Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Thunderbird - disuade me, please. TONESTYLER and SANDBERG CONTENT

mcnach

I never even played one before...

But I'm finding myself wanting a white one really badly, and go out and "rawk"...

I blame Pete Way. 

Please tell me they are terrible and I shouldn't bother! 😄

edit: ... and I ended up with a Sandberg VM4

Edited by mcnach

After years of wanting one myself, I got one, and was sorely disappointed. Shame really, it sounded great but it was a bugger to play, especially if you've been used to playing "double cut" instruments.

Best advice would be to "play from the hip" (a la Mr Way).

As long as you get one of the neck through ones, and it fits you, they are great. I have one (that I am selling) and it works on me, but I took it to some guy locally who was interested in buying it, and it is true to say, it looked very odd on him. He was considerably bigger than me!

The necks are very long, and very thin. If you don't like that you won't be happy. Its true they aren't good for ska. But plug it in loud for a rock song and everything is perfect.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mcnach said:

I never even played one before...

But I'm finding myself wanting a white one really badly, and go out and "rawk"...

I blame Pete Way. 

Please tell me they are terrible and I shouldn't bother! 😄

The new Vintage Pro ones with the proper old style pickups do look great! I know that doesn't help...

• Like 2

Thank you for all the replies... 

In the end my old friend neck dive came to the rescue. That's a deal breaker for me. Not keen on necks that feel long (strap button positioning) either...

Shame. They sound good and look good.

My pocket is safe. Phew. :)

36 minutes ago, mcnach said:

In the end my old friend neck dive came to the rescue. That's a deal breaker for me. Not keen on necks that feel long (strap button positioning) either...

I was just about to state the obvious about the neck dive on these things but you have already made your mind up.

I had a Gibson Thunderbird a couple of years ago, it sounded great, looked great, and I really wanted to keep it, but the neck dive was horrendous so it had to go 😕

I’ve a P bass with a Lull Tbird pick up you’re welcome to come round and try out. It’s got a tone styler pot too so does a great range of sounds. I know you’re probably after the TBird look but if you’re after the sound in a familiar package it’s worth a look. 

8 hours ago, mcnach said:

I had a shiny black Pro version a while back - I thought it was pretty col - but maybe not for a wee fat middle aged man. I don't recall any great neck dive issues.

Sold it to a young skinny rock dude & I'm sure they were very well suited.

Anyway  my nephew who I think is 16 or 17 just bought this ...  pocket still safe?😌

iIMG-20190203-WA0003.thumb.jpg.16e6e93191fdce5fdff70c8ff1f596a2.jpg

Thunderbirds look great, sound great, but if in a case are incredibly impractical. The neck dive is also a pita, though once you acknowledge it and find a different place to put your on-stage drink and remember to reach for said drink with your picking hand you can then concentrate on low-slung heroics.

• Like 1

Weird the neck dive thing - I really don't have it. I have had worse neck dive on a P bass, which is odd as I assume all the epiphone neck throughs are the same?

The only thing I have a problem with mine (apart from the reason I am selling it, the 4 stringness of it) is that it is a bit of a singer killer with the long neck.

• Haha 1

I've always kind of wanted one because they look so cool and the Epiphone ones are a good price but I've read a lot of negative comments online about them not sounding good and even things along the line of "good sounding Thunderbird pickups don't seem to exist" etc.

13 minutes ago, sprocketflup said:

Now that Woodinblack has stated they are a bit if a singer killer, I shall look a bit more :)

Our singer has no respect for personal space, ie, my personal space, so is often hitting the end of my headstock. The thunderbird has hit his head a few times. On the plus side, it is roundy unlike the iceman, that looks like it really hurts!

If by "dissuade" you actually mean, "egg you on," then sure: I'm more familiar with the Gibson version, but it's a wonderful instrument. I'll second @stewblack's comments about them sounding great - given the pickup placements you could argue you're looking at a Jazz bass with more "oomph," and the front pickup soloed sits in a similarly comfortable sonic spot to a Precision. Also, I don't know whether it's the humbuckers or the neck-through construction, but if you like to venture up to the "dusty end" of the neck, you'll find them very articulate. I've also not had a problem with neck-dive.

THAT SAID, don't be tempted to skimp and go for one of the cheaper, bolt-on models. There are several good reasons why they're cheaper.

• Like 3

I also have the through neck vintage pro and there is no neck dive. I had a bolt on neck version and it did suffer neck dive. Great rock bass I found but not an all rounder as my Fender Jazz basses are. The Thunderbird is an acquired taste, quite a long neck, slightly offset, pups are great if you get one with the Gibson pups.

On 25/03/2019 at 09:06, krispn said:

I’ve a P bass with a Lull Tbird pick up you’re welcome to come round and try out. It’s got a tone styler pot too so does a great range of sounds. I know you’re probably after the TBird look but if you’re after the sound in a familiar package it’s worth a look. 

Indeed, the look was a great part of the attraction. 

I hear some people saying theirs do not suffer from neck dive, I think this is definitely one bass I would never buy without testing... or only buy used if cheap and I can move it easily if it doesn't work out...

Aside from the neck dive, I suspect that neck must feel really long. I've had basses with short upper horns that even if they didn't neck dive, the neck just didn't feel comfy, with the first fret being quite far... and I use the first few frets a lot.

Shame, it's a nice looking bass, and makes some nice noises too. 

Tone styler! That's interesting... I was looking at those a few weeks ago, they seem pretty cool.