Why become a member? ×

Steve Hackett - Selling England tour.

spectoremg

18 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don’t think it was particularly hard for Phil, it’s more that fans were resistant to the change at the time. There is a difference.

Regarding the original team reunion, I think that boat has well and truly sailed. I mean, which original team is he talking about? One would presume it’s a version which involved Phil drumming which just ain’t gonna happen and I’m not sure anything would bring Peter back anyway. If he’s talking about a ‘76 version, it’s doable in theory, but undoubtedly the Collins/Rutherford/Banks camp would want to litter the set with post Hackett material which would not float Steve’s boat at all. 

I’d love to see the show, but I’m kind of resigned to it never happening.

Well said. 

Gabriel isn't interested. 

Collins can't drum and has to sit down at his gigs. 

Rutherford's happy with the low pressure Mechanics.

Banks I think would be interested. 

Hackett would snap their arms off. 

A reunion of the classic line up is therefore impossible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, toneknob said:

I think it'd be terrible - and as far as Peter Gabriel is concerned at least, lets concentrate on getting some original material out before considering putting a slipperman costume on again eh.

This is something I've never considered but now you mention it I reckon there's a decent album in them. 

Phil could maybe make the drum tracks from samples?

On 25/03/2019 at 18:47, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m not sure if there’s any interest, but since this thread seems to have at least a few Genesis fans already, I’ll post it here if allowed.

I’ve been through my ‘live recordings’ of Genesis, of which I have many, and dicovered I have a few duplicates. In the spirit of how I came to be in possession of them, I don’t want anything for them and I’m happy to pass them on with the understanding that the recipient won’t sell them either.

I’ll post the dates/titles when I get in from rehearsal tonight.

Most of them were converted from lossless (flac) to audio CD, so they’re probably a bit better quality than what’s on You Tube.

Any interest?

Ooooh yes please!!

• 7 months later...

Nad Sylvan must be doing something right. He's got people talking about it on BC. :lol:

I'm not much of a Hackett fan these days and find his recent material a tad boring. Loved the first few solo albums which i bought at the time and saw them few times many moons ago with Richard Cadbury, John Hackett, Nick Magnus, John Shearer and Pete Hicks.

That was an amazing band and all very talented musicians playing a style of Prog i really enjoyed at the time.

Altho Nad is playing characters i guess its what made Peter Gabriel  so popular with Genesis. I've only seen snippets on youtube and can't really take to him. The band still sounds quite good in the songs i recognise.

Sometimes its nice to take an old classic and do something a little different with it. Hackett is now 69 so maybe he just gets a little bored with the old songs :lol:

On an aside i managed to get the full Hackett autographs mentioned above on the Genesis Seconds Out Music book along with the full Genesis line up on the Duke tour including Tony Smith and even a few of their wives at the time signed it for me. Yes i was a bit of a Genesis nerd in my teens. Still have it too. That was the day Phil Collins bought my lunch for me and chatted with us for ages in a hotel lounge in Glasgow. Top bloke is our Phil.  Happy days.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:31, 4000 said:

However my problem with most modern Prog is I don't like it very much. For a start it tends to veer far too much towards the rock end of the spectrum for me (I love classic rock, but that & prog generally don't mix very well IMO), e.g. the dreadful Dream Theater. Unfortunately it may be 40 or 50 years ago but nothing has come close since IMO. 

You should check out Landmarq, featuring Basschat's very own @Stingray5…..

Edited by mangotango
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davo-London said:

I cannot believe Hackett hasn't seen all the criticism of Nad online.  Blimey, his unflinching devotion to something so at odds with common sense might have been part of the reason why he left Genesis in the first place?

I can't watch it.

Davo

I'm sure I saw an interview where the subject was broached - he acknowledged it but basically said 'I don't care. I like him.'

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm sure I saw an interview where the subject was broached - he acknowledged it but basically said 'I don't care. I like him.'

Which is the whole point of having your own group isn't it. I am not a fan of Nad but it doesn't make any difference, I am still going to see them anyway, so its not like he is losing out!

Because of the debate going on here i went back and watched a few of his youtube clips and thought he did a pretty god version of Gabriel era songs and wasn't too bad a singer. Some of the outfits were a bit weird but we said the same about Gabriel when he did them back in 70's. 

Its all part of the show i guess. He certainly wouldn't put me off going to see Hackett.

Dave

Saw the show on the weekend in Cardiff. Nad was fairly decent, I thought. He's strictly there to impersonate Peter Gabriel, and amusingly wasn't even on stage for the heavily harmonised "The Virgin and the Gypsy", which Hackett said he'd never done live before because he "didn't have enough singers in the band"

2 hours ago, pineweasel said:

Saw the show on the weekend in Cardiff. Nad was fairly decent, I thought. He's strictly there to impersonate Peter Gabriel, and amusingly wasn't even on stage for the heavily harmonised "The Virgin and the Gypsy", which Hackett said he'd never done live before because he "didn't have enough singers in the band"

For all my yap I've been persuaded by a friend to go tonight. That song's one of my favourites.