Why become a member? ×

Gig Bags for Short-Scale Basses

Stub Mandrel

I live about five minutes from Norman's and spotted a Stagg hard electric guitar case with a tear in the covering for £39 today 🙂

I got it for my Tele but secretly hoped the jaguar SS would fit - it's almost exactly 1/2" too small 😞

The Jaguar is about 42 3/8" or 1080mm long.

Affordable short-scale cases seem to be thin on the ground, but I really need one for storage rather than regular transport.

I do like the TGI Extreme padded cases (I have a flatback mandolin one), but the bass one is much too long.

The TGI Extreme padded guitar case is only 1060mm internally but being soft my thought is it should work, but I wouldn't want it to be stretched tight as this will just compress the padding at the vulnerable top and bottom.

Has anyone tried to fit a Jaguar SS in one of these cases?

Or do you know of a quality alternative for a similar price (~£40- 45)

Edited by Stub Mandrel

12 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Fender urban ss gig bag.

Good suggestion, although the padding is only 11mm.

Sadly " Availability This item is no longer available for purchase "

Three on eBay from Japan cheapest is £95 'rare'! + £22.75 postage!

Clearly a desirable gig bag....

The only Fender ones i can  find are "Fender FBSS-610 Short Scale Bass Bag" which doesn't look anywhere near as nice and even thinner padding 😞

Well I can get a cheap one from Thomann as a worst case case (or worst case bag...)

Edited by Stub Mandrel

2cm longer than the quoted internal length of the Gator XL I have for sale, I have just checked with a tape measure and it would be too tight I think,the frame is just 109cm and whilst there is a cut out for the strap button in the middle of the case the offset shape of the Jaguar means it will be the same as the one you bought, shame

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

2cm longer than the quoted internal length of the Gator XL I have for sale, I have just checked with a tape measure and it would be too tight I think,the frame is just 109cm and whilst there is a cut out for the strap button in the middle of the case the offset shape of the Jaguar means it will be the same as the one you bought, shame

Hi, yes, I looked at your ad, thanks. The Jag seems to be designed to be exactly a 'tad' too long for hard guitar cases.

I might take it along to a shop and try it in a TGI Extreme.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, naxos10 said:

My longer short scale basses fit in a Fusion Funksion electric guitar gig bag if you can get one.

Interesting the spec says it's about 2" short of what I need.

I've decided to just take the bass to a shop and try different guitar bags. I got a roksak thrown in when I got it, but it's unpadded.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem finding a padded gig bag for my short scale Italia bass.  I bought a cheap Stagg, unpadded, bag which is just a few inches long in the neck but otherwise OK.  I then found some foam sheets that were used to pack audio gear and cut them to size.  It's a little bit of a faff putting the guitar in the bag and making sure the foam is in place but it works!

I emailed the distributors of Italia guitars (JHS) to see if they could recommend a gig bag but got no reply.