Why become a member? ×

Two of the very best 112 cabs available today?

Al Krow

Came across this 3way 12" cab in the FS thread. I've not come across this cab before and can't seem to find too much online from a quick search.

Anyone got a bit more detail / experience about them - I guess @Matte_black who owns this would be a good person to start by asking! 

I'm guessing just based on the quality head it's been paired with, it's a great cab! 

Wondering what sort of price / where buy from / spec / and how they stack up against the cabs in the OP?

P_20190324_183532_vHDR_On.thumb.jpg.49f4bcddfe618eaff72b9bdb7825baaf.jpg

[Update: these 3way cabs seem to be a DIY kit, so going to be beyond the capabilities of a happy amateur like me! :) ]

Edited by Al Krow

It look similar to a fearful 12-6-1 but just looking at the mid and HF drivers it's a lookalike.

Fearful speaker are not difficult to build and would certainly give you what you are looking for in terms of performance that's for certain. 

Jim.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

There's been a lot of positive comment on this thread about the Fearless F112 which was very helpful in persuading me to give this cab a try. It's been a few months since putting in my order, but I was very pleased to take delivery of my F112 this weekend. I've had a bit of time to A/B the cab with my BF SC which has done me (and my back!) proud over the past 9 months. 

There's a link to a post from a TB'er in the OP where he compares a BF BB2 with a F112, in which he states that: "Under the exact same power amp output, the F112 consistently sounded a bit louder and hit with better LF extension, depth and authority."

I would agree with that as being a very fair summary also when comparing with my BF SC.

The F112 does the low end really well - by comparison my BF SC felt somewhat thinner. Low E down to a low B and the F112 has very considerable weight and authority.

The 5" speaker on the F112 gives it an additional mid punch that had me thinking about cutting my mids a touch rather than boosting which has been my default approach with my BF SC; in a band mix this ability to cut through is likely to come into its own. There is a two-position mid-dip switch that modestly changes the mid-range speaker’s response voicing which I suspect I will be leaving "on" whilst I get used to having a fuller mid-punch than my BF cab has provided to date.

The Fearless has a 1" tweeter to additionally cater for the high end. It is a more subtle tweeter than on my Berg CN212 (the BF SC does not have a tweeter) and although there is an ability to cut the tweeter volume to virtually nil on the F112, I didn't feel any particular need to do this, whereas on the Berg the tweeter is set at a relatively low 3/10.

Overall first impressions are very positive and seem to completely bear out the compliments given by other BC'ers on this thread. If you're a 5 string bass player and want to get an extremely capable low end from a compact unit or someone who is looking for a cab with a mid punch that will cut through the mix then, budget permitting, the Fearless F112 is definitely worth having on your shortlist.

Fearless F112 & BF SC I.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 6

Been asked by a couple of BC mates if the the arrival of the F112 means that BF SC is about to be shown the door?

Really good, balanced, earlier post by funkle. Just picking up on two positive points for the BF, which apply equally to a BF SC vs Fearless 112 comparison:

On 18/03/2019 at 14:48, funkle said:

...The F112 is a good bit heavier, even in okoume plywood. But a very good form factor, tilt backable, etc. 

The high end out of both is very good, although I like the BB2 high end a little better than the F112. Just barely.

Find myself agreeing with the second point - I suspect there may be an element of me getting used to the F112's fuller mids, but the slightly mid-scooped BF SC gives it a touch greater musicality and articulation to my ear with everything set flat in relation to the mid / higher end notes and when playing at home. Slightly paradoxical as I've found myself setting the mid EQ above unity with the BF, to compensate, to make sure I'm cutting through the mix when playing with my band.

And as to the first point: 21lbs for the BF SC - that is a killer feature and my back isn't going to let that cab go any time soon! :) 

Excellent review of the F112 by Ed Friedland which is worth sharing: https://www.bassplayer.com/gear/greenboy-audio-fearless-f112-cabinet-reviewed

Fearless F112 & BF SC II.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Welcome to the F112 club :). The lows seem overwhelming at first but once you figure out how you amp and eq best works with the speaker you'll be in tone heaven.

I still haven't found use for my second F112 in all the gigs I've played the last 2-3 years except as a PA for one gig :).

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TPJ said:

Welcome to the F112 club :). The lows seem overwhelming at first but once you figure out how you amp and eq best works with the speaker you'll be in tone heaven.

I still haven't found use for my second F112 in all the gigs I've played the last 2-3 years except as a PA for one gig :).

Believe you me, having access to a meaty and full low end from this cab is not going to be any sort of burden whatsoever! Can't wait! 😊

The F112 is a very good cab. We heard a couple at the SE Bass Bash a few years ago.

