Why become a member? ×

Strings...oh god not again!

Moos3h

Hi all

I realise this may have been done to death but given my requirements might be different to others' I figured it was worth an ask.

I ... Like... New Strings (and I cannot lie)!

I really like the sound of new strings (Nickel rounds being my standard) but after one gig or rehearsal mine go totally dead and lifeless. 

Are there a particular brand that retain that 'just stepped out of the salon' sound of fresh strings? Or do I have to resign myself to taking out shares in Rotosound and just replacing them when the thrill is gone?

Cheers,

James 

Guest oZZma
26 minutes ago, Moos3h said:

I really like the sound of new strings but after one gig or rehearsal mine go totally dead and lifeless. 

Have you tried washing your hands? :biggrin:

1 minute ago, Moos3h said:

What's the theory behind the NYXLs? How do they differ from the normal D'ads? Hard to tell from the marketing speak!

I don't really know the tech blurb but i was given a set to try a few years back and they lasted about 8 gigs for me and still sounded ok when i eventually took them off. I usually struggle to get 4 gigs out of strings - as soon as the zing is gone i change them......

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I don’t know re their nickel strings but Warwick Red Label Steels are very similar to Rotosound Steels but last me about 3 times as long.

What's the feel like? I tend to find playing Steelies is like having strings covered in sandpaper, or have I chosen badly in the past?

I use Elixirs currently, never had anything but hugely positive things to say about them. They outlast everything else and make the hefty initial outlay well worth it over the course of a year.

D’Addario NYXL strings are also incredibly long lasting, especially as they do not market them as a ‘long life string’. They don’t stay super bright, but they have kept a good level of brightness the months I have had them on, which is amazing considering a set of Ernie Ball Slinkys (which I do love) last me a couple of practices and gigs and then need replacing.

I hate to be controversial and potentially antagonise any fans, but I personally find Rotosounds strings dreadful. 

• Like 3

The trouble is, a lot of people say their strings retain brightness for ages but to me they sound dead. I like brand new brightness and only brand new brightness. Cleaning your hands helps. Boiling gives you another extension of life but the only real answer is to find a supply of cheap enough new strings. I like Stainless for their brightness. 

13 hours ago, Moos3h said:

Funnily enough, I'm the same. Swear by them on acoustic but for bass I was left very disappointed and at nearly £45 a packet they should be frigging amazing!

I tried them on my bass too. Rubbish and dull sounding. As you say, on acoustic they are incredible but they just sound pants on a bass.