Why become a member? ×

Car for a bass hard case?

mik4

What are your current recommendations for a car that will cope with a Gator hard case that's 1120 x 440mm?

Now that I have a Gator case for my Junior Jet shortscale it doesn't fit in my boot! I don't want to have to leave it on the back seat.

All ideas welcome

Edited by mik4
omission

I think buying a different case would be cheaper than changing your car!

In all seriousness, there aren’t too many car boots that you can fit a bass hard case in without putting the backseats down, unless it’s a shaped case. I have hard cases for all my basses but I always use gig bags when out and about as they’re far easier to handle.

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Deedee said:

In all seriousness, there aren’t too many car boots that you can fit a bass hard case in without putting the backseats down, unless it’s a shaped case. I have hard cases for all my basses but I always use gig bags when out and about as they’re far easier to handle.

I too have hard cases for my basses though i use a good quality gig bag mostly and stand the bass up in the front or back foot well with the seatbelt on it to keep it in position. I tend not to put instruments in the boot as that part of modern cars are designed as crumple zones to absorb impact. To the OP wouldnt recommend  leaving a bass unattended in a car whether it is in the boot or back seat. 

Any decent estate car you might be able to fit a hard case in. The Mondeo mentioned above would be a good bet tho as i had the saloon and the boot was bloomin huge so i'm guessing the estate version must be bigger.

I also use gig bags for rehearsals but always a hard case at gigs as there's more risk of damage at the gig itself. I also never leave my bass in the car no matter where i am.

I have a Toyota pick up mainly because of where i live but i tend to put my bass on the back seat rather than in the covered rear cabin.

Dave

9 hours ago, Deedee said:

This,

If using my own car (VW Polo or Tiggy) on a gig I use gig bags and wedge them behind the front and back seats.  I only use the hard cases when we all use the gig van.

• Like 2

I always lie my bass case along the footwell of the back seat.  It's just about wide enough in there even though it doesn't fit in the boot.

I also wouldn't leave it there unless I was driving with it.  Apart from the security issue wouldn't the fluctuations in temperature with it essentially being outside (although sheltered) rather than in an environment with a more controlled temperature be problematic for the neck?

44 minutes ago, casapete said:

I use a shaped / rigid gig bag for everything these days. Fits in my car (Astra Estate) but protects virtually as well as a bulkier oblong hard case. Mine is one of these -

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87

Quite liking that.

32 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Quite liking that.

Had mine for 3 or 4 years now Dave, and it still looks new! Chuck it into my car and our bus, and always take it into hotels when we are staying over. Good protection and lightweight for older players such as myself....👴

• Like 1

Thanks to y' All.

Roger thank you that is exactly what I needed to know, so I've been out to try a couple. 

Yes the hard case fits width ways at the very back of the Octavia (both hatch and estate) boot where it doesn't fit in most other cars. That's down to a bit of overhang behind the rear wheels and little/no obstruction of the pockets behind the wheel arches.

Anybody got any other candidates please?

When shopping for my current car I actually took my bass with me to check it would fit in the cars I looked at.  A VW golf estate accomodates a precision bass in a soft case - I think a hard case might be too big to go widthways. Strangely the audi A3 estate which shares a floorpan does not accomodate the bass because of the design which incorporates cubby holes between the rear wheels and light clusters. The design is common to all audis so it wouldn't fit in the A4 either.

The car I was gtting rid of was a Merc SLK which also accomodated the bass easily, with the roof up.  Sadly it wouldn't cope with the bass plus a speaker cab and it had to go.  I suspect a Merc SL woud fit a hard case, and the AMG version would be a lovely way to arrive at reheasral.

A possible alternative if you’re not expecting to leave the bass in the car for too long would be one with split folding rear seats and privacy glass in the back.  It won’t stop someone looking in if they’re determined, but it’s surprising how difficult it is to see anything in the back in most circumstances.

On 19/03/2019 at 09:36, Unknown_User said:

I always lie my bass case along the footwell of the back seat.  It's just about wide enough in there even though it doesn't fit in the boot.

I also wouldn't leave it there unless I was driving with it.  Apart from the security issue wouldn't the fluctuations in temperature with it essentially being outside (although sheltered) rather than in an environment with a more controlled temperature be problematic for the neck?

All of this.