Why become a member? ×

Precision advice - don't read if you hate P basses

dmccombe7

10 minutes ago, ezbass said:

There is also the Lakland Skyline 44-64 to consider if you can find one in the spec you're after.

Tried a Lakland few yrs back and thought the neck didn't quite feel right. It was a J version but the neck felt rigid and heavy feel to it. It was well built and couldn't fault the quality just not for me. No idea if they have differences in quality tho ?

I've tried a few Sandberg basses and quite liked them but they were combinations of J or P pick ups with MM humbucker at bridge.

Dave

I would also go with a 2012 - 2015 US Standard. I had a white with rosewood and it was a cracking bass. Didn't look very 70's as it was a modern spin but it sounded and played great. 

If you wanted to save some money but get the looks, you could also look at the Fender FSR 70's Precision Bass. It is natural, maple neck and has the Vintage 58 pickups. I have one and its superb. About £770 new.

image_5ada25aa50bed_pbass1-max-1250x495.jpg

• Like 1

I've owned the following Ps:

Sandberg California VS

Fenders: 1964, 1978/79, MIM 2005, MIM Classic 50s, MIM Roadworn 50s, 2016 CS relic, CS Dusty Hill gold top

Limelight

Bass Centre Bruce Thomas Profile

Vintage Tony Butler signature

...and have enjoyed them all. But it is the last two that I still own, because of the necks being just right for me. If I found another P with a perfect neck but dodgy pickup then I would happily swap out the pup and loom, e.g. for a Fender "Vintage P bass" or a Limelight if available.

So neck profile and fretwork are most important for me, plus of course weight.

The fact they were also the cheapest from that list is a bonus! 

• Like 1

The nicest P I've played recently was a Fender 50's Original series. Beautiful instrument. Nicely played in feel from a spanking new bass but not a slim neck so definitely try as many as you can and pick what fits you best. One man's meat and all that...

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

You want a great Precision bass? Put in the leg-work. Try every bass in xxxx (choose your shop/s) and if you don't find the one you want then wait. More will be along later and you can try all of those.

When you've found the "one" it will be all the sweeter because you made the effort to find it.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Tried a Lakland few yrs back and thought the neck didn't quite feel right. It was a J version but the neck felt rigid and heavy feel to it. It was well built and couldn't fault the quality just not for me. No idea if they have differences in quality tho ?

I've tried a few Sandberg basses and quite liked them but they were combinations of J or P pick ups with MM humbucker at bridge.

Dave

I did a side by side with a Fenders 50s reissue, a 44-64 and a Fender Roadworn. It was a close toss up between the RW and the Lakland. I went with the RW eventually, I think because there was nothing in it and the RW was cheaper (at least back then). They've gone up a bit now https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-road-worn-50s-precision-bass-2-colour-sunburst-maple/19354 (I realise that Biggar is a really long way from Brighton, but distance selling and all that).

9 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I did a side by side with a Fenders 50s reissue, a 44-64 and a Fender Roadworn. It was a close toss up between the RW and the Lakland. I went with the RW eventually, I think because there was nothing in it and the RW was cheaper (at least back then). They've gone up a bit now https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-road-worn-50s-precision-bass-2-colour-sunburst-maple/19354 (I realise that Biggar is a really long way from Brighton, but distance selling and all that).

Mates son works in GAK so i always get a great deal on their gear but i'm never able to try the specific bass out.

Not a fan of the reliced or roadworn basses. Paying that amount of money i want the bass to look new.

Dave

The Fender American Special P Bass is discontinued, but has a slightly narrower dot inlay maple neck than the standard US model, and a shallower C section.  New it was a bargain at around £900 so a second hand one would be well under budget if you can find one.  Personally I don't use mine much as I actually prefer the sound of my Squier Classic Vibe 70s reissue (MIC).  This also has a slim-ish neck profile (only available maple with block inlay).  Its been rock solid as my rehearsal and gigging bass since I bought it as a spare, although I think the jack socket is a bit weedy but at under £500 new you should certainly give one a try.  If you are in London anytime soon PM me and you're welcome to come try both of these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I would also go with a 2012 - 2015 US Standard. I had a white with rosewood and it was a cracking bass. Didn't look very 70's as it was a modern spin but it sounded and played great. 

If you wanted to save some money but get the looks, you could also look at the Fender FSR 70's Precision Bass. It is natural, maple neck and has the Vintage 58 pickups. I have one and its superb. About £770 new.

image_5ada25aa50bed_pbass1-max-1250x495.jpg

Out of curiosity what does the FSR stand for ?

Like that bass, very nice.

Dave

I have a 2012 US Precision which I bought new about 18 months ago...olympic white, tortoise pg and maple neck.

