good and interesting people no longer post here

Personally I think Basschat is the best Forum going obviously I play Bass but also Guitar and I have joined a couple of Acoustic Guitar Forums and to be quite frank they are as dull as ditch water....everyone has an opinion just like yours above but believe me this is a friendly informative forum and I would doubt you'd find better.

Edited by thebigyin
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

This is getting weird, he owns the company with his wife only and now you are casting doubt on his marriage?

I'm not casting doubt on his marriage at all, it's a simple fact : if it goes wrong with his wife (which I'm absolutely not wanting), he could loose more than his spouse. Simple fact, nothing else.

That also means that he really loves his wife and is totally trusting her, which is very rare by people loving money so much. A true financier would have taken 51% of the shares. 

And if you want to know, I know my wife for more than 30 years and we are living together for 15 years with love getting stronger every day : a rare total fusion, as she is the one for me and I'm the one for her. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, No. 8 Wire said:

I was merely sharing public info regarding his company filing to clarify the speculation on the finances involved. I didn't expect the DailyMail style critique of it all.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

And if you want to know, I know my wife for more than 30 years and we are living together for 15 years with love getting stronger every day : a rare total fusion, as she is the one for me and I'm the one for her. 

I hope that you've taken appropriate steps to prevent yourself financially when things go wrong with your wife. If. If things go wrong. And I definitely wouldn't want that to happen. But, you know, that's what women are like.

S.P.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

I hope that you've taken appropriate steps to prevent yourself financially when things go wrong with your wife. If. If things go wrong. And I definitely wouldn't want that to happen. But, you know, that's what women are like.

S.P.

Well, I doubt anyone thought this thread could turn in such an bizarre direction within a couple of posts...!

• Like 1

Has Scott Devine become insane?

No, just financially secure would be my guess.

There are far worst crimes than charging $147 for an online course that some people might consider as being quite reasonable, especially if they're fans of Gary Willis (bearing mind that Gary will be feathering his nest with a cut of that too, no doubt).

Personally, I think Scott deserves credit for developing what seems to be a very successful business around bass playing; which let's face it is rarely the most lucrative career path. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't spend the money. Plenty else that it can be spent on 🍺

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

S.P.

Yes, marriage contract with separation of property to protect her as she owns everything. I don't give a sh*t about money and hate it. Call it love or stupidity, it's up to you. ;)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Yes, marriage contract with separation of property to protect her as she owns everything. I don't give a sh*t about money and hate it. Call it love or stupidity, it's up to you. ;)

Tony, you are forgetting she also feeds you well :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skol303 said:

Personally, I think Scott deserves credit for developing what seems to be a very successful business around bass playing; which let's face it is rarely the most lucrative career path. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't spend the money. Plenty else that it can be spent on 

Here here...

• Like 3

I don't subscribe to Scott's bass lessons or any other on line lessons, because I prefer one to one lessons with a real tutor. That's just my learning style.

But I'm a bit uncomfortable with this thread. We're talking about another BC member and calling into doubt his sanity and the state of his marriage??? I thought bass players were supposed to be the nice guys? 

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, seashell said:

But I'm a bit uncomfortable with this thread. We're talking about another BC member and calling into doubt his sanity and the state of his marriage??? I thought bass players were supposed to be the nice guys? 

Quite agree. Mind you, I do have doubts about some of you lot. 🙂 (as does my friend, the invisible 6 foot 3 1/4  inch white rabbit)

Edited by MrCrane
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Teebs said:

Soooooo... Are SBL any good then?

Never looked into it, but it could be useful.

I've never looked into lessons before as I've always considered myself unteachable (not in a good way :( )

He is hugely talented and has a successful business, but he's not my cup of tea? And in fairness I probably wouldn't be his cup of tea either! Now if Pino did an online bass course.....?

Edited by mentalextra

• ped locked this topic