Why become a member? ×

Precision advice - don't read if you hate P basses

dmccombe7

As others have said a good self build will give you all the Precision you need, buy a body in the colour you like and buy either a US or Mexican Jazz neck, bolt the two together, set it up, add your choice of pick ups and hardware and away you go, my go to Precision is a bitsa bass with a Mexcican JB neck, that gets gigged more than any of my other ones including a near mint 79 Precision, a custom shop 63 Precision and a Mexican Roadworn......either that or look for a good JV Squier

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oddly enough its the A string on my Precision deluxe that's weaker in volume when on full P pick up. It balances out more when its set 50:50. I've had to tilt the A string side of the pick up down a bit compared to the E or even the D%G string sides.

Also wasn't aware the 70's basses with maple necks were only black and natural. That's interesting wee fact as well.

I have a notion for the white with maple neck and there are modern  versions in their range i think they are the American original 50's like this and this is the bass i'll hopefully try first. I'll take the finger rest off as it will get in my way but that's a trivial issue. Have to say i really like the look of this but will depend on how it feels and sounds.

Fender American Original '50s Precision Bass

I'll make sure i check that out on any i try tho. Good point to remember.

Now that's a good looking P bass - And it'd go lovely with platform shoes! 🤩

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

I’m not sure if someone has already alerted you to this, but if they haven’t, here’s a JV on our own for sale board 

Yep Steve mentioned it earlier but i'm not keen on colour. I've got a thing for the white with maple neck.

I rather like (and just bought) an old G&L Sb-1 which is a pretty nice update to the P bass. Maybe worth a look if you don’t mind something non Fender (although I guess it’s just as much Fender at the end of the day!)

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not really looked at G&L basses and you never see them up here in Scotland so its hard to comment on their quality and playability.

Dave

That’s true. Well I found you a white and maple one :)

https://reverb.com/item/20618800-g-l-sb-1-1987-pearl-white (can be had much cheaper)

Honestly I prefer them to Fender Ps - I’ve only played a couple of older ones but they seem more consistent and with excellent pickups, tilt neck, aluminium scratch plate and nicer bridge etc

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ped said:

https://reverb.com/item/20618800-g-l-sb-1-1987-pearl-white (can be had much cheaper)

Honestly I prefer them to Fender Ps - I’ve only played a couple of older ones but they seem more consistent and with excellent pickups, tilt neck, aluminium scratch plate and nicer bridge etc

They do look interesting. I must say I don't think I've ever even seen one in the flesh.  

3 minutes ago, ped said:

Honestly I prefer them to Fender Ps - I’ve only played a couple of older ones but they seem more consistent and with excellent pickups, aluminium scratch plate and nicer bridge etc

That looks real nice, and from a time before the current "antler" headstocks (which would be a deal breaker for me) ... plus you get the G&L reputation of a serious player whom doesn't pi** about!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Deedee said:

They do look interesting. I must say I don't think I've ever even seen one in the flesh.  

I don't think G&L import many US made instruments into the UK although Andertons seem to have had a fairly large delivery of US skinny stringers recently so maybe they'll get some of the basses in at some point.

Edited by Cato

I have always thought G&L P bass stood aside as a right corker in their stable and the SB1 and 2 vastly underrated.

Had an ASAT solid and semi hollow and an L1500 - loves the looks and build quality, but the pick ups were not quite for me and dimensions of them make aftermarket mods difficult 

Edited by Cuzzie
Typo
  • Like 1

Don’t discount a slightly earlier than 2012 USA standard P.  Mines a 2008 sunburst/rosewood, and this era still has rolled fingerboard edges, graphite-reinforced neck, through strung body.  Only thing missing is the 62 Custom Shop pickup, but mine still sounds *damn* good.  You can always go down pickup replacement route if needs be...

IMG-0986.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

What do you add on for import tax etc. I'd hate to import one and find i don't like it.

About 20%. I figure if I don't like it, it'll be easy to sell as there aren't many in the UK. As I say these are very consistent unlike Fenders of different vintages and so as long as it works, it'll be great and like the others I've played. The micro tilt neck and bridge allow for a lovely low action. 

My recently bought, early 90s, MIJ Fender Precision (from Basschat), sounded perfect playing with my country band, at the weekend.

I have various posh basses but the P bass sounded perfect for the type of songs we were playing.

You can't go wrong with a MIJ P bass.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ped said:

About 20%. I figure if I don't like it, it'll be easy to sell as there aren't many in the UK. As I say these are very consistent unlike Fenders of different vintages and so as long as it works, it'll be great and like the others I've played. The micro tilt neck and bridge allow for a lovely low action. 

By the time i add on shipping at over £200 and then 20% tax etc it would take over my budget and for a bass i've never had any experience with i just think is too much of a risk for me.

At the end of the day i can get access to the Fender range quite easily and locally. Same with Sandberg range at Guitar Guitar.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I think you are narrowing down what you like, and will get there.

Knowing you like white is the Mike Dirnt Fender precision an option?

Not sure as i don't know who he is. Not keen on a signature bass unless i'm a fan of the person. but i'd certainly have a look.

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

By the time i add on shipping at over £200 and then 20% tax etc it would take over my budget and for a bass i've never had any experience with i just think is too much of a risk for me.

At the end of the day i can get access to the Fender range quite easily and locally. Same with Sandberg range at Guitar Guitar.

Dave

Yeah fair enough, and that one I sent wasn't the cheapest (they can be had for around £500 in the USA and mine was only £100 shipping (but it hasn't arrived yet lol))

I tend to gamble on buying basses I haven't tried because more often than not the ones I want to try aren't available here. It's worked for me so far! Even if I tried one in a shop I'd have no idea how much I like it until I try it at home properly and set it up for me etc, so buying it that way presents almost as much risk, just easier to send back I guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Yeah fair enough, and that one I sent wasn't the cheapest (they can be had for around £500 in the USA and mine was only £100 shipping (but it hasn't arrived yet lol))

I tend to gamble on buying basses I haven't tried because more often than not the ones I want to try aren't available here. It's worked for me so far! Even if I tried one in a shop I'd have no idea how much I like it until I try it at home properly and set it up for me etc, so buying it that way presents almost as much risk, just easier to send back I guess.

I'm not one for taking risks especially when its a lot of money involved. I usually keep the expensive basses i buy unless i have absolutely no use for it.

Dave

• Like 1

CC Music in the West End area of Glasgow had a couple of cracking Precisions in when I was in about three weeks ago: 

S9 Precision. I would guess it should go for £1200-£1500(it shouldn't cost any more than that as it isn't from the desirable period). Could be awesome like mine, could be a dog. 

http://www.ccmusicshop.co.uk/product/fender-usa-precision-bass-1979-sienna-burst/

USA 1997 60s Precision for £1200: http://www.ccmusicshop.co.uk/product/fender-1997-usa-60s-precision-bass-in-vintage-sunburst/

Also a 2001 US Standard on the site for about £800. 

Would be a fun morning/afternoon before or after wading through the options at Guitar Guitar. 

• Like 1