Why become a member? ×

Steve Hackett - Selling England tour.

spectoremg

On 20 March 2019 at 21:45, wateroftyne said:

I can handle most of that apart from Nad Sylvan. He's completely dreadful.

I think the problem is that Steve is such a nice guy. He's been touring for years and probably regards Nad as one of the family and does not want to upset things.

In truth it would be infinitely better if Nad was replaced

6 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Why though? (singer playing bass that is)

Just watched a clip of them doing it.

Collins/Gabriel-alike: bass part
Rutherford-alike: Jangly 12-string
Hackett-alike: Lead part

In '77's shows, Genesis  had to sacrifice the jangly 12-string. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Just watched a clip of them doing it.

Collins/Gabriel-alike: bass part
Rutherford-alike: Jangly 12-string
Hackett-alike: Lead part

In '77's shows, Genesis  had to sacrifice the jangly 12-string. 

So they're a Genesis studio tribute rather than a Genesis live tribute. Kind of verifies what I've been told previously

17 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Will see anything with Beggs in anyway. 

Seems the music box are popular here. Maybe it is because I was never an 'old' genesis fan, I am a 'Rating everything from trick of the tail downwards' sort of guy, so they didn't move me at all. I must admit as a prog guy I have a bit of a problem in that most people I know who want to do prog just want to rehash genesis stuff (or yes). Sure I like them but that was 40-50 years ago and there has been a lot of decent stuff since then

My favourite studio Genesis is early Phil-era (from TOTT up to and including ATTWT), and I actually prefer the Seconds Out versions of the classics to the studio or live Gabriel versions.

However my problem with most modern Prog is I don't like it very much. For a start it tends to veer far too much towards the rock end of the spectrum for me (I love classic rock, but that & prog generally don't mix very well IMO), e.g. the dreadful Dream Theater. Unfortunately it may be 40 or 50 years ago but nothing has come close since IMO.  

I love Nick Beggs, but in Hackett's band he simply wasn't authentic enough for me, in note choice or sound. Would have loved to see Pomeroy in them.

15 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I love Nick Beggs, but in Hackett's band he simply wasn't authentic enough for me, in note choice or sound. Would have loved to see Pomeroy in them.

Agreed - Beggsy is great but Lee Pomeroy's playing was spot on in Hackett's band. Jonas Reingold is doing a pretty good job as well.

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

I've seen him a few times. Never seen TMB. And I wouldn't have to watch Nad. 😄

Yep, seen both several times as well. As a classic Genesis fan I'm sure you'll enjoy the show! As mentioned before it's great theatre, and a massive nostalgia fest. 

(regarding Steve Hackett, ditto the latter as well. unless he plays the "new stuff" ie after * insert preferred cut off date here * )

52 minutes ago, 4000 said:

However my problem with most modern Prog is I don't like it very much. For a start it tends to veer far too much towards the rock end of the spectrum for me (I love classic rock, but that & prog generally don't mix very well IMO), e.g. the dreadful Dream Theater. Unfortunately it may be 40 or 50 years ago but nothing has come close since IMO.

Aha, I reckon you're thinking of progressive metal. There's plenty of modern progressive music/rock that doesn't veer into metal territory. Off the top of my head there's Arena, Frost*, Riverside, Threshold, Steven Wilson just for starters. Youtube can be a goldmine. (there's also loads of really good prog metal out there too, but it doesn't sound like that's your thing.)

Naturally, 'good' is in the ear of the beholder and all this is just IMO etc, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who go "Riverside? bleucch!".

2 hours ago, toneknob said:

Yep, seen both several times as well. As a classic Genesis fan I'm sure you'll enjoy the show! As mentioned before it's great theatre, and a massive nostalgia fest. 

(regarding Steve Hackett, ditto the latter as well. unless he plays the "new stuff" ie after * insert preferred cut off date here * )

Agreed, TMB must be seen. 

My cut off with Steve is Guitar Noir. 

Ah ha, see...the track's called Watcher Of the Skies and Nad's got out his antique telescope to erm, look at the skies! Nice touch!  And then he starts signing....oops. And I thought Gabriel's and Collins' vocals in Genesis were hard enough to take. The blonde geezer the camera shot at 4.43 had the right idea. Yikes some people must be really tone deaf judging by some of the  👍 in the YT comments  🤔😕

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just listening to Steve's last gig with Genesis. 42 years ago this year!

Olympiahalle, Munich - 3/7/77

Squonk

One For The Vine

Robbery, Assault & Battery

Inside and Out

Firth of Fifth

The Carpet Crawlers

In That Quiet Earth

Afterglow

I Know What I Like

11th Earl of Mar

Supper's Ready

Dance on a Volcano

Los Endos

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

The Musical Box

I never did quite understand why they put The Cinema Show (from 1976) on Seconds Out when they had other tracks like One For The Vine that they could have used.

The Cinema Show's a lovely version and it does give a nod to Bill Bruford's time with them. 

Also at the time they crammed as many tracks as possible onto double vinyl (which rendered the bass very lightweight), surely the other tracks still exist and are worthy of a double CD release in the correct running order?

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Ah ha, see...the track's called Watcher Of the Skies and Nad's got out his antique telescope to erm, look at the skies! Nice touch!  And then he starts signing....oops. And I thought Gabriel's and Collins' vocals in Genesis were hard enough to take. The blonde geezer the camera shot at 4.43 had the right idea. Yikes some people must be really tone deaf judging by some of the  👍 in the YT comments  🤔😕

Yikes indeed. Last time I heard vocals like that, they were bellowing 'My Way' into a karaoke machine.

A mate is going to one of the dates on this tour, asked me if I fancied it but I had a prior engagement. Sounds like I may have had a lucky escape.

8 hours ago, 4000 said:

Oh I wouldn’t listen to dream theatre, I wouldn’t actually consider that prog rock, that’s more metal.

Steve Wilson though, or before that porcupine tree, would see him over any genesis incarnation any day. Older stocks beard too. Even considering trick of the tail is my favourite album ever.