Why become a member? ×

Expensive Ashdown pedals...

Musicman20

Ashdown amps have earned a very loyal following on here, and are a great UK success story to be celebrated. 

But with the arrival of superb multifx like the Helix Stomp, this belated, expensive and underwhelming foray into pedals by Ashdown feels like someone deciding that diesel engines are the future when the rest of the world is moving onto hybrids. 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Ashdown amps have earned a very loyal following on here, and are a great UK success story to be celebrated. 

But with the arrival of superb multifx like the Helix Stomp, this belated, expensive and underwhelming foray into pedals by Ashdown feels like someone deciding that diesel engines are the future when the rest of the world is moving onto hybrids. 

Analogue pedals will always have their place, same as valve amps. Some folks will never be swayed by all the digital shenanigans. Likewise many are unlikely to be swayed by anything in that video. Everything about the subject and contents of that “demo” is half baked at best...

To be honest, bass players like a nice fuzz pedal that's very flexible, and yes, compressors are useful to us, but I'm not sure those compressors are demo'd correctly or are necessary.

They could have worked with a niche boutique fuzz builder/collaborated and come up with something awesome fuzz wise. Maybe with Thorpyfx.

I have never bought an Ashdown product. I actually really rate the amps highly, however the footprint of their pedals have always been far too big compared to the features the pedal actually delivers. I remember the massive double sized tuner they marketed for ages. The Lomenzo Hyperdrive or whatever it was called was massive as well. 

I can't see there being a demand for three different bass large size compressors. When it comes to a compressor, I just want something that works and takes up the minimum of space on a pedal board. The Keeley Bassist I bought serves both purposes and is much cheaper. 

The controls on the Tripe Shot Drive Pedal look a bit incomprehensible at first glance ('Dark = bass, 'Light' = Treble, 'Roast' = ?), however it looks like a fun mess around pedal.

As an aside, I find the Andertons guitar demos to be a lot more in depth than the bass demos. The bass demos are fine but I never leave them going 'hmm, I think I want that'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

I have never bought an Ashdown product. I actually really rate the amps highly, however the footprint of their pedals have always been far too big compared to the features the pedal actually delivers. I remember the massive double sized tuner they marketed for ages. The Lomenzo Hyperdrive or whatever it was called was massive as well. 

I can't see there being a demand for three different bass large size compressors. When it comes to a compressor, I just want something that works and takes up the minimum of space on a pedal board. The Keeley Bassist I bought serves both purposes and is much cheaper. 

The controls on the Tripe Shot Drive Pedal look a bit incomprehensible at first glance ('Dark = bass, 'Light' = Treble, 'Roast' = ?), however it looks like a fun mess around pedal.

As an aside, I find the Andertons guitar demos to be a lot more in depth than the bass demos. The bass demos are fine but I never leave them going 'hmm, I think I want that'. 

Yeah....I agree. Nathan is a great player....on guitar and bass....but something just doesn't work in terms of wowwing me with things....

The whole "uniqueness" tack is a bit rich. VFE started making the triumvirate quite a few years ago... and only recently stopped... and now ashdown have come out with something very similar, but 3 times the size... Yay for progress!

3 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

I'd encourage Ashdown to give us their stance on the pedals....I assume they are made in the UK for £250 + (custom shop?).

Just checking their site and yes they are made in the UK, which will explain the price.

The Ashdown PRO FX range of pedals are manufactured in the UK using selected components from the best manufacturers in their respective fields

7 hours ago, Bigwan said:

The whole "uniqueness" tack is a bit rich. VFE started making the triumvirate quite a few years ago... and only recently stopped... and now ashdown have come out with something very similar, but 3 times the size... Yay for progress!

Also the Wounded Paw Black Sheep!