One of these cabs will have more low end than the SC because the cab is lager, but at this level personal preferences are the only deciding factor.

What one cab sounds like is critical but, even on the quietest gigs, I always run two 112 cabs. Two of these cabs just sounds better to my ears.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, krispn said:

That F112 looks great and sounds like a very capable unit. Is your VK cab gone then? I thought it was highly rated by you and others or has the weight issue reared it's head again?

The VK210 LNT is a fantastic cab. A Berg CN212 came up in the FS which I A/B'd with my VK and I couldn't deny the evidence of my ears: the Berg edged it in terms of clarity and articulation for me. So the VK has found its way to another appreciative owner and the Berg has replaced it in my rehearsal space. 

The Fearless F112 was actually supposed to take the place of my BF SC, which was kinda the rationale at the start of this thread a few months back. But I'm currently thinking of keeping both for the reasons set out in my above posts. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2019 at 15:12, chris_b said:

I used a Berg CN212 for several years. One of the best bass sounds but sadly the 46lb, or so, lift started to wear me down.

It really is an excellent cab, I agree, Chris. Right up there for me in terms of the cabs I've played through. As mentioned above it surpassed my former VK 210LNT in terms of fullness of tone / clarity and articulation. The only other cab that has gone toe to toe with it in terms of sheer sound quality was my Mesa PH 212, but that really was simply too heavy for my back to ever contemplate lugging. 

However ... :) ...

• Like 1

Berg CN212 vs Fearless F112 (brief shootout comparison)

Set up my Berg CN212 and Fearless112 for a direct head to head comparison using an AB/Y pedal connected up to my Mesa M6 amp.

Amp EQ set flat, gain at 9am and master volume at 10am. Comparison done using my passive Yamaha BB P35.

First (expected!) difference is that a 2x12 4ohm cab is a fair bit louder at the same amp settings than a 1x12 8ohm cab. Adjusting the master vol to 1pm for the F112 equalised the volume - bear in mind that the Mesa M6 is pretty non linear in terms of its volume output.

With the volumes equalised the Fearless was actually surprisingly similar to the Berg, which for me is a massive compliment to the F112 given how good I feel the Berg is! In terms of nuances the Berg was a tiny bit more mid-scooped compared to the Fearless and the F112 had a touch more mid punch and clarity - which is something that the F112 is perhaps already 'famous for' and facilitated by a dedicated mid focused 5" speaker.

The Fearless seems to be jumping through home use hurdles fairly effortlessly. Given its quality in terms of mid punch range, I can't see it being anything other than excellent in a band mix - will report back once I've had a chance to put it through its paces with a full rock band.

Berg CN212 & Fearless F112.jpg

Edited by Al Krow

On 18/03/2019 at 17:51, Al Krow said:

I've just heard from a Swedish bassist that the guy making TKS cabs has stopped production due to ill health. Is this old news? If the TKS 1126 is no longer being made, that's a real shame. 

Just spotted this while reading back through this interesting thread. Apparently TKS production is starting up again following a workshop move. There are some recent updates on Facebook. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Berg CN212 vs Fearless F112 (brief shootout comparison)

The Fearless seems to be jumping through home use hurdles fairly effortlessly. Given its quality in terms of mid punch range, I can't see it being anything other than excellent in a band mix - will report back once I've had a chance to put it through its paces with a full rock band.

I played a gig last night and didn't "need" to bring my rig (F112/GBMB800/HXStomp) Using their Ampeg SVT PR4/HLF410, it was instant regret not having my setup. The Ampeg was so mucky and booming sounding on stage, with no end of twiddling, and I couldn't hear myself all night until I asked the sound man to put some bass in my monitor...lol. If I had my rig it would have been full, clear bass all night.

Edited by TPJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pineweasel said:

Just spotted this while reading back through this interesting thread. Apparently TKS production is starting up again following a workshop move. There are some recent updates on Facebook. 

Really good to hear. I love TKS. And no peeling vinyl covering on those ones... ;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

Really good to hear. I love TKS. And no peeling vinyl covering on those ones... ;)

Ah I've just seen the two BF threads making reference to peeling tolex, so I now know what you're referring to! Hope you manage to get yours sorted satisfactorily (and that I don't face anything similar on my BF SC down the line!)

Must admit I've been very tempted by TKS cabs, given their excellent reputation; but their power handling / output suggested that I would likely need two 112s in a full band situation to punch through, and I've enjoyed the convenience of a one cab solution. Dunno if that is a fair shout regarding the TKS 112s?

