Why become a member? ×

Steve Hackett - Selling England tour.

spectoremg

On 30/03/2019 at 18:42, Oopsdabassist said:

Oooh I'd love Six of the Best cos I wuz there!!

On which subject...

Taking A Little Trip Back With Father Tiresias.

Being a serious Genesis fan in my youth (losing interest with the 3-piece pop group version, even though they named an album after me), after having followed this thread, I looked up SH with Nad Whatsit on YouTube, just so I could see what all the fuss was about. Not too much, from what I could see.

Anyway, while I was there, I saw various other Genesis items on the YouTube sidebar;  one of which was the live version of I Know What I Like from Bingley Hall. Now I actually did go to that show, so I thought that I'd check it out.  Thing is, someone I know swore blind that he'd seen me in the film of that gig.......yeh, right. 

SO I watched it......

...and there, at 45 seconds, as the crowd rises up when Phil Collins starts to sing, there's a young guy with glasses on who throws up his arms...

image.thumb.png.9bbffa84bf475bfb4f60bc458d4d3838.png

....and it's an 18 year-old Mangotango, (with both a hairline and a waistline, unlike now), and all of his life ahead of him....... hadn't seen that before last night and it made me want to weep for no known reason. Not for the Genesis track at all, I can assure you.

Edited by mangotango
  • Like 4

Just announced today... a “Seconds Out” album tour next year... here’s the press release.

25th November 2019: Off the back of his most successful solo tour yet, selling over 30 thousand tickets for his 2019 UK dates, Steve Hackett has announced that his 2020/21 World Tour will feature the whole of the 1977 Genesis live album Seconds Out in full, plus More!

Seconds Out was the hugely successful double album recorded on Genesis’ 1977 concert tour together with The Cinema Show, from their 1976 tour, and featured Steve Hackett on guitar alongside Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks and Phil Collins who had taken on the role of vocalist following the departure of Peter Gabriel. The tour included music from each of the six studio albums from Steve’s time in Genesis and marked his final recordings with the band as he left to pursue his solo career upon its completion.

The Seconds Out + More! Tour will visit some of the venues Genesis played on that 1977 tour. There will also be additional material, including Steve’s solo concert favourite The Steppes to celebrate the 40th birthday of his fourth solo album Defector.

Steve Hackett says: “I’m thrilled to bring Seconds Out back to life, featuring Genesis material at its most exciting and virtuosic, this time with all numbers played in full plus additional surprises!”

Full UK tour dates are as follows: 

please note - highlighted shows are same venues as 1977 tour

Sunday 1 November Brighton Dome

Monday 2 November Cardiff St David's Hall
Tuesday 3 November Stoke Victoria Hall
Thursday 5 November London The Palladium
Friday 6 November London The Palladium
Sunday 8 November Edinburgh Playhouse
Monday 9 November Dundee Caird Hall
Tuesday 10 November Carlisle The Sands Centre
Thursday12 November Newcastle O2 City Hall
Friday 14 November Scunthorpe The Baths Hall
Saturday 15 November Bradford St George's Concert Hall
Monday 16 November Southampton Mayflower Theatre
Tuesday 17 November Cambridge Corn Exchange
Wednesday 18 November Oxford New Theatre
Friday 20 November Guildford G Live
Saturday 21 November Bexhill-on-Sea De La Warr Pavilion
Monday 23 November Birmingham Symphony Hall
Wednesday 25 November Manchester O2 Apollo
Friday 27 November Leicester De Montfort Hall
Saturday 28 November Basingstoke Anvil
Monday 30 November Liverpool Philharmonic
Tuesday 1 December Glasgow Royal Concert Hall 

Tickets for the Seconds Out + More Tour go on sale at 10am on Friday 29th November from https://myticket.co.uk/ and venue box offices.

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The drummer is great, well, he did a drum solo last week which was hardly necessary, but other than that all was good. And the bass player is superb. I assume he will have the same.

I hope that’s the case. I watched some clips from earlier this tour and he wasn’t very Collins-y... bass-wise, as long as it’s not Nick Beggs I’ll be happy.

<FLAMEPROOF SUIT - ON>

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

I hope that’s the case. I watched some clips from earlier this tour and he wasn’t very Collins-y...

Maybe not but he is a good drummer.

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

bass-wise, as long as it’s not Nick Beggs I’ll be happy.

Well, I like Nick Beggs, but it isn't him, it is Jonas Reingold and he played pretty well spot on Genesis stuff, and his vocals were also very good.

9 hours ago, mangotango said:

On which subject...

Taking A Little Trip Back With Father Tiresias.

Being a serious Genesis fan in my youth (losing interest with the 3-piece pop group version, even though they named an album after me), after having followed this thread, I looked up SH with Nad Whatsit on YouTube, just so I could see what all the fuss was about. Not too much, from what I could see.

Anyway, while I was there, I saw various other Genesis items on the YouTube sidebar;  one of which was the live version of I Know What I Like from Bingley Hall. Now I actually did go to that show, so I thought that I'd check it out.  Thing is, someone I know swore blind that he'd seen me in the film of that gig.......yeh, right. 

SO I watched it......

...and there, at 45 seconds, as the crowd rises up when Phil Collins starts to sing, there's a young guy with glasses on who throws up his arms...

image.thumb.png.9bbffa84bf475bfb4f60bc458d4d3838.png

....and it's an 18 year-old Mangotango, (with both a hairline and a waistline, unlike now), and all of his life ahead of him....... hadn't seen that before last night and it made me want to weep for no known reason. Not for the Genesis track at all, I can assure you.

On a totally unrelated side note, how do you manage to embed a youtube video paused at the correct moment?  I've tried a number of times and it never works.

36 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Its a screenshot isn't it?

Yes.  Yes it is. And I cannot tell you how long it took Captain Clumsy here to tee up that shot.

Of course, "About 43 years" would be the comedy answer; but in all seriousness, I spent ages trying to get one that would show that young man in the best light possible, just before those Genesis blokes get in the way.:laugh1: I owe him that.

And even that screenshot still isn't it, but hey ho, life's too short....as this whole scenario proves.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2019 at 22:00, Woodinblack said:

Maybe not but he is a good drummer.

Well, I like Nick Beggs, but it isn't him, it is Jonas Reingold and he played pretty well spot on Genesis stuff, and his vocals were also very good.

Yeah, he's probably a great drummer, but on the clips I saw he didn't swing like Collins and (IME, obv) it's pretty essential for this set.

Reingold or Pomeroy.. both good for me!