Why become a member? ×

SOLD Scott Devine Signature Series Overwater 4 String Jazz. Bass 2015 Mint Condition Price Drop £1000
£1200
West Midlands DY5

Flea59

Wonderful Overwater handmade Jazz Bass. It is the signature Scott Devine model. I guess you know Scott's education work but if not there are loads of his videos on Youtube.

Recently purchased from Jon, Wilco 10,  on this website but, as you can probably tell by my sign in I’m a massive fan of Flea of RHCP and have been lucky to acquire a Flea Modulous Bass so unfortunately the wife’s rules of only one bass at a time apply hence a very very reluctant sale of this wonderful bass.

I have used the bulk of Johns original pictures and text in the following ad

So the bass is pretty unique. Scott wanted a Jazz that he could play really fast when required. That mean't a 33" scale and a 16.5mm string spacing. 

Scott has fairly large hands, I have pretty short fingers and have used full scale 34" basses and shorter 30" and 32" scales. The full scale ones are fine, but sometimes a stretch, the short scale ones are easier to play but don't feel quit right to me. This 33" combined with the narrower string spacing is perfect. Indeed it is the string spacing more than the scale that makes all the difference.

In case don't know Overwater they were established in 1979 in Denmark Street by Chris May who is still at the helm. They became the go to builder for the theatre players in the west end due to the great electronics and wonderful build quality. Since then they have grown to supply all genres of players. More can be found at the website http://overwaterbasses.com.

The guitar is an absolute pleasure to play, currently set up fairly low. 

The electronics are the classic twin jazz pickups with a phantom 2nd winding to cancel noise. With a John East designed flat response buffer pre-amp to purely replace any signal lost via the guitar lead to the amp input. Swamp Ash body, Marple neck. Single bridge pieces and Hipshot ultra light turners. It is also lovely looking with a satin natural finish with black hardware.

This guitar is from 2015 and is in new condition. Used for home practice only never gigged. I can't see a single blemish apart from the usual swirls on the scratchplate. The case is superb quality and has a single small ding in it.

It comes complete with an Overwater hard case, an almost new set of flatwound Chromes plus a set of roundwounds in the case. All original paperwork including certificate, and set up Allen keys.

Chris and his team still hand build this Jazz and the current prices are -

Jazz Bass             £2,400

Overwater case       £120 

Strings                       £55

Total                      £2,575

Delivery.

This is obviously a top end guitar and I would rather not rely on post. You are welcome to collect from DY5 West Midlands or at a push I could post if you wish to send your own courier in for collection 

Thanks for looking, full specs below.

Specs

Neck: 1 Piece Maple

Scale length: 33”

Body: Medium weight Swamp Ash

Finish: Natural Satin

Head Veneer/Finish: Natural Satin

Fretboard: Maple

Frets: 20 - Medium

Position Markers: 6mm dots + 2mm side dots

Machines: Hipshot Ultralite - Black

Bridge: OW Single bridge pieces - Black