Why become a member? ×

Unsung Brit Bass Hero.

alembic1989

Good morning BC'ers.

I am a huge fan , and great admirer of a legendary British bassist, who has been around for years, is unique as a player, really innovative... but never gets mentioned in this forum.

I'm referring to 

Colin Hodgkinson.

Any other Colin & Back Door fans here??

• Like 2

It was seeing 'Bomber' Hodgkinson with Back Door in the seventies that made me decide to try and play the bass guitar (still trying!).

I saw him with Back Door about 5 times but the best gig was when he did a tour with Alexis Korner. Just the two of them, playing blues and jazz and obviously having a great time doing it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alembic1989 said:

Good morning BC'ers.

I am a huge fan , and great admirer of a legendary British bassist, who has been around for years, is unique as a player, really innovative... but never gets mentioned in this forum.

I'm referring to 

Colin Hodgkinson.

Funnily enough, the first I'd heard of him was on this forum:

I have since bought some "Back Door" albums - good stuff.

I saw him with Whitesnake in Leeds on the Saints & Sinners tour, according to setlist FM that was Dec 1982 which fits as i recall it was blowing a blizzard with snow as I left. Micky Moody was still in but Galley had taken over from Marsden. Powell on drums, Lord on keys. Pretty good gig from what I recall. Didn't really appreciate how good a player he was until I saw him do a little solo piece at an Alexis Korner memorial show many years later. I don't think I'd heard any Back Door even by then, slipped under my radar.

Edited by KevB

My first encounter with Back Door was (I think) in the mid-late seventies as a support act for, IIRC, PFM at Newcastle City Hall.  Truly inspirational.  Then saw them a little later playing in a pub in South Shields!

I saw Back Door supporting ELP on the Brain Salad Surgery tour - got talked into the gig by some mates. Probably not a good move, because it was the night before my French A level Aural exam, and by the next morning I could hear diddley squat and as a result struggled badly.  :/

Turned out ELP weren't for me, but I loved Back Door and spent time trying to work out, even from many rows back, what Mr. Hodgkinson was doing. Went out later on next day and bought both their available albums. Which were, and remain, really good listening.

22 hours ago, alembic1989 said:

Good morning BC'ers.

I'm referring to 

Colin Hodgkinson.

As soon as I saw your thread title I though, "Colin Hodgkinson". An absolute master, one of the few bass players (IMHO) to make solo bass sound completely natural and without interfering with the inherent nature of the instrument itself.

14 hours ago, steantval said:

Pretty sure he is now the bassist for Ten Years After.

Yeah, he's with TYA now. I wish they would play some gigs over here, but they seem to concentrate mainly on Europe.

• Like 1

I saw him with Whitesnake at Newcastle City Hall. I remember being very impressed by his bass solo - I seem to recall he sat down for it.

Prior to the gig I was aware of his talents but I was also disappointed that I managed to miss the only Whitesnake tour without Neil Murray (one of my favourite bass players) in about 10 years - he rejoined after this. I still haven't seen him!

I had tickets for their tour in about 1980 but they cancelled on the day.

Edited by el borracho
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, el borracho said:

I saw him with Whitesnake at Newcastle City Hall. I remember being very impressed by his bass solo - I seem to recall he sat down for it.

Prior to the gig I was aware of his talents but I was also disappointed that I managed to miss the only Whitesnake tour without Neil Murray (one of my favourite bass players) in about 10 years - he rejoined after this. I still haven't seen him!

I saw Neil Murray with the early whitesnake Marsden and Moody and then again many years later with 3M with Doogie White singing. He was such a huge influence on me back then. First heard him with Colloseum II.