Why become a member? ×

Steve Hackett - Selling England tour.

spectoremg

19 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Don’t get me wrong, Cinema Show is a great song and the version on Seconds Out is grand, but it doesn’t fit as a document of that tour.

Genesis went on to do the same trick with Three Sides Live 🙄

I recall an interview with Tony Banks that said that (early on at least) they treated live albums as much as a "best of" rather than a document of a full concert (or at least a full setlist, gleaned from multiple gigs, like Live Over Europe). Bootlegs are you friends for full gig recordings of course.

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

Pedant time: there's bass pedals all the way through it but I know the bit you mean. 

Yes, I realised my error the moment I hit Submit :lol: at least you know what I mean by 'kick in'. For me, that live version of Afterglow knocks the living daylights out of the studio one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UglyDog said:

Yes, I realised my error the moment I hit Submit :lol: at least you know what I mean by 'kick in'. For me, that live version of Afterglow knocks the living daylights out of the studio one. 

I don't think it's been out of there live set since they recorded it?

On 22/03/2019 at 21:13, Woodinblack said:

Oh I wouldn’t listen to dream theatre, I wouldn’t actually consider that prog rock, that’s more metal.

Steve Wilson though, or before that porcupine tree, would see him over any genesis incarnation any day. Older stocks beard too. Even considering trick of the tail is my favourite album ever. 

I like Steven Wilson (I have a signed copy of The Raven Who..) but not within a million miles of Genesis or Yes. I saw Porcupine Tree live on the recommendation of a friend but didn’t really enjoy them much if I’m honest. Again, too rocky for my taste in prog. I want 12 strings, flutes and mellotrons. 😉 The Spock’s Beard I’ve heard was ok-ish, a bit meh. 

Edited by 4000

On 22/03/2019 at 15:41, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just listening to Steve's last gig with Genesis. 42 years ago this year!

Olympiahalle, Munich - 3/7/77

Squonk

One For The Vine

Robbery, Assault & Battery

Inside and Out

Firth of Fifth

The Carpet Crawlers

In That Quiet Earth

Afterglow

I Know What I Like

11th Earl of Mar

Supper's Ready

Dance on a Volcano

Los Endos

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

The Musical Box

I never did quite understand why they put The Cinema Show (from 1976) on Seconds Out when they had other tracks like One For The Vine that they could have used.

I think One FTV is without question my least-favourite so-called ‘classic’ Genesis track. I’ve never really liked it much.

On 22/03/2019 at 13:39, Rich said:

Aha, I reckon you're thinking of progressive metal. There's plenty of modern progressive music/rock that doesn't veer into metal territory. Off the top of my head there's Arena, Frost*, Riverside, Threshold, Steven Wilson just for starters. Youtube can be a goldmine. (there's also loads of really good prog metal out there too, but it doesn't sound like that's your thing.)

Naturally, 'good' is in the ear of the beholder and all this is just IMO etc, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who go "Riverside? bleucch!".

I just listened to some Riverside and based on what I heard you can count me in the “bleuchh!” category. Not for me I’m afraid, still way too rocky for my taste in Prog. I just don’t like big distorted guitars in my Prog. Steven Wilson I’ve already commented on. I’ll give the others a listen.

58 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I like Steven Wilson (I have a signed copy of The Raven Who..) but not within a million miles of Genesis or Yes. I saw Porcupine Tree live on the recommendation of a friend but didn’t really enjoy them much if I’m honest. Again, too rocky for my taste in prog. I want 12 strings, flutes and mellotrons. 😉 The Spock’s Beard I’ve heard was ok-ish, a bit meh. 

Fair enough. Steve Wilson is my idea of Prog, and for me builds on the shoulders of Genesis and Yes. Don't get me wrong, I loved them, they were the foundations of everything but I need something a bit fresher. Although obviously Steven Wilson / porcupine tree do kind of love their 12 strings, flutes and melatrons!

Spocks beard I find very variable, but some albums / tracks I love and some leave me cold. I suppose like Genesis (not so much Yes). 

On 22/03/2019 at 18:37, UglyDog said:

Yikes indeed. Last time I heard vocals like that, they were bellowing 'My Way' into a karaoke machine.

A mate is going to one of the dates on this tour, asked me if I fancied it but I had a prior engagement. Sounds like I may have had a lucky escape.

I would say he sounded better than that when I last saw them. Maybe he got better with time. He still does the stupid theatricals though that I could do without.

I love Rick Beato, but I find his WMTSG series is more What Are The Constituent Parts Of This Song rather than why they're Great.

Watching it now. I wonder if he'll point out that the 12-string's high E pair is actually tuned to a D which makes it a million times easier to play. 

1 minute ago, toneknob said:

I love Rick Beato, but I find his WMTSG series is more What Are The Constituent Parts Of This Song rather than why they're Great.

Watching it now. I wonder if he'll point out that the 12-string's high E pair is actually tuned to a D which makes it a million times easier to play. 

I don't think he does. Perhaps mention it in the comments?

On 22/03/2019 at 15:41, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just listening to Steve's last gig with Genesis. 42 years ago this year!

Olympiahalle, Munich - 3/7/77

Squonk

One For The Vine

Robbery, Assault & Battery

Inside and Out

Firth of Fifth

The Carpet Crawlers

In That Quiet Earth

Afterglow

I Know What I Like

11th Earl of Mar

Supper's Ready

Dance on a Volcano

Los Endos

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

The Musical Box

I never did quite understand why they put The Cinema Show (from 1976) on Seconds Out when they had other tracks like One For The Vine that they could have used.

I've listened to a couple of recordings from that tour and they sound great. 

• Like 1

Ha ha...

A bit of direct questioning from a reader in a recent Q&A in Guitar World...

Why don’t you change the singer, Nad, in your live band? —Giampaolo Palazzo

Steve H.: I’ll answer that without rising to the bait! I think the assessment of whether someone sings or plays wonderfully is entirely subjective and it’s easy to apply prejudice. Personally, I think he’s a really good singer and he does the Genesis stuff really well. You could have a hundred different singers, and someone would have something to say. It’s pretty big shoes to fill. It was hard for Phil Collins singing Peter Gabriel material, and there was criticism there at first. I understand fans would like to turn the clock back and put the original team together. I’ve always said I’m up for a reunion if the other guys were.