Why become a member? ×

Hello

Robbo61

Just thought I would introduce myself to the Forum and say hello, very late starter to Bass I am knocking 58 so maybe a bit long in the tooth to start learning but here goes I will give it a go. I started playing about 3 months ago bought myself a cheapish Revalation Jazz Bass copy and just recently a Yamaha not sure of model as it was second hand but it's got the 2 jazz type pick ups also picked up a little Ampeg practice combo and a tiny Blackstar Fly 5w battery amp which is proving useful sounds bloody awful but ok with headphones, any guidance, tips will be welcome thanks and cheers Robbo.

• Like 2

Hello and welcome!

I started last year, aged 51, At this rate we'll be starting an "over 50's learners" sub- forum 🤣 

Best advice, play every day. Even if it's only a few minutes noodling. It takes a long time to build muscle memory, and you lose it quickly. Two weeks of not playing due to work/life/tiredness sets you back two months. Or it least it does me ☹ 

Lots of friendly folks here though, join in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Richard R said:

Hello and welcome!

I started last year, aged 51, At this rate we'll be starting an "over 50's learners" sub- forum 🤣 

Best advice, play every day. Even if it's only a few minutes noodling. It takes a long time to build muscle memory, and you lose it quickly. Two weeks of not playing due to work/life/tiredness sets you back two months. Or it least it does me ☹ 

Lots of friendly folks here though, join in.

Thankyou

12 hours ago, StevieE said:

Hey Robbo

Always remember, YouTube is your friend :) there's a great channel called Cover Solutions, where the lad does a play along to a wide range of songs with the tab running at the top of the screen. Best of both worlds as you get the exact notation and get to mirror his fingering.

Good luck and enjoy! 

Thanks

Welcome Robbo! I started at 59, four years ago, long hard battle with confidence to get started, but I'm now in a band with peeps I love and we're starting to get some nice little gigs. It's never too late 🙂   

Very best wishes and let us know how it goes. 

• Like 2

Hey Robbo, never too late to start my friend. I got my dad playing guitar, he's a year older than yourself but only a few years back he started and took to it like a duck to water, really enjoying it, never understood why he didn't do it sooner (perhaps not too soon or I wouldn't be here 😂) and something that's keeping him busy and still learning things new. I mean, tell me a dad that doesn't know everything? Haha

Also had a few customers in my old workplace, many many years your senior who wanted to take up instruments to help with things like arthritis, dementia and other ailments*... Personally you're never too late to start 😉👌🏻

*This is what I was told by the customer and nothing Ive researched, understand or approve but I do back, as I'm sure learning something new to keep your mind young and keeping your hands busy can help backpedal certain things. 

That aside..... Some nice gear you've got and also welcome to the Yamaha club, we'll expect pics posted if it's a BB model 

Enjoy the forum and welcome to BassChat 😁

Edited by bigsmokebass
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, josie said:

Welcome Robbo! I started at 59, four years ago, long hard battle with confidence to get started, but I'm now in a band with peeps I love and we're starting to get some nice little gigs. It's never too late 🙂   

Very best wishes and let us know how it goes. 

Thanks will do

18 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Hey Robbo, never too late to start my friend. I got my dad playing guitar, he's a year older than yourself but only a few years back he started and took to it like a duck to water, really enjoying it, never understood why he didn't do it sooner (perhaps not too soon or I wouldn't be here 😂) and something that's keeping him busy and still learning things new. I mean, tell me a dad that doesn't know everything? Haha

Also had a few customers in my old workplace, many many years your senior who wanted to take up instruments to help with things like arthritis, dementia and other ailments*... Personally you're never too late to start 😉👌🏻

*This is what I was told by the customer and nothing Ive researched, understand or approve but I do back, as I'm sure learning something new to keep your mind young and keeping your hands busy can help backpedal certain things. 

That aside..... Some nice gear you've got and also welcome to the Yamaha club, we'll expect pics posted if it's a BB model 

Enjoy the forum and welcome to BassChat 😁

Thanks, not sure of the exact model but it's similar in shape to the Nathen East model but mine's black and a 4 string if I get any photo's I will try get one up.