Why become a member? ×

Dawsons excel themselves...

Cosmo Valdemar

I've been searching high and low for a hardcase for one of my Thunderbirds. These things are like gold dust at the moment! Dawsons seem to be the only place with any in stock, so I ordered one. I ordered a similar case about a year ago and had to return it due to it being a bit damaged, but it was replaced without question and I couldn't even remember where I had got it.

It arrived wrapped in bin bags and sellotape, with no protection. Not a good sign. I took pictures just in case the case had been damaged.

Peel off the bin bag - case seems structurally sound, some minor wear to the edges. Clearly not brand new but no big deal, should be able to wangle a few quid off with Dawsons.

Sadly, closer inspection shows the wear to be a little bit worse than I thought. The case looks like it's been used a fair bit. Or thrown around. 

Then the plot thickened. I noticed a very distinctive 'piercing' to the case, as if stabbed with a knitting needle. Right through the outside. I looked up my previous purchase from a year ago and the subsequent correspondence with the dealer. Yes, you've guessed it - it was Dawsons, and it's the exact same case. One year later.

I'm astounded. Not only that the case has made it's way back to me, but that an item returned as clearly damaged can find it's way back into circulation. I wonder how many times it's been sold and returned in the past year.

I've re-sent the email from last year to customer services, with an update of today's discovery. I'll be interested to get a response.

20190321_183411.jpg

20190321_184249.jpg

20190321_184149.jpg

20190321_184037.jpg

20190321_184043.jpg

Cheeky!

I bought a b-grade case from Norman's today. Their website had this (accurate) photo of the damage, and the price was about 45% off.

I'm guessing that epiphone one cost a bit more than £69 full price?

image.png.a019644046126b52b1f43fb600d654cc.png

<edit> I've just peeled the sellotape off, mostly glued back in place OK, so I just dabbed the last bit (the round spot at the bottom) with a sharpie and it's virtually invisible.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

Update: I spoke to a helpful guy on the phone who sounded pretty embarrassed about the whole thing. A return was arranged, but according to the email I would need to pack with bubble wrap and a box - even though it was only sent to me in a bin bag! 

The chap on the phone confirmed this was correct. Luckily I've got a few boxes in the loft. After some bartering I managed to get the case for £60 to avoid the hassle of returning it, but ultimately I just thought sod it and it's being collected today. Doubtless it will be put straight back up for sale.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

A return was arranged, but according to the email I would need to pack with bubble wrap and a box - even though it was only sent to me in a bin bag!

A distance sale, you have the right to return within `14 days in the original packaging, no questions asked.

• Like 2