Why become a member? ×

Any experience with "Hard foam" bass cases.

Lexii

As the title really, not looking for super expensive , super heavy duty flight cases as my bass leaves the house for my car then into the pub/club.

I've currently got a cheap fits all stagg hard bass case but it's fairly flimsy and unless I pad it out with t shirts the neck falls out its slot and sits funny.

Been looking at the hard foam cases like gator etc as a happy medium between hardcase and softcase but I don't know anyone that's used them to discuss pros and cons.

Any recommendations 

Thanks

Edited by Lexii

Soft bag (Rockbag etc.):

+ light weight, cheap, works well at home to protect against dust

- cheapo & short lived, faint protection

Semi-soft/hard carrying case (like mono):

+ decent weight, good to carry around, may not withstand airport crew, weather resistant (especially against temperature changes), two bass models available

- zippers have lifetime, not so cheap

Hard case (like Hiscox or similar):

+ hard, good protection, repairable, long lifetime, airplane ready (if has the shape of the instrument inside)

- heavy, somewhat hard to carry, prices and quality vary

Transport case (like Thon or Peli, made of wood and aluminum or polymer):

+ nearly indestructible, shape keeps the instrument in its place, airport crew compatible, custom made (also for two basses etc.)

- heavy and big, may be cumbersome to carry around, on a pricey side

• Thanks 1

I use one of these to carry two basses around. I love it and use it exclusively over my other had cases or gig bags. 

The basses are snug and well protected, it fits in my car nicely and has lots of pockets, It also has shoulder straps and a rain cover. 

https://gatorcases.com/products/guitar/instrument-bassguitar/pro-go-ultimate-guitar-gig-bags/pro-go-guitar/dual-bass-guitar-gig-bag-g-pg-bass-2x/

• Thanks 1