Why become a member? ×

Inner City Blues - Oh, Mr Babbitt...

Old Man Riva

Listened to the Detroit mix of the What's Going On album today and lost the whole day to it! The Detroit mix is the original mix, and not the mix found on the released album (which was done in LA a month or so after the Detroit mix). 

Anyway, Inner City Blues. I've always 'heard' the (Bob Babbitt) bass line in my head as being much simpler/straightforward than it actually is, but listening to it on headphones today there's a ton of stuff going on that I'd not heard/appreciated before.

It's such a lovely line; perfect for the song and beautifully played... so, maybe a daft question, but... is there more than one bass on the track?! I know there are vocal comps through the album (initially coming about by accident where the two engineers - Kenneth Sands and Steve Smith - mixed a comp of two vocal takes, which Gaye loved) so is the bass line a similar experiment/outcome?

Whatever it is, it's a masterful performance by a wonderful musician?

Help a curious pair of ears out here, folks!

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Amazing track and yes, so much more going on the more you listen. Hard as f**k to play with that feel. 

I always assumed it was Jamerson 

It's such a great line; one of the grooviest things I've heard in a long long while. Great feel and tons of groove...

Jamerson is on the rest of the album with the exception of Mercy, Mercy Me and Right On, which are Mr Babbitt.

Love BB, ever since I saw “Standing in the shadows of Motown...” what a guy!

Anyhow, shocked that I didn’t hear MG’s estate suing the donkey off Radiohead...”drunken punchup at a wedding” is a direct lift for feel...if not notes...although it’s bloody close.

25 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Love BB, ever since I saw “Standing in the shadows of Motown...” what a guy!

Anyhow, shocked that I didn’t hear MG’s estate suing the donkey off Radiohead...”drunken punchup at a wedding” is a direct lift for feel...if not notes...although it’s bloody close.

Yes, he comes across really well in that doc. I imagine the pressure of being in a group of musicians that included Jamerson would’ve been quite something. He was a wonderful player in his own right, and nailed the songs in the doc perfectly - why wouldn’t he?!

And Chaka Khan! There’s a moment during What’s Going On where the world almost stops turning for me due to her performance...

Edited by Old Man Riva
Edited in order to spell Jamerson correctly!
  • Like 2

I must have the L.A mix as this is far busier and not so clear sounds like some sort of echo/repeat on this mix or something as it sounds like 2 different basslines...your right it's very busy but sorry I prefer the L.A mix simply because of the better production but just my preference and indeed Mr.Babbitt was a fine bassist RIP

I know Jamerson was the star at Motown but the fantastic playing that Bob Babbitt brought to his sessions just makes me smile. IMO his tone on Gladys Knight's record Midnight Train To Georgia is one of the best bass sounds on record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdfZnWsps34

These Stevie Wonder recordings just swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADpoSeWAK8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvRwR-hZDVY

• Like 1