Edited by Al Krow

Yesterday, I nearly put my CN212 up for sale in favour of my pair of HD112 Bergantino cabinets. After spending several hours both yesterday and today with the CN.. it has easily maintained its position as staying here. Now the HD's have to prove they can stay too ha ha ha!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Ah I've just seen the two BF threads making reference to peeling tolex, so I now know what you're referring to! Hope you manage to get yours sorted satisfactorily (and that I don't face anything similar on my BF SC down the line!)

Must admit I've been very tempted by TKS cabs, given their excellent reputation; but their power handling / output suggested that I would likely need two 112s in a full band situation to punch through, and I've enjoyed the convenience of a one cab solution. Dunno if that is a fair shout regarding the TKS 112s?

Isn't the SC finished in 'tuffcab'? If it is you'll be ok. I owned a Compact and two BB2, and from time to time they'd acquire a ding here and there, which was very very easy to retouch (I bought a small retouching kit from BF, but you can buy the stuff elsewhere).

With regards to TKS, I only have praise: the sound, the service, options, look and the built quality.

I personally don't imagine using a single 112 except as a stage monitor. It's true that I've played gigs without PA support with a single 112 or 115, but I play more gigs where that would not be enough. The Barefaced BB2 was probably the closest to being ok from the ones I tried. If I absolutely had to use only one, that would be the one. But I do prefer two in general. I think stacking two vertically gives me the best chance to get the right sound out front while still being ok onstage.

The TKS S112 is my favourite sounding of theirs. It also happens to be the cheaper one, and it's very compact and superlight. I've used a single one as a stage monitor and for rehearsals. For rehearsals, choosing the right spot close to a wall helps a lot getting the right depth, as the S112 is not very big on the low end. Using two it's a lot easier to get the right amount of 'girth'. I think they're beautifully sounding cabs with tight low end and there's something in the midrange that just works for me. They just sound good whatever I do :D  The only drawback is that they're a bit limited with regards to power handling, so you need to be sure that you're not going to put hundreds and hundreds of watts through them. Normally I would not need to, and I used a pair for all of my gigs for quite some time. Small bars without PA support? No problem... but I'd be a bit nervous about others using my gear and bumping up the lows higher than I go for. I play mostly ska/funk with prominent bass lines, so I'm not shy with volume or depth, but I realise there's other bands who like to be louder than we go for.

The 1126 is bigger, but still easy to carry, and is a lot bigger sounding with better power handling. I'd be ok with a pair of those. I used two, in fact, for a while. But I prefer the sound of the S112 so I stuck with them despite not being as powerful.

If you think a single 112 by some super-duper company might be enough for you, volume wise, then I'd really recommend you try a S212 or two S112 by TKS. Yes, it's two speakers... but they're compact and light. I'm actually more comfortable carrying a pair of S112 than a single Two10. They won't be supermegaloud... but no single 112 will be, really, and they sound great. 

• Like 1

@mcnach - great post above, thanks! Just picking up one point in your final para:

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

If you think a single 112 by some super-duper company might be enough for you, volume wise...

As you've probably guessed from my recent posts on this thread, I think I have found exactly that single 112 in the shape of the Fearless F112. This review by Ed Friedland sums it up really well:

His conclusion at 10.15+ completely summarises where I'm currently landing! :) 

"This thing will take on a gig that you would never dream you could do with a single 12"...This is top quality stuff. It's not cheap but, man, it's worth it! This is the last cabinet you may ever need."

Edited by Al Krow

5 hours ago, krispn said:

Jose I hope to see you guys at the SAMH gig at the end of the month - will you be providing the bass back line?

:(

We had to pull out. Our drummer has some family matters that will take him away that week. Are you going to be playing?

I was also going to play on the Saturday with a one-off band we put together just for that, playing Audioslave songs [1]... but the singer, after standing us up twice, has just told us she needs call it off. Shame, as I was looking forward to play those (only 6 songs). 

[1] One of the organisers got in touch with our RATM band to ask if we did Audioslave too. We said no, and that our singer didn't have the range for that. But she said she knew a girl who would be perfect, sent us a video, and we said we're in. Well... our drummer was going to be away (different drummer), but our singer said he'd do it. It would be his first gig on drums. We were all quite keen but too much faff for a one off 30min show to be looking for a singer now.

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@mcnach - great post above, thanks! Just picking up one point in your final para:

As you've probably guessed from my recent posts on this thread, I think I have found exactly that single 112 in the shape of the Fearless F112. This review by Ed Friedland sums it up really well:

His conclusion at 10.15+ completely summarises where I'm currently landing! :) 

"This thing will take on a gig that you would never dream you could do with a single 12"...This is top quality stuff. It's not cheap but, man, it's worth it! This is the last cabinet you may ever need."

Haven't we all heard that before, 'though ;)

I hope it does the job for you. It looks great too. Is yours blue like in the picture? I like the look of that one.