Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliot Cab Day... Again!

stewblack

This was all a bit of a whirlwind romance. I only found out about her yesterday and here we are happily ensconced in my room already. A Trace Elliot BLX 110 which sits daintily beneath my trusty Series 6 head and makes it sound like a normal bass amp but with honey on. Not light, not by any stretch but the easiest lift of any TE cab I've ever owned. Two of these would make for the most adorable and Tracelicious stack ever seen. I have a 210 coming to sit beneath but honestly I think that will be overkill.

I know the trend will be away from back line in favour of the Sony Walkman, or whatever young folk use these days, but luckily I'll be dead and buried long before it catches on. In the meantime I'm going to gaze adoringly at my green and black beauties, and sigh with contentment every time I hear that deep satisfying badouff as I flick the power switch to on.

NCD.jpg.23d46011dd02bfc3f1617bdf8a4c290d.jpg

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 7

32 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Strangely I believe this was the extension cab to the BLX 130. Strange because it looks nothing like the 130. Of course you know what BLX stands for.....

Just assume that I don't, for the benefit of those less well travelled 

19 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Just assume that I don't, for the benefit of those less well travelled 

The range was called dogs BLX at trace and the prefix is a abbreviation of that. 

As I write I feel sure that someone is going to tell me it is an urban myth.

• Like 1

You’re spot on and it’s not the only time they’ve been a bit “crazy” 🤔

The BFC cab they released at the end of the 90s was sold as “Bass Frequency Cab” but they actually wanted to call it the “Big F*%king Cab”

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2019 at 17:11, tony_m said:

At the risk of derailing this into a "Show me your BLX-110" thread, here's mine.

Really like the GP7 - plenty loud enough for normal work these days surely (days of massive backlines gone?) and I always reckoned the road to volume was more or better cabs anyway. The 7 band is really good - the frequencies are just right I think and I wouldn't need more. Like the 12 too of course, like them all really.
Never tried a 110 but surely you'd need at least a couple? Would look fab, 2 of them with a 7 on the top.
This thread is reminding me to try and get my old Twin Valve back - see if the guy I gave it to (yep, and it was truly mint) still has it.

4 hours ago, Soledad said:

Never tried a 110 but surely you'd need at least a couple? Would look fab, 2 of them with a 7 on the top.
This thread is reminding me to try and get my old Twin Valve back - see if the guy I gave it to (yep, and it was truly mint) still has it.

Not gigged it yet but the 1 10 is surprisingly loud. Now I've paired it with a 2 10 it's massive. 

It's this thread in particular that prompted me to hunt dowm my Twin Valve combo - amazingly not too hard. I got it new, gave it to Mike, he got divorced so it's in store in Cheshire. Never been gigged. Hopefully it's coming back to me. May need a 210 to go with it. I do remember it sounding the VFDB ;) Looks good too, all metally on the front, tasty.If I get it back i'll post pics.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soledad said:

It's this thread in particular that prompted me to hunt dowm my Twin Valve combo - amazingly not too hard. I got it new, gave it to Mike, he got divorced so it's in store in Cheshire. Never been gigged. Hopefully it's coming back to me. May need a 210 to go with it. I do remember it sounding the VFDB ;) Looks good too, all metally on the front, tasty.If I get it back i'll post pics.

Can't wait to see it 

• Like 1

Weekend of gigs and rehearsals coming up. I shall be using all Trace stuff for the first time in years. 250 head, 2x10 and 1x10 cabs. 

I shall have my Bugera Veyron in the leads box as back up but hopefully all will go smoothly. 

I know nobody in the band or audience will notice or care but being a bass player I'm used to that. I will get huge pleasure just looking at that lovely black and green. 

• Like 2

On 27/03/2019 at 02:40, Soledad said:

Really like the GP7 - plenty loud enough for normal work these days surely (days of massive backlines gone?) and I always reckoned the road to volume was more or better cabs anyway. The 7 band is really good - the frequencies are just right I think and I wouldn't need more. Like the 12 too of course, like them all really.

Have to confess, I've only used the AH200GP7 + BLX-110 for rehearsals so far. With the current band, it definitely punches its weight, but was a tad lost at times with the last bunch where we had a volume-control-less drummer + keyboards going through the PA. With them, I added an Ashdown 2x10 cab to make a 3x10 stack, and just played along with the mayhem... 🙄

• 4 weeks later...