Why become a member? ×

Returning to playing

Crusoe

Hello all. I'm Gary and I started playing bass around 27 years ago. A friend an I had formed a band with a temporary bassist. His musical interests didn't exactly gel with ours so I moved from vocals to bass. I got my first bass and amp soon after we formed - a Squier Silver Series Jazz bass and a Carlsbro Viper 30W combo, both of which I still have to this day. The band didn't last long and other things took over so I stopped playing for some time until recently when I was clearing out the wardrobe and got the bass and amp out. At first I didn't think the amp was working but somehow I got it kicked back into life and have started practising again. As far as influences go I suppose Steve Harris, John Entwhistle, John Paul Jones, Peter Hook, JJ Burnell all have to be up there.

• Like 2

Welcome! 

If it was in a case you cared about it - unlike one I bought on eBay a few years back (for pennies) which was thick with dust and drips because the guy had given the case to this brother! (Cleaned up nicely 🙂 ) 

It will come back like riding a bicycle, let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josie said:

Welcome! 

If it was in a case you cared about it - unlike one I bought on eBay a few years back (for pennies) which was thick with dust and drips because the guy had given the case to this brother! (Cleaned up nicely 🙂 ) 

It will come back like riding a bicycle, let us know how it goes!

It's in pretty good nick. There's a bit of rust on the poles of the pups but it plays fine.

IMG_20190320_201231.jpg

• Like 2

Nice introduction Gary and welcome back to the world of bass, how are you finding it with giving it a break? More passion and interest than before? 

Not too bad equipment as well, pretty much ready to go pro 😉 hahaha Just.... word to the wise, steer clear from the marketplace on here. You'll end up penniless like the rest of us haha.

Welcome to BassChat and I hope you enjoy your stay here. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Nice introduction Gary and welcome back to the world of bass, how are you finding it with giving it a break? More passion and interest than before? 

Not too bad equipment as well, pretty much ready to go pro 😉 hahaha Just.... word to the wise, steer clear from the marketplace on here. You'll end up penniless like the rest of us haha.

Welcome to BassChat and I hope you enjoy your stay here. 

Thanks Bigsmokebass. Obviously it will take a bit of time to get the strength back in my fingers, but I am enjoying it. I've bought a couple of books with play-along features (one general music with a lot of theory stuff, one Iron Maiden and one punk rock). I'm already penniless so I think I'll be fairly safe in Marketplace. I've already got a couple of other expensive hobbies (cycling and photography) and have managed to learn how to avoid GAS. :D

4 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Thanks Bigsmokebass. Obviously it will take a bit of time to get the strength back in my fingers, but I am enjoying it. I've bought a couple of books with play-along features (one general music with a lot of theory stuff, one Iron Maiden and one punk rock). I'm already penniless so I think I'll be fairly safe in Marketplace. I've already got a couple of other expensive hobbies (cycling and photography) and have managed to learn how to avoid GAS. :D

Haha I'm the same, if not my basses and equipment then my bicycles take up my time and money haha. 

Keep up the practice and with the books and I'm sure soon we'll see you excel in your playing and enjoy delving more info your theory. Fun stuff. My dad's off like a rocket, wondering if I'm playing good enough for my 15 years of play time😂

• Like 1

Hi Gary / Crusoe,

Welcome to BC, and welcome back to playing, after a long break. I too returned to bass, after an absence of around 25 years :o
bigsmokebass asks the question of whether you now have more passion - well after my long break, I can say I definitely have :)

Not played a Squier Silver Series - but I've heard great comments from people who've owned or played them
I've got 3 basses from the Fender Japan factory (2x Squiers and a Fender) and they're great basses - So I think you've got a great bass to re-start your bass career

Join in with the chats on this forum, but Most of all.... have fun

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Hi Gary / Crusoe,

Welcome to BC, and welcome back to playing, after a long break. I too returned to bass, after an absence of around 25 years :o
bigsmokebass asks the question of whether you now have more passion - well after my long break, I can say I definitely have :)

Not played a Squier Silver Series - but I've heard great comments from people who've owned or played them
I've got 3 basses from the Fender Japan factory (2x Squiers and a Fender) and they're great basses - So I think you've got a great bass to re-start your bass career

Join in with the chats on this forum, but Most of all.... have fun

Thanks for the welcome Marc. I've always been happy with the Silver Series. It makes me feel old using what some people would probably now term a "vintage" bass. :D