Why become a member? ×

Rory Gallagher And Gerry McAvoy

Hobbayne

I gather Davy cut his teeth on RG and was happy to front a few gigs as he was playing with the original line up; I think its a part time thing for them; Davy still doing Davy Knowles..... !!

""Also, we are happy to announce that Gerry and Ted will hook up with Davy Knowles for some shows. Gerry met Davy, a fan of Rory's music and a great guitarist, a long time back while gigging on The Isle of Man, Davy's birth place".

Big fan of the G man back in the day...still am but don't play his stuff much.....this has prompted me to get his albums out again.

My first ever proper gig I went to was at the age of 14/15 was to see Rory at Birmingham Town Hall around 1972. I hadn't a clue who he was but my sister and her school mates were going and there was spare ticket. The support was Greenslade (remember them?) who were not my cup of tea, but even tho I hardly knew any of the songs, Rory blew me away with his passion and energy and of course his playing. He was on for ages, seemed like 3 hours and at the end, the stage manager kept coming out to get him to stop playing and Rory would play another song - talk about delivering value for money. I've seen him twice since, once at De Montfort hall in Leicester and the last time at the Hammersmith Odeon in about 1978. As always he played a blinding set and by this time I knew all the songs and all the words...a truly memorable experience.

I've not read Gerry's book....I would imagine that Rory was hard work in the latter years when the alcohol abuse was ramping up. Some of the recordings I've listened to of gigs he did at Rockpalast, you can hear in his voice that he's out of his head....such a shame. I was so gutted when I heard he'd died, what a modest, unassuming and talented guitarist and songwriter he was. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ricksterphil said:

Big fan of the G man back in the day...still am but don't play his stuff much.....this has prompted me to get his albums out again.

My first ever proper gig I went to was at the age of 14/15 was to see Rory at Birmingham Town Hall around 1972. I hadn't a clue who he was but my sister and her school mates were going and there was spare ticket. The support was Greenslade (remember them?) who were not my cup of tea, but even tho I hardly knew any of the songs, Rory blew me away with his passion and energy and of course his playing. He was on for ages, seemed like 3 hours and at the end, the stage manager kept coming out to get him to stop playing and Rory would play another song - talk about delivering value for money. I've seen him twice since, once at De Montfort hall in Leicester and the last time at the Hammersmith Odeon in about 1978. As always he played a blinding set and by this time I knew all the songs and all the words...a truly memorable experience.

I've not read Gerry's book....I would imagine that Rory was hard work in the latter years when the alcohol abuse was ramping up. Some of the recordings I've listened to of gigs he did at Rockpalast, you can hear in his voice that he's out of his head....such a shame. I was so gutted when I heard he'd died, what a modest, unassuming and talented guitarist and songwriter he was. 

I total agree. I was gutted to hear of his passing. At the time, I had no idea of his problems with the booze. Tragic really.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2019 at 09:27, casapete said:

I convinced my mum that I could go and see Rory on the night before my maths 'O' level exam as I'd done enough revision. Got an 'unclassified' mark for it!

Looking at the video, what amps are they using? That little speakered combo behind Rory is the first time I've seen him not using a Vox AC or Marshall combo. Doesn't sound as good as I remember him either. Maybe it's some obscure German backline provided for them, along with the groovy red mikes?😕

GM was using Stramp amplifiers at the time. A German make I believe. Rory's amp looks as though it may also be a Stramp.

Seemingly our Ange has a thing for curly hair!

• Like 1

On 23/03/2019 at 11:40, acidbass said:

Much too basic and rudimentary to be interesting. 8th note pentanonics with the odd blue note WOW! Zero melody or structure really. Also he fluffs his fingering which fails to sound the odd note properly, I think he is possibly drunk. Much prefer his Bullfrog Blues solo.

It wasn't that bad. I get the impression that it was thrown together at the last minute.

Maybe he didnt have time to work it it out properly in time for the show.

You can see the relief on his face when it was over, though.  😂

48 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

It wasn't that bad. I get the impression that it was thrown together at the last minute.

Maybe he didnt have time to work it it out properly in time for the show.

You can see the relief on his face when it was over, though.  😂

Much like Fred Durst bombing the worst guitar 'solo' ever. This makes Gerry Mc's sound like Stravinsky!

Fred Durst solo.

Edited by NikNik