Why become a member? ×

Cracking live albums but a bit meh in the studio

Coming back to work I was playing  Elo Kiddies off Cheap Trick's Live at Budokan (2 CD version) ..loud. How much better are versions of tunage here than on the studio albums which IMO are generally a bit well..meh.  Come to think of it there are a few other bands whose live albums p*$$ all over owt they've done in the studio like AC/DC's If You Want Blood, and The Tubes What Do You Want From Live,.  I know some peeps will say some live classics might have had a bit of tweaking - e.g. Lizzy's Live & Dangerous -  but studio tarting up nor not what gets else gets the nod...

It's all about how well the energy's been captured in the recording, overdubs or not: Blackfoot's Highway Song Live, for example, opens a storm...as does Maiden's Live After Death...

There's a stonking YouTube vid of RATM from PinkPop in Holland about a million years ago (OK, 93) doing Killing In The Name, and for a mid-afternoon set in a field it's pretty extraordinary...

Ramones’ It’s Alive, is probably one of the finest live albums ever put out. The studio stuff was good rather than eh, but in places the production really held them down a bit, but the live versions of all the popular stuff like Surfing Bird, I wanna be sedated, Suzy is a Headbanger, Sheena is a punk rocker, happy family, here today, gone tomorrow... and so on really captured them at their best and at their height.

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess
  • Like 2

Slightly sneaking in under the 25 years, i love Metallica S&M, the orchestra just adds an epicness. I know lots of 'fans' hate it, but they probably also downloaded it off Napster so can bum off.

I watch a lot of live stuff on youtube now - Muse live at 2018 Rock in Rio is pretty awesome... See also St Vincent - still super slick but i like there being extra band members and dressing up.  What's the point of being in a band if you don't get to dress up?! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mudpup said:

UFO Strangers in the Night is another gem. I cant listen to the studio versions of the same songs..... 

Yup.......

1 hour ago, burno70 said:

Wow - are we all old farts on BC? 

Yup.........:i-m_so_happy:

1 hour ago, Low End Bee said:

Dr Feelgood - Stupidity (live). Never sounded loose and sweaty enough on the studio LPs.

Yup.......

2 hours ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

Ramones’ It’s Alive, is probably one of the finest live albums ever put out. The studio stuff was good rather than eh, but in places the production really held them down a bit, but the live versions of all the popular stuff like Surfing Bird, I wanna be sedated, Suzy is a Headbanger, Sheena is a punk rocker, happy family, here today, gone tomorrow... and so on really captured them at their best and at their height.

Yup.......

Neither of these meh in the studio, but IMHO improved live - 

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

Bursting out - Jethro Tull

4 hours ago, burno70 said:

Wow - are we all old farts on BC? No albums within the last 25 years listed so far?

Whilst I agree that Iron Maiden's Live After Death is a ferociously good live album - I love the studio versions of those songs too.

Oh go on then....

Alter Bridge Live at the Albert Hall with the Parallax Orchestra - recorded last year and released a few months ago. A fabulous recording of an epic gig. I love the band/songs anyway but the addition of the orchestra and the amazing surroundings made for a massive night :-)