Why become a member? ×

Smith Pickups

Owen

Thanks to this video

I fancy a Ken Smith. At £5K from BD that is not going to happen anytime soon (as in at all before I die). Obviously there are all sorts of neck through stuff going on and build quality yadda yadda yadda. However, I have a bass I would happily plumb a couple of Smith Humbuckers into just for the craic. Do such a thing exist for bass bodgers like me to buy aftermarket or does anyone sell/wind Smith-alikes? I have found this but no prices http://www.kensmithbasses.com/parts-accessories/soapbar-pickups/

TIA

I have a Korean MTD which cost me £180 2nd hand many years ago. It has my favourite neck, is super light and just resonates in a way I REALLY like. However, the pickups are......lacking. So plumbing something Smithesque in would be fun. 

Just now, owen said:

I have a Korean MTD which cost me £180 2nd hand many years ago. It has my favourite neck, is super light and just resonates in a way I REALLY like. However, the pickups are......lacking. So plumbing something Smithesque in would be fun. 

Definitely, I’d be interested to know how it sounds, great project 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this. Very interesting, but I cannot work out if they are €300 all in or €300 for the pre and €300 for the pickups. However, the recipient bass is already routed for 2 MM humbuckers and I have found someone who will do me smith-esque pickups in shells to fit my bass. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, owen said:

Thanks for this. Very interesting, but I cannot work out if they are €300 all in or €300 for the pre and €300 for the pickups. However, the recipient bass is already routed for 2 MM humbuckers and I have found someone who will do me smith-esque pickups in shells to fit my bass. 

Think it’s 300 each. Yeah Armstrong makes them so should be easy to copy. 

46 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

we just need to convince @ped to come to the Midlands bass bash - that way you can try his Smith, I can compare his SB-1 to my L1000 and he can... erm enjoy trying that Felix preamp of yours? 

Something tells me I’ll be returning from said bash with one empty gig bag and a new ‘acoustic’ bass 🤔😂

36 minutes ago, ped said:

Yeah I’m going to try and make it!!

I was going to offer to meet you in my company carpark in Rothwell on the M1 and give you a lift ... but then my wife wanted her and the little one dropped of at her parents enroute so the cars full. 

Anyway! :) You'll get to try the L1000 

NOW back on topic

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I was going to offer to meet you in my company carpark in Rothwell on the M1 and give you a lift ... but then my wife wanted her and the little one dropped of at her parents enroute so the cars full. 

Anyway! :) You'll get to try the L1000 

NOW back on topic

Thanks very kind of you to think of me. I’ve got a family thing in the way but it could possibly happen on Sunday, just have to wait and see! I’m going to arrange a York bash though at some point. 

• Like 1