Why become a member? ×

there are bassists and then there are bassists, which are you in your band?

On the one hand you've got your Phil Lynotts, Stings,  Mark Kings, Steve Harri (the plural of Harris fact fans) etc blokes who are the creative forces and /or frontmen as well as the bassmen. On 't other there's Wossisface, Doobry Wotsit,  That Other Bloke in xx,  The One On The Guitar With Only 4 Strings etc.  Which are you? 😊

must admit, I'm a bit of a show off, jump around a bit and even fall on the floor at one point, we are in the entertainment business after all, and I write some of the songs and do backing vocals, bit of and average bass player though :lol:

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Haha 1

Not presently in a gigging band but in my last band all the songs were co-written between me & the vocalist.

Now in a composing/recording project with the same singer and all the songs are co-written by me  & 'er. In addition as well as the bass, it now falls to me to play the guitars, program the drums & play/program the pretend keyboardy bits too. Oh, and misproduce the result!

• Like 1

I was always a bassist who wanted to do diddly diddly.  Eventually I took up sax to let off the show off, and now I meekly play the invisible rhythm section geezer when I'm on bass. But it does have to be a sixer,  to remind people there's more to me than a stand up drummer.  

Definitely the former- I do the arrangements for the band and direct the rehearsals. The singers handle the aesthetics and the organisation but the buck stops with me with the music. It’s a double edged sword, it’s a lot of work getting up to five part horn arrangements ready, our keyboardist only reads and the guitarist has the memory of a sieve but on the plus side- if I don’t want to play a song, we don’t! 

Depends which band. In one,  I’m front and centre grooving with the lead vocalist, in the other, I’m at the back letting others be the centre of attention.

Edited by ezbass

Sometimes Id like to be hiding in the corner, but generally im on the front line. I think I like it there.

Couple weeks ago I played a gig with a raging toothache, was literally clawing at my face during soundcheck, and eyed the pliers in my little toolbag more than once. On that occasion I wanted to be offstage completely. The show must go on though, no-one commented so I guess they thought my grimaces were bass faces

• Sad 1

I was in a conventional 3 piece band, so nowhere to hide really.

I've often mused about retiring to the backline of a great soul band (complete with horns and backing singers), once I reach a certain weight. 👍

Although now i'm thinking a reggae band (with horns and backing singers) would be just as fabulous.