Why become a member? ×

After a combo that can do medium size gigs that is not too pricey, any suggestions

shoulderpet

Hi All

As per the thread title I am after a combo that can do medium size gigs that is not too pricey, am considering the below amps which all look like they would be up to the task, am after suggestions, thanks

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/TC-Electronic-BG250-115-MKII-Bass-Combo-Amp/VJF TC Electronics BG250 115 MK II combo, 250 w 1x15" combo

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/TC-Electronic-BG250-210-Bass-Combo-Amp/VJJ TC Electronics BG250 210  2x10" 250w combo

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Peavey-MAX115-MKII-Bass-Combo-Amplifier/U6S  Peavey MAX 115 MKII 1x15" 300w combo

How important is light weight? If you're not fussed then go second hand 'old school's (TE, Ashdown etc) for best bang for buck.

I've experience of all those amps and whilst they are giggable, they don't handle it well and lose a lot of composure at higher volumes.

• Like 2

I have a TC BG250 115 mk1. I’ve used it for the past few years in small/ medium pub gigs with a blues band(2 guitars, harp, drums and bass) . Usually  have the master at 5 and gain between 4/5 with bass and mid at +1 or 2 amd treble slightly higher. I use the spectracomp toneprint download at about 7. It’s never struggled to be heard. It’s about 19kg. Hope that helps 😄

GAS has me thinking of separates but funding keeping me honest for now😎 and the TC is doing the job I need it for so, there’s no rush to change.

Pat

Probably worth adding that at anything below those gain volume settings it seems to lack ‘presence’ but once you push two settings over approx. 4 it’s a different beast entirely. The sound really jumps out and pushes the air around the room!!  I use the volume on the bass rather than the amp to keep it down if the room needs it.

The TC is an amazingly good value combo. I also had a 115 that @Pat2019 now uses as my first bass combo. The 210 and 208 came out soon after I bought mine and I suspect if I was starting over, I'd go for one of these two instead now, just for the tighter punchier bass tone they seem to deliver. 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The TC is an amazingly good value combo. I also had a 115 that @Pat2019 now uses as my first bass combo. The 210 and 208 came out soon after I bought mine and I suspect if I was starting over, I'd go for one of these two instead now, just for the tighter punchier bass tone they seem to deliver. 

Thanks , how is the output for medium size gigs  ?

3 hours ago, Pat2019 said:

I have a TC BG250 115 mk1. I’ve used it for the past few years in small/ medium pub gigs with a blues band(2 guitars, harp, drums and bass) . Usually  have the master at 5 and gain between 4/5 with bass and mid at +1 or 2 amd treble slightly higher. I use the spectracomp toneprint download at about 7. It’s never struggled to be heard. It’s about 19kg. Hope that helps 😄

GAS has me thinking of separates but funding keeping me honest for now😎 and the TC is doing the job I need it for so, there’s no rush to change.

Pat

Thanks , this is very encouraging to hear

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I wonder how the 208 fares, I am edging towards the 115 for space reasons (tiny home :( ) but I wonder if the 208 would be a good compromise or whether it would lack low end

14 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

I wonder how the 208 fares, I am edging towards the 115 for space reasons (tiny home :( ) but I wonder if the 208 would be a good compromise or whether it would lack low end

Ok, have done a little research and it seems the 208 is worth skipping

2 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Ok, have done a little research and it seems the 208 is worth skipping

Sounds a bit drastic :) 

Another vote for a Trace Elliot combo if there's nowt wrong with your back.  Even the 150W is too loud for most gigs.

• Like 1

Have you tried looking at Thomann or Musik Produktiv?

Both do variations on the Ashdowm ABM 300 Evo III

Music Produktiv do a 2x10 version: https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/ashdown-amp-c210-300.html

As well as a 1x15 version: https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/ashdown-ampc115-300.html

Thomann do a 1x15 version: https://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_toneman_c115_evo_iii.htm

Both amps are tried & tested amps, dating back about 10 years, but still sound good, they're in a Rootmaster cabinet, and come in at around 23kg, and because they are new Ashdown's, they are covered by a standard 3 year warranty, extendable to 5 years if you register the amp online. The Thomann Toneman is cheaper, but they don't do a 2x10 version, but have the 300w & 600w heads and matching cabs available. Music Produktiv just do the combo's & cabs.

I bought the AMP (Ashdown Musik Produktiv) c210-300 combo earlier this year, and I'm very pleased with it.

9 hours ago, Pat2019 said:

Pat

9 hours ago, Pat2019 said:

Probably worth adding that at anything below those gain volume settings it seems to lack ‘presence’ but once you push two settings over approx. 4 it’s a different beast entirely. The sound really jumps out and pushes the air around the room!!  I use the volume on the bass rather than the amp to keep it down if the room needs it.

I was going to contradict @Pat2019 's recommendation. I had a TC combo which I found totally lack lustre and gutless (at low level at home). However I didn't give it a thorough going over at home which may have led to my conclusion. I know of others who spoke highly TC. I'm prepared to accept I might have been wrong - it happened once before.

Personally I'd give serious consideration to the Trace Elliot (though weight can be an issue) and/or the Ashdown - I have both and can't fault either. 

• Like 1

Again if you don’t mind a bit of weight how about a Peavey Bam 210, absolutely awesome sounding combo which goes silly loud, the only reason I moved mine in was the weight. They were very expensive when they first came out and can be picked up now for about £300.

same goes for an SWR Redhead, although these will not go as loud as a Bam they sound delicious.

not exactly a combo as such but close enough and close to the prices of the TC combos your looking at, my at home and small/medium gig rig.....

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ampeg-Micro-CL-Stack-Bass-Amp-Head-and-Cab/IOE

if you hunt around, can be picked up for reasonable prices, I got mine for less than 200 notes, portable enough and despite its small size, it can get loud...

or for a bit more power.....

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ampeg-SVT-Micro-VR-Bass-Amp-Head-and-Cab/F2B

again, if you hunt around, they can be picked up for good prices!

quite often I have seen people selling just the heads on their own too so if you have a compatible cabinet you love....

Edited by donslow

• 4 weeks later...