Why become a member? ×

Help save my back.......new amp options help needed

donslow

I’m with @Muppet with the amp modeller/preamp IEM route but if that’s too big a change (although by far the best weight wise) you could get yourself an amp modeller/preamp + FRFR cab set up so you do still have a cab on stage. This is my entire set up now and my back thanks me...

74DB1F84-5D25-431F-A5E6-A23AC48CFDBA.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I’m with @Muppet with the amp modeller/preamp IEM route but if that’s too big a change (although by far the best weight wise) you could get yourself an amp modeller/preamp + FRFR cab set up so you do still have a cab on stage. His is my entire set up now and my back thanks me...

'Tis the way to go! I'm down to about 25kg, and 10kg of that is a massive rack that realistically I don't need.

OP just needs a HX Stomp and whatever PA cab is the right size/weight/volume compromise. The Helix even has a few very good Ampeg models.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

If you're after small and portable, but with valves, and you're not overly keen on the Orange, would an Ashdown CTM-30 or Little Stubby be up to task? I think it's fair to say that their dirty tone is a bit less divisive; this might be down to them being all-valve rather than hybrids. They're in a similar ballpark to the Ampeg Portaflex series; I know you had some reservations about those being powerful enough, but I can safely say that a CTM-30 into an efficient cab (namely a Berg CN212, as suggested by Lozz) will go a lot louder than you'd think a 30-watter should!

(It does also have a post-preamp DI socket, if you're gigging with PA support!)

Lots of good advice...totally agree with the amp modeller option - a variety of tones in a little box.

I don't think I've seen any nominations for the Ashdown Superfly - lightweight, 1000w and programmable. I have one but TBH I haven't used it since having it serviced at Ashdown (thanks fellas!!). Some might consider it a bit dated now but I was very impressed with it. It was well regarded in it's time.

I would keep the amp and get a lighter 4x10 cab. If you love the sound that you have already I would be hesitant of changing the amp just for a bit of weight. From experience though, lugging an old school 6x10 around by yourself is really difficult (in my case a Mesa 6x10). Lugging around a hefty 25kg  valve amp is easy in comparison! If you got a modern lighter cab like a Barefaced or Bergantino, you could still get your current sound but in a more portable set up. 

You could perhaps consider something like a Tech 21 VT500. A lightweight 'Ampeg in a box' type design. No valves, but would definitely deliver a bit of grit. But when you actually own the amp that the Tech 21 is trying to emulate, then I would definitely want to try before you buy. If you have the cash, then the new Mesa WD-800 looks like a serious piece of kit as well. 

There are so many incredible lightweight bass amps available these days (none of which I own), that it is really quite difficult to go wrong. 

4 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I’m with @Muppet with the amp modeller/preamp IEM route but if that’s too big a change (although by far the best weight wise) you could get yourself an amp modeller/preamp + FRFR cab set up so you do still have a cab on stage. This is my entire set up now and my back thanks me...

Still good to see that you seem to be still pleased with the decision! Yay!

Loving my Quilter bassblock and Ampeg pf cabs .The cabs 60% lighter than my old ones and the amp fits in my leads bag 

Still sussing different tones but its just stage sound as my front sound is via a tonebone and a top quality rig .

Whatever you choose MAKE SURE you save your back if its telling you to.

I didn't (work not bass related) and my back went, and it was literally 4 years of not being able to properly move, bend or walk for longer than 10 minutes. The irony is is that the damage had been done, but I didn't know, then one day I lifted a light box and BANG the back went.

Oh and you become really grumpy if you have a bad back - it just seems to affect all your body.

I've gone the following:

Quilter 800 - awesome and 2kg.

Trace Elf - even smaller and lighter - great.

Line 6 helix.

Laney nexus cabs - 23kg for a 4x10. 19kg for a 2x10.

And now, an active bass, as well as a passive precision v4, giving me all the tone I need.

I could take any combination of those to a gig - even just the active bass and elf and 2x10 and be very happy with the tone.

And when i get home, I'm still full of life, not bent over in pain.

• Like 4

On 22/03/2019 at 10:56, chris_b said:

This. . . .

You've just got to let go of the past.

Starting to agree with this more and more....

On 22/03/2019 at 14:26, EliasMooseblaster said:

If you're after small and portable, but with valves, and you're not overly keen on the Orange

Didn't mean i wasnt keen on the orange as i love their guitar amps but i dont know enough or have never used/heard many of their bass amps to really know so was after opinions and experiences, have heard many mixed things re the bt heads and good things re the ob heads but as i say, i dont really know anything about them or if theyd get close to a sound i like

Cab wise, i figure it depends from head to head but generally if it were a choice of having 2 210’s or 1 210 & a 115 what woukd be the better option sound wise?!

So far, suggestions from you lovely lot are mostly, unless ive missed something....

keep it and change cabs

go amp modeller route although not keen on this myself im not ruling it out

Tech 21 VT500

Ampeg SVT 7 Pro

Ashdowm ABM600

Any orange suggestions?! 

Any other suggestions?!

So much good advice and suggestions my head is starting to spin a bit but thank you all so far, keep it coming

Going from ampeg to orange takes a lot of adjusting for sound imo . I had a svt cl and went to a orange ad200 ( same eq as terror) and absolutely hated the way the eq worked, no matter what I did it was very muddy in comparison.

Edited by danbowskill

On 21/03/2019 at 16:31, donslow said:

Ifi can put this into words i wonder if it might help....

i like my bass tone to sound like a bass, deep, bassy but clear and clean as a whistle, not a massive fan of loads of mid in my tone, just, nice a deep but still clear,  bit of dirt if need be, i can get crunch/dirt/overdrive etc from pedals (ehx soul food for example) but looking to start with a clean bassy platform with all the tubey warmth of a cup-a-soup in winter

If a completely new rig is the answer, what would get me here that would be more manageable than my current setup?!

Budget would be whatever i can get get for the SVT II Pro and 610 cab (when i manage to work out what their really worth in todays market, any suggestions or guidance greatly appreciated)