Why become a member? ×

Unrealistic much?

JapanAxe

Entirely reasonable level of expectations for a pre-Madonna.

No doubt the manager, publicist, PA, choreographer, video director, fashion designer, make-up artist, hairdresser, personal trainer and spiritual advisor are already in place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

https://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/madonna-tribute-act-looking-for-musicians-t1151835.html

Would-be Madonna tribute vocalist looking for someone with 'a good sound system and mic'.

Eh? Think I'll look for a band that can provide a good bass and amp!

Looks to me like he/she is just asking for a sound person to help put on the show. As they seem to be putting a show together why wouldn't they want a PA?

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Looks to me like he/she is just asking for a sound person to help put on the show. As they seem to be putting a show together why wouldn't they want a PA?

Might just be my interpretation, but "looking for musicians and dancers and someone with a good sound system and mic" sounds rather like she's asking for absolutely everything apart from her own vocal chords, not just a sound person. Would we take seriously an ad that said "guitarist seeks a band with a good guitar and amp"..?

14 minutes ago, UglyDog said:

Might just be my interpretation, but "looking for musicians and dancers and someone with a good sound system and mic" sounds rather like she's asking for absolutely everything apart from her own vocal chords, not just a sound person. Would we take seriously an ad that said "guitarist seeks a band with a good guitar and amp"..?

It's possible that her only previous experience was in a band with some poor schmuck who did all this stuff for her, and now she thinks that she is deserving of nothing less.

S.P.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UglyDog said:

Well yes, she is putting a show together. Everyone starts somewhere don't they? Could be its just bad English, could be she doesnt own a mic yet, could be she doesn't know how things work.

Lots of bands gig with house PA’s that supply mics, and lots of bands starting out dont. always need to buy mics. Rehearsals studios have them, house PA’s will have them. Maybe she would expect a PA to come with a mic. 

I know a few musicians (myself included) that own a PA, inc mics that the band use (none of the backing singers in my old bands ever owned mics).  I also know bands that dont own a PA and either hire one or use a supplied one. 

I dont get why its getting more and more common on here to start threads and rip people apart. I thought us bass players were the good guys, or at least that what bass players tell me on here. 

Just my thoughts of course. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

Do singers normally bring (and pay for) their own microphone and PA?

Interesting question. Regardless of the whys and wherefores, a singer should at least provide their own mic and stand. Not doing so is akin to one of us turning up without a bass, surely. PAs are sometimes owned jointly, sometimes by one band member. I have my own (means I can decide who I play with - plenty of people want you in their band if you have a decent PA).

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I think you're all missing the point...she's THE SINGER. Have you got no concept of what that means??? 🙄🙄

Oh, I understand every bit of it. I've played with rock guitarists before. :D 

Edited by BassBus
  • Haha 1