Why become a member? ×

NBD MPU 6 string

JohnFitzgerald

I'm feeling immensely fortunate.

After some toing and froing with the seller (all very good natured) I've snagged this bass.
Built by Marko Ursin, a Finnish Luthier, it was a custom build in 2009 for the original owner, who I've just bought it from.
I'd never really imagined having a single cut, but this was just so nice.
I'm still getting used to the Aguilar OBP3 / Bartolini G6 combo, but it's such a responsive bass.

I'd felt fortunate owning my Fame / Mayones 6 string, but this is every bit as special.

Given it's A Finnish bass, crafted by a gent by the name of Ursin, it might gain an appropriate headstock logo.
Finnish national animal is the bear and Ursin, must be derived from Ursine, for bear.

IMG_0366.thumb.jpg.fddce82bac2542a0c02ae589ab4c4776.jpgIMG_0377.thumb.jpg.64d51c668057e3305b33e481d19924ea.jpgIMG_0371.thumb.jpg.4bc2301596129a6d6931081b97bfa3e2.jpgIMG_0367.thumb.jpg.fbd2e4c609455d7b47d9cf3fa364eef6.jpgIMG_0372.thumb.jpg.c03e506bfac9a874e5154f8626344d3b.jpgIMG_0376.thumb.jpg.cdc80af65d08d8f8679b3b78c145a716.jpgIMG_0370.thumb.jpg.fa913a796265318ea90c7df610669562.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

• Like 5

You need a Finnish bear - google Karhu, the Finnish for bear and also the name of a leading brand of beer there. I have the Karhu (beer) logo tattooed on my left arm as a   reminder of the years I lived in that fine country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

You need a Finnish bear - google Karhu, the Finnish for bear and also the name of a leading brand of beer there. I have the Karhu (beer) logo tattooed on my left arm as a   reminder of the years I lived in that fine country.

Dave, 

That's EXACTLY what I'd been thinking off.

An inlaid Abalone bear.

Your logo is much classier than mine! I took the top off a 24 pack of Karhu olut to the tattooist and they copied it. When i returned to Finland a couple of months later, my Finnish friends insisted on my showing the tattoo to everyone we met!

Yours looks much more like something that belongs on a bass headstock, and as a six string player myself, I am turning somewhat green!

The aesthetics were very right. As far as I am concerned, if the aesthetic is that good then the design has to be there or thereabouts. I still kick myself for deciding 2 hours to late. As I said, if you are out there, do the right thing and sell it to me. The seller took the pics down. I only have one in a PM. Do I need to get out more?

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:31, Matte_black said:

Strange to see a non-carbonfiber bass made by Marko 😉

Anyway he's good at it, no doubt! Just don't understand the reason for the mismatched color tuners. 😄

Customer asked for it, same as the black / gold bridge.
I wouldn't have asked for that but will never change it, all part of the story.

37 minutes ago, MPU said:

Wow, one of my tinkerings on an international discussion forum! Glad to hear you like the bass!

Marko

2 actually, I bought another one when my memory was jogged seeing this thread. Sadly, DHL have managed to deliver it to the wrong address so at the moment I am in limbo. Feel my pain.

• Like 1