Why become a member? ×

Calling Stingray experts...

hookys6stringbass

4 hours ago, ahpook said:

Nice to see Mr. Severin getting a mention.

Def. Never been a big fan of S&TB but they certainly had a pretty unique sound, and methinks Steve Severin had a lot of input on that. 

Also made me think listening to the vid how insipid the bass sounded on its own but just how well it worked on the songs.

39 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Def. Never been a big fan of S&TB but they certainly had a pretty unique sound, and methinks Steve Severin had a lot of input on that. 

Also made me think listening to the vid how insipid the bass sounded on its own but just how well it worked on the songs.

I don't think the bass was at its best, um...bass-wise around that time. There's some great basslines on 'Tinderbox', but they're buried a bit in the mix.

Edited by ahpook

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

At the moment it’s Marilyn (White/maple ‘Ray)/Lull for the Bowie band, the Modulus/Lull for the 80’s band and the modified Flea ‘61 for the ska band.

The Special is great and I tend to rotate the ‘Rays. This thread has prompted me to get the 30th out. Might use it at the gig on Saturday.

I love that you’re gigging loads and getting good use out of some outstanding basses. Top stuff brother. Enjoy the 30th at the weekend. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

At the moment it’s Marilyn (White/maple ‘Ray)/Lull for the Bowie band, the Modulus/Lull for the 80’s band and the modified Flea ‘61 for the ska band.

The Special is great and I tend to rotate the ‘Rays. This thread has prompted me to get the 30th out. Might use it at the gig on Saturday.

Oh bugger (whoopee no profanity substitution 😂) and there was me hoping you might sell it - I have the mahogany Sabre to go with a 30th SR4 - if I could find one!! Oh well!!

Have you seen the You Tube vids with Bob Babbitt playing a 2006 30th Stingray? 

The ska band I play in get a Stingray Special or Old Smoothie - they both work really well in that setting. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

No, I don't think so. Do you have a link?

I used the Smoothie for the last Bowie gig - PHAT!

Yes they sound great. I remember seeing Horace Panter using a Stingray Classic a few years back on live performances so not entirely out of the question on ska - a liitle off piste but do you reckon drummers would use a drum kit from the era or something more modern - or keyboard players? I've got the feeling they're slightly less bothered perhaps.  

The vid with Babbitt is demoing a cable - but it's on a 30th Stingray. 

https://youtu.be/NNENWcEwazk

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1