Why become a member? ×

Help save my back.......new amp options help needed

donslow

So the time has come to sell my current bass rig in favour of getting a more portable and back saving setup!

problem being, im pretty clueless as to whats out there thats worth looking at and need some help in deciding where to start looking

brief run down for you all

current setup - Ampeg SVT Pro II + Ampeg SVT610HLF Classic series cabinet

mostly (but not exclusively) playing - blues, blues rock, soul, 

basses - precision bass with quarter pounders and will be probably looking to add a jack casady to my collection in the near future

pros for keeping it

Its THE sound i had been searching for and wouldnt change a thing sound wise, whether its the “Ampeg Tone” or whether its just the noise it makes, im unsure, what i do know is, i absolutely love it

the fact it can get real dirty if im feeling that way inclined

it looks awsome on stage

master volume, i can still warm the tubes up and play at reasonable levels if the occasion calls but i do have the Ampeg SVT micro stack as a backup if all else fails but do find it lacks the valvey warmth

DI for recording

Pros for getting rid of it

Its heavy, REALLY heavy and I'm not sure how much more lugging it about my back can take

although not on a regular basis, costs a small fortune to service and revalve when the occasion calls

so whats out there that can give me THAT tone?!

I have heard a lot of noise made about the Ampeg PF T series heads with smaller cabs but am concerned about how loud they get which seems like it could be a way to go but i’ve also heard good things about the orange ob heads too

any help or pointers will be massively appreciated as i feel hugely lost in such a wide range of choices

Edited by donslow

Ashdown ABM600 will get pretty much there on the sound. Pair it with cabs such as the Bergantino CN212 or a pair of Barefaced 210s for a lighter rig that will cope with all but the largest of stages.

But do accept that the sound will change - you can get close with lighter gear but there is a difference - Ashdown and Ampeg are my faves for the depth of sound you get, that feel of the sound you get as well as hearing it. 

Also depends on the size of stages - in smaller venues not so much but on a bigger stage it will be more apparent that you’re no longer playing a valve amp/610 rig.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Ashdown ABM600 will get pretty much there on the sound. Pair it with cabs such as the Bergantino CN212 or a pair of Barefaced 210s for a lighter rig that will cope with all but the largest of stages.

But do accept that the sound will change - you can get close with lighter gear but there is a difference - Ashdown and Ampeg are my faves for the depth of sound you get, that feel of the sound you get as well as hearing it. 

Also depends on the size of stages - in smaller venues not so much but on a bigger stage it will be more apparent that you’re no longer playing a valve amp/610 rig.

Never considered ashdown tobe honest, not since more than a few bad experiences with their MAG amps when i was just starting out as a bass player but will certainly look into the ABM series

Barefaced Compact plus a Midget and an Orange TB500. The older Orange have a 4ohm 8ohm switch and so you can use one or both of the cabs at full power (not that you would need it all I would have thought). Huge sounding rig that can be broken down to make a smaller rig if needs be. Real lightweight and compact rig.

Or, a BF FR800 (or pair) with a preamp of your choice. Plenty Ampeg and clones available. Another monstrous setup with very little weight. 

Something about those big old rigs but times move on for all of us ,age ,health issues ,some great lightweight stuff out there just gotta see what's right for you and your sound your looking for really try a few out if you can 👍

1 hour ago, donslow said:

So the time has come to sell my current bass rig in favour of getting a more portable and back saving setup!

so whats out there that can give me THAT tone?!

That tone? Nothing. A different, great bass tone. . . .  lots of stuff.

With the gear you list, if you have a bad back your only solution is to hire roadies. Other than that there are no PRO's for keeping heavy gear.

My solution to a permanent lower back injury (because I delayed selling very heavy bass gear, that sounded too good to sell) has been to move to 6lb amps, several 23lb cabs and an 8 1/2 lb bass. It doesn't matter what your current gear sounds like. Find good sounding gear that you can carry and learn to love that sound.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, giving me plenty to mull over

the orange tb heads ive also looked at, but have heard many mixed reviews about them and have heard they are loud and then louder but are only clean sounding to a point after which the dirt as a bit marmite....

if i can put this into words i wonder if it might help....

i like my bass tone to sound like a bass, deep, bassy but clear and clean as a whistle, not a massive fan of loads of mid in my tone, just, nice a deep but still clear, dirt of grit i guess, if need be, i can get from pedals (ehx soul food for example) but looking to start with a clean bassy platform with all the tubey warmth of a cup-a-soup in winter

if also read quite a bit, with mixed feelings about class d amps, why do they get so many mixed feelings and are they to be avoided

57 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Helix and a quality IEM setup (to play Devil's Advocate)

Excuse my ignorance @Muppet but ive no idea what this is......

Edited by donslow

Bar all the past reliability issues of the previous models( apparently all great now).....the Ampeg 7 pro is supposed to get as close as to SVT 2 as can be .

Thoman have them at a fantastic price atm.

