Why become a member? ×

Trouser flapping cab /s required

Stealth

I have aquired a nice aguilar 2x10 which i run a Darkglass 500 into. I need  cheap ish  bottom end cab to run it with to move some air any ideas?

STOP PRESS sild the Aggie so the slate is blank

Edited by Stealth

Looks like you are out of luck, the cab is 4 ohms I think and the amp is 4 ohms minimum so won't run a second cab. If you really like the Aguilar then running a second cheap cab would change the sound and you might not find that as nice. I was going to suggest a second matching cab but unless yours is 8ohms your amp won't cope. Sorry

If you want to move more air, another similar cab would be the best match for you. Just like Mr. Starr pointed out.

+ similar sound (you know what you will get)

+ power is distributed evenly to both cabs (this is an issue, also soundwise)

+ you can choose between one or two when going to a gig

• Like 2

itu is right. Doubling the amount of air moved should flap the old bell bottoms nicely and will give you options. However, if you don't want to spend too much (another Aggie won't be cheap), a used 8 ohm 15" cab should do it. I ran 2x10 plus 1x15 for several years and it worked well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Looks like you are out of luck, the cab is 4 ohms I think and the amp is 4 ohms minimum so won't run a second cab. If you really like the Aguilar then running a second cheap cab would change the sound and you might not find that as nice. I was going to suggest a second matching cab but unless yours is 8ohms your amp won't cope. Sorry

Although it's not an issue for the OP as he can get a second 8 ohm cab, I hadn't previously spotted that the DG M500 doesn't have a 2 Ohm mode unlike its big brother the DG M900. That's almost the wrong way around! 

2 hours ago, itu said:

If you want to move more air, another similar cab would be the best match for you. Just like Mr. Starr pointed out.

+ similar sound (you know what you will get)

+ power is distributed evenly to both cabs (this is an issue, also soundwise)

+ you can choose between one or two when going to a gig

Agree, and adding a second identical cab is also a very grin-inducing move.

6 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Get an identical 2x10. Anything else is unpredictable. If you get something that has less displacement limited output than the 2x10 it will be a weak link, if you get something that has higher displacement limited output the 2x10 will hold it back.

What BFM says.

Cabs (like people some might say) are not created equally, so best to use the same cabs where possible to limit the chance of any issues.

Right the Aguilar has gone back so im back to sqjare one. Darkglass 500 / Rick 4003/ Aerodyne Jazz. Playing classic rock Sabbath Lizzy AC/DC etc and some blues in band 2 plus a 77 punk thing.. Need to cut through but have a big solid bottom oohh err.

Do i go for one cab does all with casters or a pair of something lightish.

have a back issue worn out disk but that what trolleys are for lol

Budget £700-900 less is even better.

anyone tried the RM 410 ?

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just get a VK210 MNT (or possibly an LNT, although your DG won't need that much power handling) and you won't need a second cab. Your ears will totally love you. Job done. 

+1 for this. I bought two for a discount and am in dire need to give them both a run, but the single 210 MNT I used at a pub gig was clear as a bell (with 500W SS amp).

2 hours ago, Stealth said:

anyone tried the RM 410 ?

If you mean the Ashdown RM 410, yes I had one. It’s a great sounding cab, lightweight, stick some go faster castors on and it’s a real easy cab to move about.

Thanks all the bergs are interesting but i think im.in need of hornage. Good 2x12 maybe just sold my super twin why did they take tbe horn out..

Would a single VK 210 real ly cut it with a loud drummer and no.PA support 

1 minute ago, Stealth said:

Would a single VK 210 real ly cut it with a loud drummer and no.PA support 

There are others on here with more gigging experience using a VK cab, but from my one evening with a 210 and amp not even halfway up, I'd say 'yes'. 

19 minutes ago, Stealth said:

Would a single VK 210 really cut it with a loud drummer and no PA support?

The issue you currently have is that you are using an 8 ohm cab and your amp is only putting out 250W.

Get the 4 ohm version of the VK 210 MNT. The cab will be able to handle and deliver the full 500W from your DG 500.

You should then have zero problems keeping up with your drummer. 

If for some reason your full 500W is not enough (and I can't imagine why that would be!) you would need to have a look at the whole rig, including your amp and maybe switch to the DG M900 and VK210 LNT 4 ohms (which can handle 1200W RMS).

Edited by Al Krow

PS doesn't have to be VK (I just happen to know that it's a great cab from having had both the 210MNT and currently LNT versions). 

Substitute whatever quality 4 ohm cab that can handle/deliver the full 500W output from your amp and you should be just fine in terms of headroom. 

59 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The issue you currently have is that you are using an 8 ohm cab and your amp is only putting out 250W.

Get the 4 ohm version of the VK 210 MNT. The cab will be able to handle and deliver the full 500W from your DG 500.

You should then have zero problems keeping up with your drummer. 

If for some reason your full 500W is not enough (and I can't imagine why that would be!) you would need to have a look at the whole rig, including your amp and maybe switch to the DG M900 and VK210 LNT 4 ohms (which can handle 1200W RMS).

Sorry Al, this likely isn't the issue.  Watts work in an "up to" kind of way.  With an 8Ω cab attached to a 500w amp, the amp will send up to 350w, but that's if the amp is being fully pushed.  There'll also the possibility of spikes which exceed this.

Changing the cab for the same one, but a 4Ω version is going to give about a 3db increase in volume, which I doubt is going to result in things going from "no trouser flapping" to "trouser flapping".

I used to have a MarkBass 2x10 8Ω, which was plenty loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer & 2 loud guitars.  It wasn't trouser flapping like a big sub, but it sounded good & had plenty of punch.

The think is that both changing your cab or adding a second might do the job. Yesterday we fine tuned my Basschat 1x12 and compared it to Stevie’s.

Mine is fitted with the Beyma SM212 and Stevie’s has the Fatal Pro PR320. The Beyma goes lower but the Faital Pro is much louder. 

So the right single cab could be OK or you might find  two cabs of the right sort could suit better. The best way to try cabs is at a bass bash.

30 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

Sorry Al, this likely isn't the issue.  Watts work in an "up to" kind of way.  With an 8Ω cab attached to a 500w amp, the amp will send up to 350w, but that's if the amp is being fully pushed.  There'll also the possibility of spikes which exceed this.

Changing the cab for the same one, but a 4Ω version is going to give about a 3db increase in volume, which I doubt is going to result in things going from "no trouser flapping" to "trouser flapping".

I used to have a MarkBass 2x10 8Ω, which was plenty loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer & 2 loud guitars.  It wasn't trouser flapping like a big sub, but it sounded good & had plenty of punch.

+3 dB is a doubling of sound intensity, which I accept isn't the same as a perceived doubling of volume, but still worth having if the choice of 4ohm doesn't cost you a penny extra. 

I've had a number of respected sound engineers say that a single 4ohm cab will let the amp 'breathe' in a way a single 8ohm won't. 

No question that two 1x12s or two 2x10s will be louder than a single 2x10, other things being equal, as you have a greater volume of air being pushed. But if you're looking for a single lightweight cab solution, you'll be hard pressed to beat the VK 210 MNT 4ohm for a 500W amp head. 

Trouser flapping per se is just a load of hot air :)

Edited by Al Krow