Why become a member? ×

Whatever Happened to Compressors?

Stub Mandrel

I recall that back in the old days (80s/90s) every bass player had a compressor pedal. They seem to have gone right out  of fashion?

I can't remember what happened to mine (I may have swapped it as my head has a basic compressor built in).

Am I imagining this?

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hadn't spotted those - something to read!

I was going on having looked for them in several music shops over the last few months and having seen very few.

Can't believe that you're basing your views on real life and not BC threads! Whatever next? 😂

I'd say maybe 30% to 40% of BCers regularly use compressor pedals when gigging. But probably half of that in the non BC bass playing  community. Not scientific, just a gut feel observation. 

A lot of bass players don't use any pedals at all when playing live. 

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Can't believe that you're basing your views on real life and not BC threads! Whatever next? 😂

I'd say maybe 30% to 40% of BCers regularly use compressor pedals when gigging. But probably half of that in the non BC bass playing  community. Not scientific, just a gut feel observation. 

A lot of bass players don't use any pedals at all when playing live. 

I always used to have a few pedals used sparingly -  Ibanez chorus and a HM2 as I used to play the/a solo in Like a Hurricane (!!!!) and a GE-7B for quick changes of sound.

Was never really compression did much except making up for my poor fretless technique!

Guitar is different - use as many as possible, all dimed and switched on at the same time for maximum 'Space Ritual' effect 🙂

Following some extensive research among the 101st chairborne bass playing division - if you don' wanna get into rack units - the Boss LMB-3 is the best.

I've just bought one (not delivered yet) - so I know all about it, see. 👍

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Following some extensive research among the 101st chairborne bass playing division - if you don' wanna get into rack units - the Boss LMB-3 is the best.

I've just bought one (not delivered yet) - so I know all about it, see. 👍

A great pedal, no doubt. Having said that this very forum proves that if you ask 10 bassists what the 'best' compressor is you'll get 47 different answers.

• Haha 3