Why become a member? ×

Carlcoops

Hi all, My name is Carl and I'm a month into owning and learning how to play bass. I've never played any instrument before and took the plunge. I bought an epiphone toby deluxe iv (mustard coloured) along with a fender rumble 40 amp for a bargain £200 off gumtree both like new with leads and a boss tuner and gig bag. 

My main influences are the grunge and punk genres. I started following a couple of YouTube videos but have since downloaded the songsterr app for my phone instead. Since then I learnt (to an extent) White Stripes '7 Nation Army' in a day and today had a go at Smashing Pumpkins 'tonight tonight' following the Bass tabs. 

I'm a little worried over picking up bad habits and also the fact that this is not teaching me notes, scales and other things. Am I better off learning scales and arpeggios and the theory side of it first or carry on with a 50songs to bass kind of way of learning. 

Any advice is much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carlcoops said:

I'm a little worried over picking up bad habits and also the fact that this is not teaching me notes, scales and other things. Am I better off learning scales and arpeggios and the theory side of it first or carry on with a 50songs to bass kind of way of learning. 

Welcome Carlcoops.

"Am I better off" depends on what you want from bass.

For me, it is a hobby that I'd like to keep free of stress.  I get stressed around teachers.  I play along to YT clips mainly these days but I am happy to play with others as opportunities come along.  TAB is as much as I need to get me going if I am struggling to get a line by ear.  Reading notation is no longer on the cards for me for personal reasons.

For many others learning standard notation and doing scales is very definitely the way to go.

You'll have to try a little of each to find out for yourself.

• Like 2

Welcome...

First steps...get your major and minor scales under your belt. Don't forget to visit Scotts Bass Lessons - lots there that'll help your progress. Having said that, there are plenty of other helpful videos on YT which will help you develop. 

Don't be too intimidated about joining a band will...somebody has to be the "weakest player" and you'll probably make more progress through this than any other method. 

• Like 1

Hiya Carl :crigon_04:

Everyone does things their own way:

I've been playing for 25 years this year: first few years playing along to CDs & cassettes (pre-internet), then playing in a gigging band for 10 years - learning scales, chords, modes & about playinh live & locking in with a drummer.

For the past few years I've played for myself at home with a quick {unsuccessful) foray with a new band.

Wherever you're up to, as long as you find it rewarding, its the right way of doing it.

Good luck! :)

• Like 2