Why become a member? ×

Steve Hackett - Selling England tour.

spectoremg

Firth of Fifth again. That guitar bit again including the excruciatingly dull piano intro. 

Cinema Show. There was never a lead guitar part in the instrumental section so stand by for some bolted on noodling. 

Some new stuff from his latest home studio offering. 

Nad Sylvian's crappy vocals and cod theatrics. 

Be afraid. 

2 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Firth of Fifth again. That guitar bit again including the excruciatingly dull piano intro. 

Cinema Show. There was never a lead guitar part in the instrumental section so stand by for some bolted on noodling. 

Be afraid. 

Wouldn't buy a ticket then if I was you...

11 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Be afraid. 

Odd that you'd start a thread just to slag off a gig you're presumably not planning to attend.  If we all did that the basschat servers would fill pretty quickly. 

2 hours ago, jacko said:

Odd that you'd start a thread just to slag off a gig you're presumably not planning to attend.  If we all did that the basschat servers would fill pretty quickly. 

Are you the BC opinion chief constable? It's a bit of fun. I happen be a big fan but his standards have slipped lately. 

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, the last one of his I saw was excellent as should this be. Selling England was my introduction to Genesis so I have a soft spot for it.

However, no Hackett for me this time round. I’m going to see these guys again instead....

5A796913-F9F0-4656-985B-C2ABCCE98B60.jpeg

Saw them last year - SUPERB! Even better the year before when they replicated the Selling England tour. 

13 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I can’t ignore the lead singer... he’s just... THERE. Like a creepy uncle.

Hackett would have been better off finding out if the singer from The Watch was available but since he's used Sylvan so much now it's probably the easy option.

Edited by KevB

20 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

I happen be a big fan but his standards have slipped lately. 

I agree. Some of the vids and artwork he's put out recently.. yikes.

Still some great live stuff though, especially with Lee Pomeroy on board. I wonder what happened with Gary O'Toole...?

Saw Hackett on the last (?) tour and have seen The Musical Box a few times. To be honest, I enjoyed Hackett but I enjoyed TMB a lot more. Unless you're going to take songs somewhere else entirely I favour sonic authenticity, and in spite of Hackett being an original band member, TMB have that over his band, who just seemed to do a looser version of pretty much everything. Plus the extended solo at the end of Supper's Ready really just felt surplus to requirements. And of course there is indeed Nad, who I was kind of hoping would fall off the back of the stage at some point. What was Steve thinking using him?

1 hour ago, KevB said:

Hackett would have been better off finding out if the singer from The Watch was available but since he's used Sylvan so much now it's probably the easy option.

Gabriel singing Duchess? That's just weird, man.

Some of his phrasing's a bit odd...

Prog people would say it's the best Genesis album. I'd go as far as saying it's got their best songs on (Firth, Cinema Show, Moonlit Knight if you can take the endless coda), some ok (I Know What I Like) and filler (the rest). Looking forward to the gig as much for the Spectral Mornings content as the Selling England. The last show of his I saw at the RFH last year was really good. Jonas has done the best job as a Rutherford in Hackett's band except Lee Pomeroy. 

TMB put on a great show but I have suspicions that there are more than five of them doing the job. The Watch are pretty good as well.

Edited by toneknob

19 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Be afraid. 

Yes I won't go see Steve again for this reason

Nad Sylvian's awful vocals

i don't understand why he uses him

ive seen lots of Genesis tribute bands and many of these have vocalists infinitely better than Nad

sorry Nad if you're reading this!

5 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I agree. Some of the vids and artwork he's put out recently.. yikes.

Still some great live stuff though, especially with Lee Pomeroy on board. I wonder what happened with Gary O'Toole...?

Has he parted company with Gary O'Toole?

And a shout out for Nick Beggs while I'm here. I can't love Lee - that upside down string thing is just wrong.

4 hours ago, toneknob said:

TMB put on a great show but I have suspicions that there are more than five of them doing the job. The Watch are pretty good as well.

There was one song in the last tour where the singer played bass but apart from that I've never even sniffed an extra bod and trust me I'm a spotter! U2 are your band for that.

3 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Has he parted company with Gary O'Toole?

And a shout out for Nick Beggs while I'm here. I can't love Lee - that upside down string thing is just wrong.

Yeah.. it looks like he's playing with The Dire Straits Experience now.

I'm the opposite re: Beggs / Pomeroy. LP just nails it and looks happy. Beggs.. I can't connect with.

Will see anything with Beggs in anyway. 

Seems the music box are popular here. Maybe it is because I was never an 'old' genesis fan, I am a 'Rating everything from trick of the tail downwards' sort of guy, so they didn't move me at all. I must admit as a prog guy I have a bit of a problem in that most people I know who want to do prog just want to rehash genesis stuff (or yes). Sure I like them but that was 40-50 years ago and there has been a lot of decent stuff since then

51 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Will see anything with Beggs in anyway. 

Seems the music box are popular here. Maybe it is because I was never an 'old' genesis fan, I am a 'Rating everything from trick of the tail downwards' sort of guy, so they didn't move me at all. I must admit as a prog guy I have a bit of a problem in that most people I know who want to do prog just want to rehash genesis stuff (or yes). Sure I like them but that was 40-50 years ago and there has been a lot of decent stuff since then

The two band's you quote paved the way for prog. Modern prog's a facsimile IMO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spectoremg said:

The two band's you quote paved the way for prog. Modern prog's a facsimile IMO. 

Yeh, there are loads of people with those opinions. They did pave the way for some of the stuff we get now, which is great. It was good at the time, but just like rock coming from the beatles, you can appreciate the origins without having to listen to the same 30 songs for your entire life.

Its why it is so hard to do something interesting in prog.

14 hours ago, spectoremg said:

There was one song in the last tour where the singer played bass but apart from that I've never even sniffed an extra bod and trust me I'm a spotter! U2 are your band for that.

Yes, I'm a spotter/sniffer as well.

• Haha 1