Why become a member? ×

G&L hidden gems!

la bam

I've heard of G&L in the past. I knew of the fender association etc.

However, i like many never took much notice. If I was going to spend that amount of money, it would probably be on a fender.

As luck has a way of doing things, I managed to pick up a g&l m2000 tribute for a great price. So good that if I didn't like it I could easily sell without much loss.

Having had it a week, all I can say is wow! What a bass. The craftsmanship, build quality and design include balance etc is absolutely superb. It just feels lovely to hold and play.

The active eq is brilliant. Go from a p bass to jazz to stingray in a second.

The sound is true from growly low end to super smooth high end. Everything just fits lovely.

Having done a bit of reading too, the bridge us an interesting unit. It also has an Allen screw that if you tighten it it makes it a mass bridge which really improves sustain and tightness of the bass. Ed friedlander has a great video on YouTube about it. 

In all honesty I'd love it to have an active and passive option (just as emergency back up) but hopefully it'll be possible for some tech to sort that with a push pull switch.

I'd also like to design a p bass scratchplate for it, which would look wonderful.

In summary though, I honestly don't think I'll ever look at another brand of bass. I've had all sorts over the years including: westones, fender p USA, jazzes, headless, Yamaha bb424s, v4s, and these g&ls are just a big step above them all in design, quality, finish and sound.

I've played over a few backing tracks, from sabbath to u2 and disco to jazz, through headphones and it took seconds to find a sound that sat perfect every time. That really is good design.

I'd love to try a L100, which will go on my list, but maybe a L2000 too!

Great stuff G&L. Much impressed.

Here is a stock photo.

gundl-tribute-m-2000-rw-honeyburst_1_BAS0006399-000.jpg

Edited by la bam
  • Like 2

I’ve had four G&L’s over the years, liked each one but never quite ‘clicked’ with any of them - or, at least, enough not to sell on when I had to. 

I’ve had an L2000T and L2500T, an L2500US and most recently a M2000T. The first two I moved on because I didn’t like the necks, but I loved the sound; the US went when I needed cash more than a bass (still regret that, but it had its issues - a flat top with no forearm carve meant it got a bit painful after a while!).

The M2000 I felt never quite hit the heights of the L’s - too polite, not aggro enough. Liked the pup blend pot through - I was going to do that to the L’s had I kept them. 

I do still have a hankering for an L2000 again though...

Some might say that George & Leo is the peak of what Leo developed during his years. Idea of an active preamp from StingRay, shapes and basic construction from Jazz and P... would like to say that because G&L is not so known or popular compared to its earlier siblings, it is really good bang for the buck.

I've always liked them from the first time I heard one - the pickups are incredibly clear and dynamic - very easy to get a bewileringly wide array of sounds from.

I feel like it can be pretty unforgiving as the dynamic range is so great!

I have an year 2000 US L2000 and I've struggled with aspects of the tone in a band situation - I think because it kicks out so much top end it doesn't sound like 'a bass should'.  I found starting at zero on the tone controls and turning up to taste best.

Rarely use the active mode - the thing is so loud! Magnetic Field Design pickups are a pinnacle of pickup design for me.

I've also learned quickly to roll the bass back a tad to get the sound tight, then have the mids at the middle, then increase to cut through.

What I really have appreciation for though is, you can play any note and it's super responsive. From staccato type runs to full on resonance, it does what you want. It's also the first bass ever that I can tickle the strings and still get a thick loud sound. All my previous basses I've had to dig in just to get a normal sound. I can now see how all these jazz funk players manage to hit so many notes and still sound great!

5 hours ago, gary mac said:

Fellow G&L fan here. I'll be gigging my eighties SB1 at the weekend. 

About to do the deal on an Asat ClassicTribute, as a birthday pressie to myself:)

My early SB1 is in the post still... might be here by the weekend, probably not!!

I always fancied an M2500, as the pickups aren't quite as hot as the L2500, so a bit easier to blend things in. Having said that, I had been looking at jazz basses and the G&L new ones look good.

Actually I would love to try an SB-2 to see what the neck is like, noone seems to have any though

Edited by Woodinblack

6 hours ago, la bam said:

I managed to pick up a g&l m2000 tribute for a great price

wouldn't happen to be honey burst would it, rosewood neck, hailing from somewhere around Preston... :) :)

I'd really like to get my hands on one, saw a review on YT and was impressed. Just hear good words about the Tribute 2000.
Another accident waiting to happen I suppose !!

p.s. agree a passive pull would be nice, but I do like the logical EQ, unlike all the switches on the M2000. 

Edited by Soledad

I bought my main bass 3 years ago this month off Basschat from Graham1945, it's a G&l5500 from '96. At the price it was more of a gift than a purchase! The switch to 5 string was something I did under duress due to the bands I played in ( the dreaded Uptown Funk was ubiquitous then) but the G&L completely rekindled my interest in bass playing and lead to me selling my beloved Stingray 4.

The G&L5500 is a real sleeper bass and often turns up for sale cheap, there's often a complaint of them having a slight pipe organ quality to the sound due to the dual EMG 40DCs, I cured it of this by swapping the bridge 40DC to a 40J, another serendipitous purchase off ebay and a happy accident really. It now sounds like a souped up Jazz bass, I have a bass that far exceeds my playing ability IMO, I still love it and it often draws compliments on it's sound.

Many thanks to Graham if you are reading mate!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Hope it gets to you, safe and sound. What year is it Ped? 

1991, black and maple. Quite worn in places but it was a bargain and the neck sounds fine - think it's in customs now so will sit tight for the tax ransom letter

1 minute ago, ped said:

Here she is

:friends:Looks like it's seen some action. That will clean up nice though. The pickups on these are just so powerful. Volume on full they are aggressive and snarly as hell, wind back slightly and it gets into vintage P bass territory. 

• Like 1

Owned many G&L instruments over the years, from guitars and basses. 

Would have always preferred a G&L over a Fender but that's because I think you get more bang for your buck and quality is such a difference between them both. 

Electronics bothered me, not an active bass player and the newer basses support the 18v EQs, so double the trouble for me. 

If they made passive basses on the tribute series and without breaking the bank or being a Fender J/P imitation, I'd definitely come back to give them a go

38 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Owned many G&L instruments over the years, from guitars and basses. 

Would have always preferred a G&L over a Fender but that's because I think you get more bang for your buck and quality is such a difference between them both. 

Electronics bothered me, not an active bass player and the newer basses support the 18v EQs, so double the trouble for me. 

If they made passive basses on the tribute series and without breaking the bank or being a Fender J/P imitation, I'd definitely come back to give them a go

The Tribute LB100 is passive :)

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/g-amp-l-tribute-lb-100-bass-3-tone-sunburst-brazilian-cherry-fingerboard?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4fHkBRDcARIsACV58_HBkkUB4CcwV3QDgUdXwu6wvL4rh-6gbrV98Bqb_FJDOrftWVHhKA0aAqjBEALw_wcB#product-details

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

f they made passive basses on the tribute series and without breaking the bank or being a Fender J/P imitation

Totally agree, if the Tribute 2000 could just have a passive pull on the vol that would be great - not one of those fiddly little switches. I think Warwicks have the passive pull, and my Mayones does, really tidy and quick. One reason I'm less keen on the US 2000s is the row of switches.
I really like the M2000 all over but in particular the EQ looks very tidy / logical.
There's one on the Bay at the moment - £113 but destined to rise a good bit I reckon. Wonder how many of us have snipes on that one :)