Why become a member? ×

Norman's jazz bass

Fishman

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m sure Andy had that in his shop in about 2011 , or was that another one of Norman’s basses .

That’s the one! Apparently Norman would have handed it over to you too.

I’ve actually met Norman (shared a bill with Wilco Johnson) and he was a lovely chap. Funny smell coming from one of his cigarettes mind you... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I’ve actually met Norman (shared a bill with Wilco Johnson) and he was a lovely chap. Funny smell coming from one of his cigarettes mind you... 

Owning the bass and Norman handing it over would be something special 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Wilko played a venue I worked at a few years back before his illness and from what I saw backstage they don't leave home without at least a brick or two!

An old mate of mine has been teching for Norm on both Blockheads and Wilko duties, which must be cool. I should really get in touch sometime and see if we can hook something up because I'd love to have a proper chat with him. On the Wilko date I saw him real close up in a 150 cap venue and the man just does not make mistakes.

Edited by borntohang

9 hours ago, borntohang said:

Wilko played a venue I worked at a few years back before his illness and from what I saw backstage they don't leave home without at least a brick or two!

An old mate of mine has been teching for Norm on both Blockheads and Wilko duties, which must be cool. I should really get in touch sometime and see if we can hook something up because I'd love to have a proper chat with him. On the Wilko date I saw him real close up in a 150 cap venue and the man just does not make mistakes.

I’ve never seen the Blockheads but I’d love to. I must admit I’d never heard of Johnson before the gig (I was only 21), but was totally blow away. He used our Hiwatt rigs and just blew everyone away.

They were thoroughly lovely guys and I wish I’d had more time to chat with them now.

Wow. Wish I had Norman's Jazz - I'm dead jealous!

I never saw Norm with the Blockheads. But I did see him with Wilko and Dylan Howe (on drums) a few years back.
I've got to say, they blew me away. A 3 piece band with such a full sound, and boy, did they rock
Norman's playing was superb. Wish I owned his Jazz... or his "rhythm stick" P/J
Wish I was half as good as him :)

I was lucky enough to see Ian Dury and The Blockheads in 1978 at the New Theatre in Oxford – as was normal for the times, they came onstage wearing brown paper bags on their heads – saw Wilko supporting the Stranglers around 2007 with Norman and Dylan – can't help thinking that the period since the 60s/70s has probably been the best – is the future going to be any good? discuss!

Thinking back - I seem to recall seeing a magazine article (or was it on the internet?) featuring Norman
Where he sold his Jazz bass, and from memory, he didn't get much money for it, given its' history
Although again, I think I also read that he did most of his recording work with his Precision - the Jazz being used mainly for live work....

Edited by Marc S

I lusted after that bass when it was up for sale but in no way could I justify buying it!

Seen Norman play quite a few times over the last decade or so, always a joy. I might go to Margate Rocks in September where both Wilko Johnson and The Blockheads are playing, sadly not on the same day.

19 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

What’s Norman’s history with Fenders? Thought he was a Precision man. 

I met Norman back on 2007 in a guitar shop I was working in. He bought in his Jazz and Precison and we sat and chatted while I had them plugged in (and drooling). He said his late wife bought him the Precison in the early days and that it is his most special bass, he calls it the Rythmn Stick. The Precison is outrageously good, with a killer neck, super worn in. He bought the Jazz after, saying he prefered the neck for gigs, but it wasn’t as sentimental to him. We took the Jazz apart to check it out and he seemed really chuffed to find out more about it. 

Top bloke. 

• Like 3