Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Hughes & Kettner BK200 Bass Combo
£245
South-East London

discreet

*SOLD* Hughes & Kettner BK200 Bass Combo

Massive price drop *£175* NOW *£125* 

From H&K's BassKick series. This particular example is in near-mint condition and has seen very little use. The pics show how clean it is. The 15" Eminence driver hasn't even been played-in yet. The input stage features H&K's 'Tube Touch' circuit and also their 'Dyna Clip' power stage, which emulates the warmth of a valve amp. Most manufacturer's attempts to do this involve fitting a 12AX7 valve at the input stage - which achieves little except to create a marketing opportunity - but in this case the technology does indeed result in some harmonically-rich and articulate tones.

The EQ is wired parallel, which is quite unusual. This has the effect of separating the frequencies somewhat and results in a much cleaner, more lucid sound. The 'Punch' button is in essence a very mild mid-scoop, but it doesn't result in loss of audibility in the mix like some 'contour' -type buttons, and is actually very useful. There is also a really sweet-sounding Leson HF horn (switchable) which adds air and a nice glassy presence, but is never harsh or strident. The single-knob compressor is a real beauty - you can dial in a tight, controlled bottom end and smooth, even levels across the strings without any squashy artefacts or pumping. It sounds natural and very transparent. The controls have a nice weight to them, are positive in use and the Compressor and Master controls are reassuringly large, with a pleasing retro look.

The combo is built to a very high standard (made in Germany) and would easily handle a punishing tour... or twenty tours, come to that. You get a full 200W into 4ohms, but this doesn't mean you can't add an extension cab (or cabs) as another unusual feature is how the amp deals with impedance - with a regular 500W amp you'd get around 300W at 8ohms, add another 8ohm cab and you'll get 500W at 4ohms. But with this amp the impedance is additive - so if you plug in an 8ohm cab the amp runs at 12ohms, if you add a 4ohm cab it will run at 8ohms. Brilliant if you think about it, as this feature protects the amp - it will never run at an impedance lower than it can comfortably handle, yet you get all the power of the amp into the 4ohm driver when it's used as a stand-alone combo. Very clever.

It may be 'only' 200 watts, but it go loud and provides great heft and authority without distortion. Easily keeps up with drums and guitars and is very suitable for use in small to medium rooms - and rooms of any size with PA support. Will do pub gigs with ease.  So get in and get yourself a high-quality, great sounding combo at a bargain price. Cash on collection only please. I'm in SE London close to the A205 South Circular. Will consider delivery for fuel costs if you're within striking distance.

• 200 Watts RMS
  • 15" Custom Eminence Driver USA
  • Tube Touch & Dyna Clip Circuits
  • Leson HF Horn (Switchable)
  • 4-Band Parallel EQ
  • Variable Compressor
  • Additive Impedance Cab System
  • Dimensions: 552 X 604 X 385mm
  • Weight: 24kg
  • Made in Germany

My feedback is here. I'm open to (sensible) offers. Not looking for trades.

BACK-LEFT.jpg

BACK-RIGHT.jpg

CENTRE.jpg

CORNER.jpg

CORNER2.jpg

FRONT.jpg

PANEL-CANDY.jpg

TOP-LEFT.jpg

TOP-RIGHT.jpg

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

I had an offline chat with @discreetabout this yesterday as I was seriously thinking of buying it..

To cut the long story short, I've decided I need to move some gear on rather than buy any more at this point in time, but what really impressed me about this combo came in the form of this great YouTube demo by our very own @Dood:

Well worth watching for anyone who's interested in picking up this combo.. 

GLWTS Mark. 

• Thanks 1