Why become a member? ×

tension and flats

steve-bbb

soooo ..... yesterday i went out and had a totally impulse GAS purchase of something ive never had before but it was so devilishly handsome and a good bargain i couldnt resist

i now have a dilemma - having been an avid swingbass 45-105  user since my mispent teens, i now find myself in a position where i need to find a set of  ...... FLATS (there i said it, wasnt easy) to bring out the full beastliness of this little cracker

suggest away please - ideally would like similar ish guage and similar ish tension

thank you muchly

54728160_278261993069137_6642716674782920704_n.thumb.jpg.2a822ffa92492a4405572df363dafd37.jpg

I own two brands.

Steve Harris signature flats. Not recommended for any bass other than p basses with chunky, I mean baseball type necks. High tension.

Fender flats used on my squier p bass. so nice warm smooth with comfortable tension.

Edited by SH73
  • Like 1

Flats are nearly always higher tension than rounds. Rotosound and Fender flats are some of the highest tension flats, so I would not advise these. 

Without knowing what style(s) of music you will be using flats for and you require fairly low tension, then there's only one set of flats which will suit what you've told us which are Ernie Ball Colbalt flats.

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Flats are nearly always higher tension than rounds. Rotosound and Fender flats are some of the highest tension flats, so I would not advise these. 

Without knowing what style(s) of music you will be using flats for and you require fairly low tension, then there's only one set of flats which will suit what you've told us which are Ernie Ball Colbalt flats.

im guessing the manufacture for lower tension is the reason for the premium price of labella and thomastik ? using it for anything generally that might need that old school warm soft thump

12 minutes ago, steve-bbb said:

im guessing the manufacture for lower tension is the reason for the premium price of labella and thomastik ? using it for anything generally that might need that old school warm soft thump

Scrap the Colbalts (modern sounding flats) than. Going from rounds to old school flats is going to be a very big difference. Anyway, if you want low tension and old school warm thump than Labella 760FS is what you require!

Lovely G5440LSB by the way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Scrap the Colbalts (modern sounding flats) than. Going from rounds to old school flats is going to be a very big difference. Anyway, if you want low tension and old school warm thump than Labella 760FS is what you require!

thanks - strangely i was just comparing prices on the 760FS sets and reading the reviews on thomann and other sites - think will go for them as a starter :)

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Are GHS flats low tension?

I play on the top of the strings and have no idea what high or low tension means in this context.

I used GHS flats for about 4 years and they were very good.  I only took them off when a set of TI flats came up at a great price. For me there was no difference in feel between TI and GHS strings.

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

IMO GHS Precision flatwound strings would be a good place to start looking.

8 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Are GHS flats low tension?

Good call, I found these quite comfortable to play, not as floppy as TIs but not high-tension like Rotosound/Fender/Chromes

On 24/03/2019 at 12:11, hooky_lowdown said:

I realise this may be subjective but the 760FS have always felt like solid iron bars to me, not sure what the actual physical tension of them is like,  I would personally go for 760FX for low tension 

and here she is back from  luthier setup at 81guitarworks - nut slots needed filing down to lower the string height which was massive and the whole nut smoothed and rounded off so no longer looking like the factory had just plonked a lego brick on the end of the fretboard, relief adjusted bridge lowered intonationation checked, all frets were good from the factory so nothing needed there - la bella fsr 45-105 and it actually sounds like an acoustic bass now!

photo courtesy Simon @81guitarworks

55882342_2176768302383505_3357938872351719424_n.thumb.jpg.86037749b86d7cc9a7af48bd70ed8b91.jpg

• Like 2

On 26/03/2019 at 09:15, shoulderpet said:

I realise this may be subjective but the 760FS have always felt like solid iron bars to me, not sure what the actual physical tension of them is like,  I would personally go for 760FX for low tension 

fsr tension feels fine on these and setup has matched the setup on all my other basses and tbh doesnt really feel like a massive difference when you are concentrating on slightly differnt "acousticy" technique compared to playing a solid body with rounds - although he did say that the truss rod is pretty much maxed out because of the increase in tension and too much relief beforehand

Edited by steve-bbb

4 hours ago, steve-bbb said:

fsr tension feels fine on these and setup has matched the setup on all my other basses and tbh doesnt really feel like a massive difference when you are concentrating on slightly differnt "acousticy" technique compared to playing a solid body with rounds - although he did say that the truss rod is pretty much maxed out because of the increase in tension and too much relief beforehand

Fair enough, I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to string tension, if it feels ok to you then thats what matters

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve-bbb said:

Yeah I would say that La Bella's have a pretty standard tension as far as flats go. You might try the La Bella Low Tension flats if the neck starts to struggle with the FS's. The LTF's feel really nice, but I wasn't keen because they only come in quite a light guage.

Si

• Like 1