There is a lengthy thread here https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ampeg-svt-7-pro-club.901448/

Thinking of trying myself

Sorry. I meant that for a true lightweight setup you could switch to using a Line6 Helix as an amp modeller, (or any other preamp  pedal to be fair) send your signal to the PA from it and hear yourself back through in ear monitors.  It's not for everyone as some people just have to have the traditional bass amp back line. To some it's a heinous crime but gigging without an amp is so achievable nowadays and not limited to large venues or complex PA setups. There are thread some in the effects section on the Helix and IEM discussions are in the accessories section.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donslow said:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, giving me plenty to mull over

the orange tb heads ive also looked at, but have heard many mixed reviews about them and have heard they are loud and then louder but are only clean sounding to a point after which the dirt as a bit marmite....

if i can put this into words i wonder if it might help....

i like my bass tone to sound like a bass, deep, bassy but clear and clean as a whistle, not a massive fan of loads of mid in my tone, just, nice a deep but still clear, dirt of grit i guess, if need be, i can get from pedals (ehx soul food for example) but looking to start with a clean bassy platform with all the tubey warmth of a cup-a-soup in winter

if also read quite a bit, with mixed feelings about class d amps, why do they get so many mixed feelings and are they to be avoided

Excuse my ignorance @Muppet but ive no idea what this is......

I think you're talking about an Ashdown ABM600 here. It'll do exactly that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mudpup said:

I think you're talking about an Ashdown ABM600 here. It'll do exactly that.

another for the Ashdown... this could well be worth looking at....

4 hours ago, danbowskill said:

Bar all the past reliability issues of the previous models( apparently all great now).....the Ampeg 7 pro is supposed to get as close as to SVT 2 as can be .

Thoman have them at a fantastic price atm.

There is a lengthy thread here https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ampeg-svt-7-pro-club.901448/

Thinking of trying myself

I had considered these heads too, again, something else to look into

4 hours ago, Muppet said:

Sorry. I meant that for a true lightweight setup you could switch to using a Line6 Helix as an amp modeller, (or any other preamp  pedal to be fair) send your signal to the PA from it and hear yourself back through in ear monitors.  It's not for everyone as some people just have to have the traditional bass amp back line. To some it's a heinous crime but gigging without an amp is so achievable nowadays and not limited to large venues or complex PA setups. There are thread some in the effects section on the Helix and IEM discussions are in the accessories section.

sounds like a good idea but I'm with the heinous lot here, not sure I could do it, coupled with the fact I've never found any monitors that stay put in my ears ha ha

thanks for all the suggestions so far, couple of things well worth looking into now, please, do keep the suggestions coming.....

cab wise, I'm thinking, although could well be WAY off here, a 2x10 and 1x15, would this be a way to go or would it really depend on which head I end up getting?!

No love for the Orange heads at all?

Could the Ampeg SVP be worth looking at also?! I'm assuming due to lack of mentioning, the PF T heads would leave me wanting more?!

3 hours ago, afterimage said:

But definitely it's time to go lightweight you can't keep hauling a rig like that around all the time 

you're telling me! I'm not necessarily after neo this and featherweight that, just something a little more..........manageable......but still with great tone

Time to ask some of us very nice people on here if you can pop around and try out their rigs ,if your every passing through Nantwich in Cheshire you'd be more than welcome to try out my Glockenklang space art cab which sounds great with any amp 👍

• Like 1

Tech 21 VT Bass 500 head and a neodymium speaker loaded 2x10 or 2x 2x10?

Fender Rumble 500 & matching cab?

Employ a roadie.

Helix or other amp modeller (though you still have to think about some other way of hearing yourself playing, either an FRFR/Active PA Speaker or a lightweight combo).

I'm currently using a HD500x (predecessor to the Helix) with an Ashdown ABM300 Evo III combo, and plug the HD into the Effects Return of the amp to bypass the preamp. Amp modelling and monitoring on the cheap! ;) :D 

Edited by Skybone

10 hours ago, donslow said:

thanks for all the suggestions so far, couple of things well worth looking into now, please, do keep the suggestions coming.....

cab wise, I'm thinking, although could well be WAY off here, a 2x10 and 1x15, would this be a way to go or would it really depend on which head I end up getting?!

No love for the Orange heads at all?

Could the Ampeg SVP be worth looking at also?! I'm assuming due to lack of mentioning, the PF T heads would leave me wanting more?!

Cab wise I used a couple of Barefaced Big Babys with my Ashdown ABM600 and had great results so i would probably look at grabbing something from Barefaced used off the classifieds here. There's frequently Super Twins, Compacts etc kicking around. Trouser shaking stuff and easy to lug about. Or a light 2x12 4ohm neo cab from another manufacturer - Depends on the budget really....

How about a pair of barefaced 210s and a Mesa d800 

I've got a svt cl that I love but I rarely take out cos it's so bloody heavy , no class D will sound the same but I find the Mesa D has a wide open clarity that has a similarity to a valve head

Or a Walkabout if you want a grittier old school midrange?

Ashdown ABM600 or RM500/800 should the ABM still be too heavy.

Cab wise - loads of choices. I use Barefaced but Ashdown have a lightweight range with the RM cabs, then there’s Vanderkley, Bergantino, Markbass, etc etc

You’re spoilt for choice really!