Other than the Lakland 44-64 (Duck Dunn) I had a few years prior, this is the first Precision I've ever owned and I bought it based on comments on here about this specific era of P basses...I've got to say it's one that will stay with me the rest of my days, I'm not really one for chopping and changing every other year when I get bored with my basses, I just love everything about it and can see this being with me for the rest of my playing days.

• Like 1

If you are a Jazz player I would be looking for a B profile neck (between a Jazz and a standard Precision). These necks were prevalent between 1966 to 1973. A 66 would be well outside the budget but a later one could sneak in under your limit.

These basses are seriously good value in that they are nice and light (later 70's basses are famous for weighing a ton) and have proper tort plates.

If I were you, I'd be looking for a Fender Japan 70s reissue or I would go down the Limelight route. I have dealt with Mark and he's a great guy and he's not so far from you.

Maple is certainly brighter than rosewood so a B profile maple neck/board would be my recommendation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

i would add that i'm a fingerstyle player rather than a pick if that makes any difference.

Sure there are a few P geeks on here that can offer words of wisdom. Lozz will be one of them hopefully

Dave

Build your own. I have a Mexican body and bridge, pretty much identical to a 70s bass. Because I also became enamoured of slimmer-than-usual Jazz necks, I bought an American Special Jazz neck in maple. Add suitable tuners, pickup to taste etc. 

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its things like getting the correct neck to fit the body to ensure the string height is still ok. The soldering isn't a rob for me (i'm an electrical / instrument engineer) Then there's getting it painted and lacquered ? It all just seems like a bit of a risk to get right first time. Maybe if i had tried it a couple of times and knew exactly what the pitfalls were i might give it a go but i don't have enough confidence to go down that route.

Dave

If I can do, so can you - see my build thread 

you can get a ready painted body and rounding the board edges is easy - I used a butchers hand held knife sharpener and scraped the edges down - you could use a trem bar 

spend the money you save on a decent setup 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

70's Fender basses are notoriously variable in quality.  My '76 had the bridge in the wrong place.  The 80's Precisions might be a better choice from that perspective.   That said the classic colours from the 70's are natural ash and all black, both with maple necks.

The all-black body/scratchplate and maple neck a la Phil Lynott and Roger Walters would be my choice of this era.  You could buy this from any decade and as others have said you need to try them out.  The pre-CBS necks were, in my experience, the thinnest necks made by Fender and my '64 is very slender.  I much prefer the thinner necks and you may also prefer them judging by your love of the Geddy Lee.  In this case, a reproduction pre-CBS Precision might be the way to go.

Should be fun trying them out.  Be wary of the E string.  In my experience, the E-string can be quite variable in output and tonal quality on Precisions.

Peace 

Davo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davo-London said:

70's Fender basses are notoriously variable in quality.  My '76 had the bridge in the wrong place.  The 80's Precisions might be a better choice from that perspective.   That said the classic colours from the 70's are natural ash and all black, both with maple necks.

The all-black body/scratchplate and maple neck a la Phil Lynott and Roger Walters would be my choice of this era.  You could buy this from any decade and as others have said you need to try them out.  The pre-CBS necks were, in my experience, the thinnest necks made by Fender and my '64 is very slender.  I much prefer the thinner necks and you may also prefer them judging by your love of the Geddy Lee.  In this case, a reproduction pre-CBS Precision might be the way to go.

Should be fun trying them out.  Be wary of the E string.  In my experience, the E-string can be quite variable in output and tonal quality on Precisions.

Peace 

Davo

Oddly enough its the A string on my Precision deluxe that's weaker in volume when on full P pick up. It balances out more when its set 50:50. I've had to tilt the A string side of the pick up down a bit compared to the E or even the D%G string sides.

Also wasn't aware the 70's basses with maple necks were only black and natural. That's interesting wee fact as well.

I have a notion for the white with maple neck and there are modern  versions in their range i think they are the American original 50's like this and this is the bass i'l hopefully try first. I'll take the finger rest off as it will get in my way but that's a trivial issue. Have to say i really like the look of this but will depend on how it feels and sounds.

Fender American Original '50s Precision Bass

I'll make sure i check that out on any i try tho. Good point to remember.

Edited by dmccombe7

23 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oddly enough its the A string on my Precision deluxe that's weaker in volume when on full P pick up. It balances out more when its set 50:50. I've had to tilt the A string side of the pick up down a bit compared to the E or even the D%G string sides.

Also wasn't aware the 70's basses with maple necks were only black and natural. That's interesting wee fact as well.

I have a notion for the white with maple neck and there are modern  versions in their range i think they are the American original 50's like this and this is the bass i'l hopefully try first. I'll take the finger rest off as it will get in my way but that's a trivial issue. Have to say i really like the look of this but will depend on how it feels and sounds.

Fender American Original '50s Precision Bass

I'll make sure i check that out on any i try tho. Good point to remember.

That's is lovely, I've always like them.