Why become a member? ×

Those Copiers Were Fast In The Old Days.

Why would anyone put their name to such a hunk of junk? Sorry but those tuners and that thing that's where you would normally find the bridge just look like tat. Not to mention that the pickups are wonky

Edited by dyerseve

17 hours ago, Ashborygirl said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-guitar-Rare-from-1954-project/123705497389?hash=item1ccd6c172d:g:Y-IAAOSw3qVcl8k-

So Kay managed to get a copy to the market 7 years before the original?  My first bass was one of these, bought new in Cleveland Music on 3 July 1982 for £59.

Just like my Kay 'SG' it's got the traditional 'not in the middle of the neck' truss rod skunk stripe, although that's the worst I've seen...

Edited by Stub Mandrel

57 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Just like my Kay 'SG' it's got the traditional 'not in the middle of the neck' truss rod skunk stripe, although that's the worst I've seen...

yeah but this one is fine because it has the added benefit of the straplock pin being screwed in to it because, well, ummm.... I mean that upper horn doesnt look very substantial does it... oh wait, what...no, hang on, im sure there is a good reason...

5 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

yeah but this one is fine because it has the added benefit of the straplock pin being screwed in to it because, well, ummm.... I mean that upper horn doesnt look very substantial does it... oh wait, what...no, hang on, im sure there is a good reason...

Beacause the body is 1" thick plywood?

Yes my 'SG' has the strap button on the neck...

On 25/03/2019 at 07:07, prowla said:

Apparently they’re going to sue Rickenbacker for trademark infringement. 

Sadly they'd need to do that from beyond the corporate grave!

Ibanez, on the other hand, were selling their 2388B models over 10 years before JH's Rickenbacker International Corp even came into existence, and nearly 30 years before he stole, sorry - registered - the design trademarks to RIC... :D

Proper can of worms, if anybody ever wanted to open it!

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Sadly they'd need to do that from beyond the corporate grave!

Ibanez, on the other hand, were selling their 2388B models over 10 years before JH's Rickenbacker International Corp even came into existence, and nearly 30 years before he stole, sorry - registered - the design trademarks to RIC... :D

Proper can of worms, if anybody ever wanted to open it!

Yep - the 70s copies pre-date the trademark registration, so (provided they don't have a Ric logo) they don't infringe it.

And anyway, they are no longer available new, so it's just chasing shadows on the 2nd hand market.

However, I do have respect for the way they have stuck to their original base and not sold out & offshored.

And those current Chickenbackers are awful!