Why become a member? ×

Non paying venue Bognor

julesb

Just a heads up that if any of you are about to play the Pier Hotel in Bognor,  have agreed a fee beforehand and expect to be paid that fee then tread carefully. I don't wish to go into details here but please dm me if this may affect you and you can make your own mind up. This happened about a month ago and after repeated contact it's not looking good. I think it's only fair to let people know.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I might be tempted to visit the venue and accidentally drop some Sulphur Dioxide capsules...I am known to be vindictive sometimes.

Good suggestion. For really spiffing results, try ethyl mercaptan, aka the smelliest substance known to man. I used to play in a band with an industrial chemist and he put just a smidgeon in the loos of a pub that upset us. Place emptied in short order.

• Like 3

Never upset a band. We are a different breed and usually have the advantage of knowing we will never see the people in question again. We have exacted revenge on a number of venues from nicking stage lights to scratching polished floors. 

Are your band members in the Musician’s Union? Well worth having a chat with them as their legal department can assist with “writing a firm letter of intent”. Recovering fees and protecting yourselves in the future is something they can help with.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, julesb said:

Just a heads up that if any of you are about to play the Pier Hotel in Bognor,  have agreed a fee beforehand and expect to be paid that fee then tread carefully. I don't wish to go into details here but please dm me if this may affect you and you can make your own mind up. This happened about a month ago and after repeated contact it's not looking good. I think it's only fair to let people know.

Not good to hear this! 

Have to say that when I played there in December, we didn't have that problem but that doesn't excuse this situation as described in the OP. 

The MU might be helpful with this but it's a long time since I was a member, so I've no idea what their current remit and reach is... However, the suggestion by@Dood seems like a good line of approach.

Best of luck with it! 

Nik 

1 hour ago, UglyDog said:

Strikes me that whilst dropping a stink bomb in the khazi is a disruptive jape, stealing lights and scratching floors are theft and criminal damage. Bit of a difference. You may as well just stick your hand in the till.

Not being paid is also stealing! 

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

IME the MU doesn't have much interest in semi pro pub gigs.

Most tend to pay up when they receive a letter from the MU legal department. I have not had to dish one out myself yet, but I know that other bands have and settled soon after. However, it does require the band to be in the MU to access that help. Even if the band aren't, it would be wise to flag to the MU about the venue anyway in case there are other bands who have also reported and maybe in the midst of proceedings. 

25 minutes ago, UglyDog said:

If there's no written arrangement, there's no proof. Verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

My point above is useful here too. Every band doing a gig in a venue (and being paid for it) needs a contract in place. Sadly so many bands can't be bothered and leave themselves wide open to getting sh&fted. 

Facebook 23 mins ago:

"So, ladies and gentlemen. It is with huge regret that we are now officially able to announce that The Pier Hotel is no longer.

After huge amounts of structural damage sustained over the winter and dwindling customer numbers, we are no long able to sustain the venue.

I, personally, would like to take this opportunity to thank every single person, every single band and every single act that made the venue what it was over the past 2 and a half years. We took a huge gamble with the place and despite our best efforts, it could not continue.

Thank you all dearly and fingers crossed in the near future, we may have something more for you to look forward to. For now though, Live Music is not dead, its just in hiding!!!! "

Another one bites the dust.

8 hours ago, julesb said:

Thanks all. We will be taking action soon as the guy has had enough chances. Anyway, at least you know if you end up heading that way in the near future. Cheers!

Good for you. I hope that you get what you are owed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, julesb said:

Thanks all. We will be taking action soon as the guy has had enough chances. Anyway, at least you know if you end up heading that way in the near future. Cheers!

Did you bankrupt him, with your demand for a £20,000 fee?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, UglyDog said:

If there's no written arrangement, there's no proof. Verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

Not true. Harder to evidence, but a verbal contract is very much binding and just as enforceable in court. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phil.c60 said:

Facebook 23 mins ago:

"So, ladies and gentlemen. It is with huge regret that we are now officially able to announce that The Pier Hotel is no longer.

After huge amounts of structural damage sustained over the winter and dwindling customer numbers, we are no long able to sustain the venue.

I, personally, would like to take this opportunity to thank every single person, every single band and every single act that made the venue what it was over the past 2 and a half years. We took a huge gamble with the place and despite our best efforts, it could not continue.

Thank you all dearly and fingers crossed in the near future, we may have something more for you to look forward to. For now though, Live Music is not dead, its just in hiding!!!! "

Another one bites the dust.

I'll have to write that one off to experience then. Oh well.

13 hours ago, julesb said:

I'll have to write that one off to experience then. Oh well.

I wouldn't give up just yet... "no longer" doesn't necessarily mean there's no money about. (In fact could be trying to get a message out to everyone he's screwed going for the sympathy vote...) At worst you'd be a creditor in a bankruptcy (which may or may not be worth pursuing). The tosser still stole money from you and your band whatever his own circumstances are. You did the job... he failed to pay you.

5 hours ago, anzoid said:

I wouldn't give up just yet... "no longer" doesn't necessarily mean there's no money about. (In fact could be trying to get a message out to everyone he's screwed going for the sympathy vote...) At worst you'd be a creditor in a bankruptcy (which may or may not be worth pursuing). The tosser still stole money from you and your band whatever his own circumstances are. You did the job... he failed to pay you.

Good point.

Guest subaudio

Another plus for being in the MU is they do a standard gig contract, they'll send you as many as you need free.

You also get free public liability insurance and £1000 free instrument insurance less a £200 excess.

Hope you get sorted mate.

On 22/03/2019 at 15:56, UglyDog said:

Not true a contract is a contract, however it is more difficult to prove that a contract exists if it is not written down.