Why become a member? ×

Rory Gallagher And Gerry McAvoy

Hobbayne

14 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

When was that recorded? 1970 or something?

I wouldn't have thought Rory's guitar could have been old enough to be so relicy!

1972 I believe it was.

Rory's sweat was acidic. It ate away the finish IIRC

I like the playing.

That chromakey filming, though, is dreadful. When the whole stage is visible, it looks like they're on the deck of a trawler in heavy seas, and when Rory's amp is in shot, it looks like it's wandering off somewhere. Add to that the lurching in for close-ups every now and again, and that is a video that should be heard and not seen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

I like the playing.

That chromakey filming, though, is dreadful. When the whole stage is visible, it looks like they're on the deck of a trawler in heavy seas, and when Rory's amp is in shot, it looks like it's wandering off somewhere. Add to that the lurching in for close-ups every now and again, and that is a video that should be heard and not seen.

Chromakey was a big thing back then. It's still around but now just called 'Key'.

Shocking filming. You'd get your jotters for that today!

Rory's version of Bullfrog Blues was one of the first songs I played in a band as a kid.

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

I like the playing.

Keying aside, I don't think there's much wrong with it. It's lit well lit, the director is making good choices from (presumably) a limited amount of shots, keeping it exciting and relevant, and the audio is well produced. IMO many things the modern equivalents lack all too often.

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

I recommend ‘Riding Shotgun’ by Gerry McEvoy. It’s a well written, good read and an insight into working with Rory.

That's good to know - I've wondered about it  but had read some less than complimentary comments about it, including some from Rory's brother Donal  who called it Riding Roughshod! I think there's an updated version that I might just be tempted to get

Anyway ,Rory & Gerry along with the late Ted McKenna, were in my opinion ,  totally awesome.

8 minutes ago, Donnyboy said:

That's good to know - I've wondered about it  but had read some less than complimentary comments about it, including some from Rory's brother Donal  who called it Riding Roughshod! I think there's an updated version that I might just be tempted to get

Anyway ,Rory & Gerry along with the late Ted McKenna, were in my opinion ,  totally awesome.

I can see why Donal would say that, but it's not from his POV. 

I saw Rory with GMc (can't remember who was on drums) at the Hammersmith Odeon back in the 70s. Amazing energy, but the worst PA sound ever, the frequencies were nausea inducing. Still, I can say that I saw him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

I recommend ‘Riding Shotgun’ by Gerry McEvoy. It’s a well written, good read and an insight into working with Rory.

Hard to get hold of! Gerry seemed a bit up himself IIRC but guess he felt his side of the story needed to be told. Has a definitive book on Rory ever been written?

Edited by Mickeyboro

I convinced my mum that I could go and see Rory on the night before my maths 'O' level exam as I'd done enough revision. Got an 'unclassified' mark for it!

Looking at the video, what amps are they using? That little speakered combo behind Rory is the first time I've seen him not using a Vox AC or Marshall combo. Doesn't sound as good as I remember him either. Maybe it's some obscure German backline provided for them, along with the groovy red mikes?😕

Rory was a genius, and I think GM was a good match for him. Seeing as he was there for most of his career, guess we'll never really know otherwise.

I've read Gerry's book (albeit about 7 or 8 years ago) - it's an interesting read, although I'm not sure if I would have joined his fan club by the end. Donal has been very vocal about it, suggesting that some of it is the work of fiction, and how he feels they abandoned Rory in his darker days when he, for a change, needed them.

Guess we can all read the story and interpret it differently. Hard to know without living it.....but I felt for Rory during the latter part of the book, for sure. I think some musicians forget they are sidemen, and without the real talent, they'd be nowhere.

It was a massive surprise - especially after the book - when Gerry started the Band Of Friends. I've never seen them, and TBH, don't fancy it. Their first guy was a lookalike.....isn't that tribute band territory?

One thing always sadly sticks in my mind - that he had an 'encounter' with Anita Dobson, before she was Mrs. May! Wish I really could forget that fact every time I see her on the TV!

15 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

Really? What did you think was wrong with it?

Much too basic and rudimentary to be interesting. 8th note pentanonics with the odd blue note WOW! Zero melody or structure really. Also he fluffs his fingering which fails to sound the odd note properly, I think he is possibly drunk. Much prefer his Bullfrog Blues solo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveNorman said:

Band of Friends are quire good really..., the front man is Davy Knowles (Back Door Slam) from the Isle of Man (now based USA)… 

I would have thought Davy too good for a tribute band. But good luck to him...