Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Thunderbird - disuade me, please. TONESTYLER and SANDBERG CONTENT

mcnach

On 29/03/2019 at 10:31, Happy Jack said:

Yup, it's a bunch of resistors (I think, leccy stuff not being my strong suit) arranged around a pot. As you rotate the knob (click click click) you get slightly different tones.

I've tried Tonestyler units twice and, played at home, they sound great. Totally unconvinced that anyone (including me) can hear any difference at a gig.

I don't see it as something to give you a distinct tone from click to click of the control, but more something that can give you a couple of variations on the basic bass sound, in passive form. A bit like my passive tone control, it may change continuously but there's only 3 positions I use it at... 

I'd love to try one before I go ahead and buy it... I may have to PM @krispn for that ;)

I have always been in love with Thunderbirds and wanted one so badly. I decided to try out an Epiphone one and it was so meh, I couldn't believe it. I eventually sold it on eBay. Thing is, I don't know if its because it was an Epiphone and I still have terrible gas for a real one!

The Epiphone was lacking in power and just didn't sound great. I was really disappointed! 

30 minutes ago, ubit said:

I have always been in love with Thunderbirds and wanted one so badly. I decided to try out an Epiphone one and it was so meh, I couldn't believe it. I eventually sold it on eBay. Thing is, I don't know if its because it was an Epiphone and I still have terrible gas for a real one!

The Epiphone was lacking in power and just didn't sound great. I was really disappointed! 

Was it the bolt-on?

17 hours ago, mcnach said:

I don't see it as something to give you a distinct tone from click to click of the control, but more something that can give you a couple of variations on the basic bass sound, in passive form. A bit like my passive tone control, it may change continuously but there's only 3 positions I use it at... 

I'd love to try one before I go ahead and buy it... I may have to PM @krispn for that ;)

Get in touch via pm and we’ll sort something out. 

• Like 2

Whilst Thunderbirds are generally considered to be a bass of the Rock idiom, it wasn’t always so. Check out on YouTube the Four Seasons and guess what they’re playing,  firebirds and thunderbirds! Not really rock. Also if you saw the recent documentary on the Everley Brothers, one of the clips shows their bassist playing, yes you’ve guessed it,a Thunderbird.  Not very rock.

On 29/03/2019 at 18:18, DarkHeart said:

As I'm in UFO tribute band (Obsession) I've got a T/bird, I don't have a problem with neck dive and I don't have the horrid 3 point bridge either as mines the neck through Pro with the normal type of bridge. I replaced the standard (non Gibson) pickups with a specially wound pair of Ghost Dirty Dozens ( cheers Wilf) and it is a bit of a monster

IMG_20190329_181001.jpg

Is that with Andy Webb on drums?

6 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

I think what you actually mean is that I don't need another bass and have many other things I need to spend £521 on.

*wavers*

500 quid brand new - and it's neck-through!

Those control knobs are like actual little flying saucers! 😀

Now, think about what outfit you'd need to wear with it... 😄

Edited by Ricky 4000

3 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

500 quid brand new - and it's neck-through!

Those control knobs are like actual little flying saucers! 😀

Now, think about what outfit you'd need to wear with it... 😄

I have a mortgage and many hungry mouths to feed, you callous swine!

Plus I've already decided my outfit and it would be knee high silver platform boots and nothing else.

• Haha 3

On 25/03/2019 at 01:19, mcnach said:

I never even played one before...

But I'm finding myself wanting a white one really badly, and go out and "rawk"...

I blame Pete Way. 

Please tell me they are terrible and I shouldn't bother! 😄

Subs are the best basses ever

Stingrays are the best bass ever

I like jazzs but Stingrays are the best bass ever

Screw it why did I never get Precision basses before - they are amazing!

umm thunderbird?

You've changed, what's next a EB3? 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, DarkHeart said:

It is yeah, I take it you know him

For a week or two yup.

Andy on right, Rod Young middle, myself on left.

Not a Tbird in sight. Bought a Gibbo in '96, hideous neck, skinny but deep, lasted a fortnight.

Now Explorers, gigged an '84 for 17 years :$

IMG_20180304_0008.jpg

Edited by karlfer

2 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

I have a mortgage and many hungry mouths to feed, you callous swine!

Plus I've already decided my outfit and it would be knee high silver platform boots and nothing else.

The outfit thing was supposed to put you off the idea, but it's had the opposite effect! 😬

On 30/03/2019 at 16:11, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Was it the bolt-on?

I can’t even remember mate. All I know is it was an Epiphone Thunderbird. Looked awesome but sounded weak and uninteresting. 

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

From a visual perspective, these are beyond hideous, so much so that if Sandberg gave me one I'd never take it out of it's case.

That was more or less my first thought at that red one, but then I remembered I saw a blue and white one a few months back and thought it looked alright.

*adjusts Everton scarf and bobble hat*

• Haha 1